PDA

View Full Version : Intake pics

bOOOOstedAudi
01-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Im tired of all these emails here the link
Intake pics taken at Socal gtg (http://photobucket.com/albums/v88/Euromotive/Z%20Audi/)
OK here is some infor on it also...
on the inside of the intake that material you see is the same they use on some parts of the space shuttle literally. The heat sheild also curves around the back so there is less chance that heat from the turbo will pass through. It is simle and the are no elbows or extra piping to lower on air travel. The intake temps were around 8 degress lower with improved throttle responds, better mpg, and a not proven on paper but deffinently felt horsepower increase(no dyno). The intake will run about $220 plus shiping and will be made when you order. They are hand made also so all of them will be high quality. You also get the BOV sound that we all look for but lack with the stock airbox. They will be going on sale within the next 2 weeks and if you are going to be interested please reply with your name, number and email address and I will reply when they are ready. Thanks guys

greengravy
01-16-2005, 03:28 PM
i want to see it so i guess ygm.

white fish
01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
any numbers yet?
Dyno?
Temp?

bOOOOstedAudi
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
all in the reply email

greengravy
01-16-2005, 04:55 PM
what do you mean by you get the bov sound? does it jsut pull in air that hard that it sounds like its venting or whats up?

bOOOOstedAudi
01-16-2005, 05:12 PM
That pssssshhhhhhhhh sound that everyone is jocking

greengravy
01-16-2005, 05:13 PM
yea... but coming from an intake.... i have intakes on my other cars and dont get that pssshhhh sound thats significantly loud when i shift or whatever

derek2079
01-16-2005, 05:14 PM
^^^^^

umm well are your other cars turbo?

lol

AB18
01-16-2005, 05:15 PM
"yea... but coming from an intake.... i have intakes on my other cars and dont get that pssshhhh sound thats significantly loud when i shift or whatever"

Naah dude, this is your first turbo car isnt it? the intake just allows the dv or bov to sound louder, the airs not coming out of the intake.

greengravy
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
hahahahahahahhaha. wow..... derek... you def. just made me feel like a freaking idiot!!!!! somebody needs to flag me or get me off the computer while drinking. in other words. no, they arent

pearl1.8T
01-16-2005, 05:46 PM
ab18 is right..the pshhh noise is the sound ur dv makes when the air recirculates....u can get that sound by just putting on a cone filter....sounds pretty sick in my opinion.

greengravy
01-16-2005, 05:49 PM
yea... this is my first turbo car... ive had it for like 6 months now, maybe a little longer but never heard someone say it that way... thanks for the clarification

Rusty
01-16-2005, 05:52 PM
YGM

Rosati
01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Ygm dude

Rieger_RS4
01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
YGM

greengravy
01-16-2005, 06:43 PM
220 seems kind of steep without any results from the dyno...ill keep it in my mind but it would be more reassuring with numbers

bOOOOstedAudi
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
220 is cheap. can you find one cheaper that has the work that we put into it

Nguyen972
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
YGM
Thanks

bOOOOstedAudi
01-16-2005, 09:45 PM
anyone else

Kruat
01-16-2005, 09:50 PM
YGM

alen
01-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Kruat
YGM

1.8Titorey
01-16-2005, 10:50 PM
YGM

D Piddy
01-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by 1.8Titorey
YGM

Quattrocket
01-16-2005, 11:13 PM
what the hell does ygm mean anyways

Zodiak
01-16-2005, 11:41 PM
you got mail

AudiMV
01-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by greengravy
220 seems kind of steep without any results from the dyno...ill keep it in my mind but it would be more reassuring with numbers

usually people looking to buy an intake are looking for powerful numbers, most often you will get a 1-5 hp gain or no gain at all!! when i got my intake i felt no difference, but 220 sounds really good, cheapest for our cars anyways.....[:)]

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 12:26 AM
thank you audimv

madkebab
01-17-2005, 01:04 AM
YGM

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 01:37 AM
hope you guys are liking them keep theme coming.

no1hustller
01-17-2005, 04:56 AM
timstrayer at gmail.com

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 05:16 AM
there you go hustler

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-17-2005, 06:36 AM
and another one
YGM

