PDA

View Full Version : Piano black trim - shop quote

trick384
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
So I took all the trim pieces off my car, all nine of them and went to a local body shop. This shop is reputable and is known to do good work. After examining the pieces he thinks that it would have an issue with adhesion and the paint would probably not last in the long run. He said if I still wanted to go ahead he would paint it, but would not offer any warrantee. He figured it would take 5 hours and quoted me $700. I don't have much experience with painting rates, but that seems a bit high to me. I would have thought $300 at max. What do you guys think?

A4A4A4
01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I would get it vinyled if I were you.

EDIT: Oh shit, didn't realize you were talking about interior trim, I thought you were talking about window trim.[headbang] Yeah, $700 for that is absolutely ludicrous. I'd either paint it myself, wrap it in cf fabric, or get ocarbon to wrap it in real cf.

Stone825
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Go with a carbon fiber fabric instead.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264247

rsxsty1e
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
perhaps a different color?

www.neffywrap.com - $35

www.ocarbon.com - little more expensive, but everything he does seems to come out great

these aren't piano black, but just some cheaper alternatives..

blackedoutb5
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
i did my with some cans of rattle, primer, base, then clears and a wetsand and buff... of couse after i sanded down the fish scale effect on the stock trim
total cost me about $25 and 1 day to paint, sit overnight, wet sand then buff

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333554

But i personally would not pay $700 to have my trim painted... a shop wanted $800 to paint a jdm ver.5 sti spoiler, factory side skirts, and my projector headligths, that i had for my old subaru...

trick384
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't like the thought of vinyl, just seems like I cheaped out. As for CF I do like it, but black would be ideal. I plan on getting some more quotes first for the piano black

trick384
01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Yah Im considering going that route - painting it myself that is

ThatA4T
01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
give it a shot if it looks bad it only cost like 30 bucks

Trisha90
01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
my brothers car has piano black trim in his a4 and he just bought some rattle cans and it turned out great. :)

blackedoutb5
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM
give it a shot if it looks bad it only cost like 30 bucks

Thats why I did it myself... just incase i didn't like it it didnt cost me much... just be patient and it will turn out fine...btw i used dupli-color flat black sandable primer, their gloss black and their clear... it matches exactly with brilliant black

Coopa
01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Aren't the rs4 door pulls a sort of satin finish? I'm tempted to have satin black interior trim. I think I love my fish scale too much [rolleyes]

ThatA4T
01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
i wanna do mine but it seems like too much work getting it out haha ill probably do it when i do my headliner, pillars, and door cards in black suede... i plan on doing speakers and black rs4 style door handles as well... im getting rid of everything chrome!

blackedoutb5
01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
yes they are like a satin black
http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=328

Coopa
01-07-2010, 09:48 PM
i wanna do mine but it seems like too much work getting it out haha ill probably do it when i do my headliner, pillars, and door cards in black suede... i plan on doing speakers and black rs4 style door handles as well... im getting rid of everything chrome!

You and me both are the procrastinators of audizine [>_<]

When the door panel is off (which it has to be to do the door cards) the interior trim is super easy to take off. If you're doing speakers at the same time you'll kill 3 birds with 1 rock. Be extra careful with the b-pillar. I ended up cracking mine really bad and I was barely pulling on it...

ThatA4T
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM

When the door panel is off (which it has to be to do the door cards) the interior trim is super easy to take off. If you're doing speakers at the same time you'll kill 3 birds with 1 rock. Be extra careful with the b-pillar. I ended up cracking mine really bad and I was barely pulling on it...

haha i figured id knock out the trim, speakers, door cards in suede, and rs4 style door handles all in one! killkin 4 birls with one stone haha and i have a window regulator for my driver side window im carrying around in my trunk

as far as the b pillar goes i plan on breaking it haha i know its goona happen so i might as well just figure it into the process haha im going to get s4 b pillars anyway because i dont want to have to paint the backing piece of it black and worry about chipping and such [wrench]

jrock
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
$700!?!?! Go tell that guy to fuck himself and stop trying to rip people off. Carbon fiber is much more labor intensive and expensive in materials and no one charges near $700 to do that. Im even about to do some blue carbon fiber for someone and not chargin anywhere near that.

trick384
01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
$700!?!?! Go tell that guy to fuck himself and stop trying to rip people off. Carbon fiber is much more labor intensive and expensive in materials and no one charges near $700 to do that. Im even about to do some blue carbon fiber for someone and not chargin anywhere near that.

