PDA

View Full Version : Safe to do a Underbody wash???

Shhmaudi
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I have an oil leak and I am trying to find it.. There is literally oil and grease everywhere underneath.. So I was thinking about going to one of those touch free car washes, that shoot high pressure water under your car too..

Is it a good idea? I figured if i put my HID ballasts in sandwich bags, I could get away with it.. All my sensors and wires are covered in oil anyways so im assuming water is the least of my concerns.. Or should I man up and get a can of degreaser and shove my hand w/a rag into the smallest spots known to man?[o_o]

TIA for your guys input

vortexjunkie
01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
all of your stuff is water tight to the point that the little water isnt going to do anything to your car... i use the under body wash every time im at the car wash... BUT you may find that it doesnt really do much for under the engine... you may as well find someone with a lift and go to cleaning all of it...+ rep if it helps

JoshDub
01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
get a tooth brush and go to work

but seriously, you should be okay, think of how wet it gets when it rains.

ThatA4T
01-07-2010, 09:39 PM
ya your good but it wont do much... spay it with some degreaser first and let that sit then try spraying it

A4Rob
01-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Water does not remove oil. Put your car on a lift and spray it with brake clean.

B5A4Kevin
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
^^x2

Shhmaudi
01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Water does not remove oil. Put your car on a lift and spray it with brake clean.

F your right duh... I have a family friend who is a mechanic. I am going to ask him if I can borrow his lift for an hour or so.. Does Brake cleaner really work the same as degreaser?? Funny I was looking for degreaser in my garage and all I could find was brake cleaner lol

dangerous_dave
01-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Brake cleaner works 100 times better than degreaser but you will need a few cans to clean a whole motor. I use simple green and a garden hose with the car on the lift after I fix oil leaks. When the pressure washer isn't broken I prefer to use that.

Seerlah
01-08-2010, 04:31 AM
I would not personally use a pressure washer on my engine. No telling what it can do to the car (ie pressure ripping hoses and so forth). Depending on the weather conditions of where you live (you can not do this in the tri state area at this time of year), I would just spray a crap load of engine degreaser on where you want cleaned then rinse it with a water hose. After the bulk oil is removed, spray again and wipe with a rag then rinse again (or apply toothe brush to get it really clean and get into those hard to reach places).

calvin1.8t
01-08-2010, 05:00 AM
underbody was wont do much. just get some brakleen and spray it all on the bottom.

Altech75
01-08-2010, 05:44 AM
(or apply toothe brush to get it really clean and get into those hard to reach places).

Hah, Stealing Harvard references FTW. At least I think it is, either way, made me chuckle.

Shhmaudi
01-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys once again for all your help! Im thinkin of spraying some simple green I have left over from the boat.. I also got some brake cleaner im gona spray in the tighter spots.. Might break out the pressure washer if needed but garden hose hopefully will do the trick..

Thi
01-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Careful with the simple green on aluminum. You should not let it soak on there too long. I also used it to clean my engine bay, motor, & valve cover. This is before I found out that if left on aluminum too long it will increase the rate of corrosion. My car seems fine though.

Shhmaudi
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Careful with the simple green on aluminum. You should not let it soak on there too long. I also used it to clean my engine bay, motor, & valve cover. This is before I found out that if left on aluminum too long it will increase the rate of corrosion. My car seems fine though.

Thanks for the heads up! Did the simple green work tho to clean your engine motor and valve cover??

arorem
01-08-2010, 11:32 PM
They make a uv dye you can use to check for leaks. I don't know if anyone has said that already, I'm to lazy to read. But as for cleaning off the oil, like Rob said, brake clean.

Shhmaudi
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
word!

pzp107
01-09-2010, 02:32 PM
I actually use a pressure washer with the simple green as the soaping agent that mixes in. Just buy the non dilluted kind. Works really well. Out some plastic down in the bay or he will get mad lol. But using just brake clean doesnt cut it. You will be there forever with that and you would have to brush to get that caked up grease off.

Shhmaudi
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I had some simple green sittin around. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed everything.. Then drove to a touch freee car wash that shoots water underneath. Perfektoe!