PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to AUS/NZ 1/15-31: Advice?

Blake P
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
My wife and I will be on a cruise sailing from Auckland to Sydney later this month and I was hoping you boys "down under" could give me some advice of things to do, places to eat, sights to see, etc. in the following cities:
-Auckland, NZ
-Tauranga, NZ
-Christchurch, NZ
-Dunedin (Port Chalmers), NZ
-Hobart, Tasmania
-Melborne, AUS
-Sydney, AUS

We have already booked some excursions in a few of the stops, but I'm hoping for some ideas if/when we have free time since there shouldn't be much time to spend sight seeing at each city. Also, I know it's technically summer this time of year down there, but what kind of weather/humidity should we expect in those cities to make packing a bit easier? Any information you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance![race]

Sline18T
01-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Well, weather will be hot as, have fun with it lol. Nah, Tassie wont be that hot normally 20-30*deg C. Just depending however, lol, in the lower states you will receive a dryer heat than humidity e.g Melb, Syd, Tas. If you came up to Queensland then there is ur humidity right there.

I can say there is alot of good dining in Hobart, around the Battery Point (Salamanca) As for things to do there, dont forget to go up to the top of Mt Wellington (but be warned take some warm clothes, it can be btw 10-20deg* C colder up there).
You need to go see Opossum Bay, its awesome there, as well at Port Arthur.

Basically the weather you will see in Australia will be high 20's - low 30's, however at the end of Jan (when schools go back) it normally gets hotter then as well.

gmx
01-05-2010, 03:40 AM
UV index is also high.
What have you already planned in Sydney?

Dynamite
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
lol you oz guys are wimps 10-20 degrees cold.
it really depends how long you are in places and what kinda stuff you enjoy. in Christchurch if you have the time hire a car or get on a bus and go to Kaikoura and go swimming with the dolphins or watching the whales, thats pretty fun. or if you want something relaxing head to Hanmer springs. im not much of a city person but im sure there is stuff to do there to even though I have never looked (I live there off an on). If you are into adventure sports, jet boating, bungyjumping etc head into Queenstown from Dunedin, Arrowtown is near to that its an old gold mining town that is kinda cool for a quick stop. Dunedin city has some cool old buildings if you are into that kinda thing. or if you head south at that right time of day then you can see the yellow eyed penguins, and I think another type, they are cute little fullers.
dont know the NI so well but il try.
Tauranga, Karangahake gorge has some cool walks, bush and waterfalls, White island is purpose to be good but I have never been there.
Auckland, North head has some WW2 guns and tunnels and stuff they are interesting and close to the city. bay of islands is cool. inside the city Kelly Tarltons has penguins and fish an things. There are fishing cruses on the golf and you can sail Americas cup yachts there to. Plenty of places to eat and things in the viaduct.
Hope that helped although most of the stuff I mentioned needs a full day to do it so depends on how much time you have.
hope you have fun down here.

Blake P
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! I'll have about a full day in each of the cities, plus I'm arriving in Auckland a day early and staying an extra 2 days in Sydney. I can't remember exactly where/what my wife planned for excursions so far, but know for sure there were some zoos, aquariums, animal encounters, etc. on the short list of things to do because that's what she's into. I'd definitely appreciate specific restaurant recommendations if you can suggest some with a fun atmosphere, scenic views, reasonably priced, good food, etc. that we should try.

Sline18T
01-08-2010, 01:14 AM
lol you oz guys are wimps 10-20 degrees cold.

Wat i meant was, is that the temp can be 10-20 degrees colder than what it is at the bottom of the mountain. Meaning if its 25deg at bottom of the mountain it can be 5-10deg, or even 0- -5 depending on the day.

1 time I went it was 25 deg at bottom of the mountain and it was -3 deg at the top, now if ur not prepared for it ur screwed.

eWock
01-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I just came back from a 3 week trip in Sydney. It's flipping hot considering im from San Francisco think of it as a constant heat wave. Average 80-90F and humidity to boot. I got used to it after a couple of days. Bring your sunglasses, sunblock, and hats. By the way, you don't have the exchange money here or there. You can use your bank card/ATM card and go to any ATM machine that accepts VISA or Mastercard and the surcharge is $3.00 versus $8.00+. It's easier that way and safer since you don't have to lug cash around wherever you go.
In Sydney, I believe there will have a huge week long festival in Hyde Park starting this coming weekend. Should be really good from what I hear. When you buy hot chips from Red Lea or anyplace like that (french fries) make sure you get Chicken Salt on them, it's the best.
Have a great day mate!

drkenan
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh man...sucks you're not going to get to spend more time on the South Island. Queenstown/Wanaka and Fiordland are had to beat. Although Sydney is the coolest big city I've had the pleasure to visit.

Blake P
01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Just got back from the trip and wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info and opinions. It was such a great vacation!