I know right!! That was the owner who quoted me too. Apparently they secialize in high end cars so I guess he thinks he can charge more too.

trick384
01-07-2010, 11:42 PM

haha im one as well. I probably read the diy for trim removal like 10 times before deciding to do it. Then a few days ago I decided I should do it once and for all. Once you start its not bad. I found a good tip from a member for removing the tricky long piece above the glove compartment. When you have got all five clips off, shimmy a couple zip ties between the dash and trim, one on each side of the last clip and just pull. It works great and doesnt bend the trim.

colinisneat
01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Wow this guy is raping people. You can have a notched filled, bumper filled, hood, and bumper painted on a GTI for less than that!! Heck, my BBS RS's were quoted at $250 to paint them and that's high and a lot harder to do than some interior trim. Go somewhere else or do it yourself, like others have suggested.

josmo
01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
rattle can it for cheap. and if u dont like it just buy brand new piano blacks from somewhere else

.Mad Hatter.
01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
lol @ 700$ to paint interior trim, you can get a good portion of your car painted (properly) for that much.

trick384
01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I didnt know how many of you have painted it yourself already. When I searched the forums it seemed like most people shied away from diy for some reason or another. Knowing this I think Ill try it myself. Thanks guys!

A4Rob
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM

It is a completely different process. $700 seems on par for a piano look (4-6 coats of clear with a bake between)

To do it right, $700 seems on par. Have you tried going to another body shop for a quote?

trick384
01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
It is a completely different process. $700 seems on par for a piano look (4-6 coats of clear with a bake between)

To do it right, $700 seems on par. Have you tried going to another body shop for a quote?

No I haven't yet, I plan on doing the rounds this weekend. When I asked the painter what the process was he didn't mention any baking. He said they rarely even do any wet sanding unless the paint needs fixing. He emphasized using adhesion promoter, but to my knowledge that isn't a big deal.

blackedoutb5
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
adhesion promotor helps alot with plastic pieces...

zrowcool
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
it can be had much cheaper. adhesion promoter and "flex" would help with the chipping. I dont see it costing more than 3-4 hundred

viceprp
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I was thinking about having my hazards, ashtray, and shifter surroundings done in the fish scale. Anyone have any pics of them doing theirs?

blackedoutb5
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I was thinking about having my hazards, ashtray, and shifter surroundings done in the fish scale. Anyone have any pics of them doing theirs?

do u mean painting the hazards, ashtray and shifter surrounding, to match the factory trim color.... or the fish scale pattern with them painted paino black

Coopa
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
The oem rs4 trim goes for just a little over $1k I'm pretty sure there has been piano painted trim go for 500-600 in the classifieds here.

For a true piano black paint job and what not, it's going to be 500-600 bucks. I'm not sure why its so pricy, after looking around on the internetz that seems about the average.

If you have the time and want to save a good amount of money, you may be able to get the results you want by using some good high quality spray paint/clear coat and wet sanding a ton down to like..2000 grit.

Obviously having it professionaly done will be a higher quality job.

How do you even do a fish scale finish in the first place??

blackedoutb5
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
How do you even do a fish scale finish in the first place??

thats what I was thinking, if viceprp means painting them to match the factory color i had that done before i did the piano black

terraflata
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Its been a while since I looked at my trim, but isn't the fish scale kinda of like a vinyl or carbon wrap type process.

erutz5
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Viceprp has the fish scale interior already and was wondering if anyone sells a wrap to match the ashtray, shifter surroundings, and hazards.

SeekB00st
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Viceprp has the fish scale interior already and was wondering if anyone sells a wrap to match the ashtray, shifter surroundings, and hazards.

Viceprp is?

biketsai
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
IMO, it should only cost about $100. Anything else above is a ripoff.

zrowcool
01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
100 doesnt even cover materials even at shop prices.

biketsai
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
All it takes is some sanding, adhesion promoter,and maybe 2 coats of blackpaint. If I were still in highschool bodyshop Id have it done for $50.

viceprp
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey guys. I have the fish scale interior already but wanted to finish off the hazards, ashtray and shifter surroundings. Didnt know if I could buy the material and wrap it myself or if there was a company out there already that does this. If not, then I guess I'll be going with the cf trim all around.

Coopa
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
+2 on any information on making fishscale trim