Audimarc
01-17-2005, 07:12 AM
YGM

offroader1006
01-17-2005, 07:16 AM
ygm again

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 07:38 AM
damn. here click this link. http://photobucket.com/albums/v88/Euromotive/Z%20Audi/

OK here is some infor on it also...
on the inside of the intake that material you see is the same they use on some parts of the space shuttle literally. The heat sheild also curves around the back so there is less chance that heat from the turbo will pass through. It is simle and the are no elbows or extra piping to lower on air travel. The intake temps were around 8 degress lower with improved throttle responds, better mpg, and a not proven on paper but deffinently felt horsepower increase(no dyno). The intake will run about $220 plus shiping and will be made when you order. They are hand made also so all of them will be high quality. You also get the BOV sound that we all look for but lack with the stock airbox. They will be going on sale within the next 2 weeks and if you are going to be interested please reply with your name, number and email address and I will reply when they are ready. Thanks guys

yellowaudi24psi
01-17-2005, 08:13 AM
ygm

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 08:26 AM
so do you

no1hustller
01-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd be interested when I see dyno runs.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
well thats another thing. this intake is on a none chipped car but i can garantee the gains would be different on a chipped car then a none chipped. personally im happy with the gains i got

Kruat
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Is this the street version? Weren't you gonna also make a race version?

k-red
01-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Is there going to one in the works for a 2.8???

OverSpun
01-17-2005, 10:52 AM
ok..... to me, after looking at these pictures, it looks as though youve just taken the stock turbo inlet hose, connected it to the MAF, and then connected a Filter straight off the MAF, which HARDLY qualifies as making an intake considering the only parts you had to buy to accomplish that is a few hose clamps, a cone filter, and a breather filter. The only actual thing tha t i can see in there that you actually had to make is that heat shield, which is hardly worth 220 dollars. Sorry to criticize, but it just doesnt look all that good to me, and unless any of these people have seen their car without the stock airbox in, they probably wont have a good idea of what you have done to the intake of your car.

matt@oCarbon
01-17-2005, 11:21 AM
the heatshield looks suprisingly similar to my carbonio intake heatsheild. hardly spaceage nasa material.

offroader1006
01-17-2005, 11:27 AM
i agree, it seems as if i would be paying $220 for a heatshield, filter, and instructions on how to dissasemble my airbox.

jpsimon
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
hm im gunna agree with nick on this one. =\

pearl1.8T
01-17-2005, 12:19 PM
i agree too....but i have another question...where did u relocate the spark output controle module thing..haha..sorry don't know the real name of it, but its the piece with the heat sink...i don't see it anywhere in the picture....also, sorry to criticize, but that heat shield leaves space in the front too where the inlet tube comes in....for 220 i would expect the head shield to have just an opening for the inlet tube and have everything else sealed off by the heat shield

ModifiedA4
01-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by pearl1.8T
i agree too....but i have another question...where did u relocate the spark output controle module thing..haha..sorry don't know the real name of it, but its the piece with the heat sink...i don't see it anywhere in the picture....also, sorry to criticize, but that heat shield leaves space in the front too where the inlet tube comes in....for 220 i would expect the head shield to have just an opening for the inlet tube and have everything else sealed off by the heat shield

in the pics you can see the second breather filter, which means the car is drive-by-wire...which means it doesnt have a ignition module to relocate. which still doesnt answer your quesrion :)

greengravy
01-17-2005, 01:02 PM
i dont care if its a good price or not, without numbers it doesnt mean anything to me... its like why would i take out what i have, spend 220 bucks, then turn around and lose power.... all i wants the numbers

OverSpun
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
i dont care if its a good price or not, without numbers it doesnt mean anything to me... its like why would i take out what i have, spend 220 bucks, then turn around and lose power.... all i wants the numbers

yup. i agree.

greengravy
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
oh... and i dont like nasa either so the whole space material thing doesnt really do much for me, it might sucker someone but i think im good without it.... tell me how you think this intake is vs. the evo without bias... or is that not possible for you to do since you put sooo much effort into making it

Audi_Sniper
01-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Ditto ^^^^^^^

STKSKI
01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree that without numbers it doesnt mean much to me. I built a custom intake that looked just like that using a cone filter and an old heatshield from my AEM intake on my old is300. I took it out within a month and just put in a panel K&N and wont go back to an open filter without seeing some dyno numbers.

Get that thing on a dyno and you will sell more to the skeptical people. No one cares if its dynoed on a chipped or stock car. If the car gains power, good, we can expect it will with a chip. No one is even mentioning if it will lose power. If it loses power with this on a stock car it will lose power with it chipped. I swear my old one i built felt like it had quick throttle response and faster pickup off the line, but man it killed the high end. I didnt let my initial butt dyno fool me into thinking i got power. I got it dynoed and i had lost 2whp.

Another thing. Like pearl1.8t said, the spark control modual which comes on at least 99.5's, if not all prior N-DBW a4's, needs to be mounted to metal so it can disburse the heat it created. If you leave it floating, like i did on my custom intake, it will overheat and break. Mine cost me 250 bux to replace. Anyone who has this Spark ECM in their car should reconsider buying this intake until he finds a way to mount it to the heatshield or something metal that will absorb the heat.

Sorry to knock the product around. I just dont wanna see people buy something and then be unhappy. Especially people who have the ECM and will end up spending hundreds to replace it if it breaks.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 04:08 PM
That is perectly fine. I have one on my car and I feel like it is a good product and the first person who got one fells like its a good product. Of course your going to have those people have to pic apart something to try and hurt the product and thats fine. sorry noone was able to do that to your product overspun. And that was the prototype that I showed you guys. So many people wanted to see it so I did you a favor and put what I had up. you and a few others were the exact reason I didn't want to put pics up, I knew there are those certain few who are going to find reason why they don't want peole to get it. I hate how some of you guys do that but that the price you pay when you are in a forum. And asusc, your right it does look like tha same heat sheild material as the one on your carbonia that you paid so much for and pretty much got nothing but at the same time a k03 turbo look similar to a k04 when installed and we all know they arent the same. As for a dyno, we are trying to get time. if you wanna bring you portable down here, be my guest but untill we can drive to cali, unistall the intake pay for a dyno run, reinstal the intake, pay for another dyno and post nmber that when you guys see them you just going to say either that not enough to pay money for or thats to much to be actually true don't bother me about it. Keep in mind we aren't some huge company that can just spend money on anything or throw out product that we dont really car about because we have so many others. This is only or second product we have come out with and are just trying to get a start out in the market. So from now on can you guys please chill on the bashing about something you don't know about because you havent tried it. If people don't like it the word will spread and it won't sell. No hard feeling but let me do what I do. BTW the finished product will have an elbow and I dont why you didn't see it but it already does have brakets for the maf and cone.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
and I always said it would be about that price.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Also it will most likely have a top cover

alen
01-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Wait. Those who posted some useful info about this whole thing certainly get my approval to do so. You posted these pics and your product to the knowledgeable public and therefore you have to expect criticism and doubt. You stated earlier that you would sell your product for almost half the price of the competitors and that it would perform better. From the pictures it really doesn't look like it is much different from the other intakes so those people that have already had experience feel the need to chime in. I'm sorry if you have people picking apart the details of your product, but as a business who wants to sell something to us consumers you have to stand by your word. I'm not saying that you are lying, but we have the right to be skeptical about your product. Until we see some proven numbers that we are satisfied about, we will shell out the necessary money for it.

However, spending $220 for a filter, breather, and a heatshield w/ some brackets is really not that justified.

robots_are_neon
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
my best friend in got an intake in his b5 1.8t and it makes a sweet noise when he lets off the accelerator. He got a hks, i dont know why he chose them , but whatever

bOOOOstedAudi
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Nevermind. The intake wont be for sale.

WatchMeFlyBy
01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Seeing all this bashing really bothers me. The man hasn't even finished the darn thing yet. Everyone was bugging him to "post pictures"..."give us updates"..."hows the CAI coming along"...blah blah blah. All he did was post pictures up of what the PROTOTYPE looks like on his car. He's telling you he is satisfied with it on his ride, and that his first customer was happy with it too. You can't take generalizations that his CAI will make you lose power because they all do. That's BS. My Evoms CAI is the shit and i would never go back to an airbox. I agree that if he said the price was going to be lower.. he deserves to hear shit about 220$. But geez give the man time to finish his product before you start spreading bad hype about it.

UCan'tHang
01-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bOOOOstedAudi
So from now on can you guys please chill on the bashing about something you don't know about because you havent tried it.

dude, I don't think you know much about your product either. I think some constructive criticism from AZ members can be beneficial for you. quit bitching and get your CAI on a dyno and "get to know it because you've tried it before".
Only good can come out of it for your customers because:

A.) if dyno results are good then you have proof of a good product and you'll get more sales from this hard evidence.

B.) you post dyno results people won't be "bashing" your product and you won't get so much criticism for it.

I'm just telling you this because thinking like this would be a good way to start your up and coming business. Just think, if people like your stuff and you make a good name for yourself on these boards you can get a pretty good following and potentially be successful, so its just advice.
I'm also telling you this because your selling a garage built CAI to fellow enthusiasts for $220... [eek] you better be selling something thats pretty exceptional for such a mark up. Your not even making the cones man, your just cutting up some insulated sheet metal and photocopying some instructions..
I know that in a way your selling the technology but for a lot less money I can print your pics and make my own CAI if your design is so great.

UCan'tHang
01-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Nevermind. The intake wont be for sale.

ah haha

c'mon man, don't give up so easy! [:p]

take the advice we're giving you and make a killer product.

OverSpun
01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
That is perectly fine. I have one on my car and I feel like it is a good product and the first person who got one fells like its a good product. Of course your going to have those people have to pic apart something to try and hurt the product and thats fine. sorry noone was able to do that to your product overspun. And that was the prototype that I showed you guys. So many people wanted to see it so I did you a favor and put what I had up. you and a few others were the exact reason I didn't want to put pics up, I knew there are those certain few who are going to find reason why they don't want peole to get it. I hate how some of you guys do that but that the price you pay when you are in a forum. And asusc, your right it does look like tha same heat sheild material as the one on your carbonia that you paid so much for and pretty much got nothing but at the same time a k03 turbo look similar to a k04 when installed and we all know they arent the same. As for a dyno, we are trying to get time. if you wanna bring you portable down here, be my guest but untill we can drive to cali, unistall the intake pay for a dyno run, reinstal the intake, pay for another dyno and post nmber that when you guys see them you just going to say either that not enough to pay money for or thats to much to be actually true don't bother me about it. Keep in mind we aren't some huge company that can just spend money on anything or throw out product that we dont really car about because we have so many others. This is only or second product we have come out with and are just trying to get a start out in the market. So from now on can you guys please chill on the bashing about something you don't know about because you havent tried it. If people don't like it the word will spread and it won't sell. No hard feeling but let me do what I do. BTW the finished product will have an elbow and I dont why you didn't see it but it already does have brakets for the maf and cone.

i didnt do it to target you, or start any kind of arguement. As you have noticed theres a lot of "testing" of aftermarket parts on the forum that people do and criticize it openly with others, whether it be directly related to a well known tuner, or just a part. for instance "the stock BPV on the audi is worthless and it tears under higher boost" thats just the type of thing people say, as you already know. All i meant, was that its pretty obvious from your pictures that you arent selling an "intake" because the inlet host, MAF, and cone filter (as well as a breather filter for '01s) are the only "intake" elements that are actually being used because they are all put together. However, the heatshield you made does look nice, and you may want to consider selling just that because as far as i can tell, thats the only thing you actually made.

I wasnt tryin to cap you out or anything, dont let this thread take away your thunder, try to make an actual intake setup that you can sell and i'm sure if you test it and results come out good, you'll be selling. Criticizing your thread is a way of making sure people that dont know much about audis or cars for that matter have a good idea about what they are getting into and what actually went into the setup you created because you didnt specify. So hopefully you wont take my comments the wrong way, as myself and the others are just trying to inform. good luck.

WatchMeFlyBy
01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by OverSpun
i didnt do it to target you, or start any kind of arguement. As you have noticed theres a lot of "testing" of aftermarket parts on the forum that people do and criticize it openly with others, whether it be directly related to a well known tuner, or just a part. for instance "the stock BPV on the audi is worthless and it tears under higher boost" thats just the type of thing people say, as you already know. All i meant, was that its pretty obvious from your pictures that you arent selling an "intake" because the inlet host, MAF, and cone filter (as well as a breather filter for '01s) are the only "intake" elements that are actually being used because they are all put together. However, the heatshield you made does look nice, and you may want to consider selling just that because as far as i can tell, thats the only thing you actually made.

I wasnt tryin to cap you out or anything, dont let this thread take away your thunder, try to make an actual intake setup that you can sell and i'm sure if you test it and results come out good, you'll be selling. Criticizing your thread is a way of making sure people that dont know much about audis or cars for that matter have a good idea about what they are getting into and what actually went into the setup you created because you didnt specify. So hopefully you wont take my comments the wrong way, as myself and the others are just trying to inform. good luck.
Very well said! [:D]

94jedi
01-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, I think we should give him a break. he said this was a prototype. We all busted his ball$ to post a pic and he finally posts a work in progress and everyone bashes him. Let's all relax and reserve our judgements until after he dyno's the thing and says "THIS IS THE FINAL PRODUCT."

Kruat
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I still like the idea, and pending dyno numbers, I'd still rock it. But I did think it was going to be more of a true CAI, with a tube that ran into the front bumper area with a filter on it.

UCan'tHang
01-17-2005, 08:00 PM
yeah, I didn't realize A4 intakes can't really get any cold air. I didn't know the cones gotta point toward the fire wall.
I understand now why the stock intake is so good..

SoleMate
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
You can get evo intakes for the same price on ebay..can you give me reason as to why I'd go with your's instead?

offroader1006
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
cause he is going to give us dyno numbers soon

WatchMeFlyBy
01-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Kruat
I still like the idea, and pending dyno numbers, I'd still rock it. But I did think it was going to be more of a true CAI, with a tube that ran into the front bumper area with a filter on it.
If you look under your airbox, you'll see theres absolutely no room to run anykind of pipe down to the bumper.. theres too much stuff in the way

alen
01-17-2005, 08:32 PM
that's why somebody needs to design a pipe much like the intercooler pipe to the other side of the engine where there's slightly more clearance.

matt@oCarbon
01-17-2005, 09:11 PM
And asusc, your right it does look like tha same heat sheild material as the one on your carbonia that you paid so much for and pretty much got nothing but at the same time a k03 turbo look similar to a k04 when installed and we all know they arent the same.

my carbonio intake stays cold to the touch after driving for an hour, which can not be said for the stock airbox. hardly getting nothing from an intake. i basically paid $100 more to get one with more sustenance and much better looks.

me pointing out that it looks similar to my heatshield was in no way a knock on what you did, however you have to realize that you hyped up this intake a lot. that was probably your first mistake.

had you not made any posts about it and just posted pictures yesterday and said "i think i might sell this, what can i do to improve it?" you would have gotten a much better response than you did.

i wish you good luck in your dyno testing and your future endeavors.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by SoleMate
You can get evo intakes for the same price on ebay..can you give me reason as to why I'd go with your's instead? that was my point in my earlier post... running an evo i see no reason to try something else until i can see numbers that tell me to yank the bitch and put something different in. until then it stays in. i wish you luck though boosted but you have to realize that there are always going to be people to knock your product. i am, its too expensive for what you get. straight up, im not going to pretend like im not knocking it. you posted with the knowledge that people could possibly tear your product up... dont bitch out and take it off the market all together because of a couple people... there are still a couple of people out there who will buy it even wihtout the numbers... if you come back with solid numbers ill be the first one to buy it. until then im going to remain skeptical as with many other people... sorry, but thats the way it goes when it comes to performance mods... you need numbers... without them noone cares

littlewhite
01-18-2005, 12:08 AM
I've seen that type of intake and orientation many times on B5 A4s with some sort of heatshield like that and didnt costs anything close to $220.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:11 AM
thats why i was quick to bash the price but i guess the nasa heatshield is the kicker

littlewhite
01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
thats why i was quick to bash the price but i guess the nasa heatshield is the kicker

NASA !! did i miss that? [eek] gd job though, shield looks decent.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:20 AM
it was in the email... at least i think so... maybe im mixing up my threads, either way, i need a damn dyno!!!

OverSpun
01-18-2005, 12:26 AM
no, it did say NASA.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:29 AM
thanks nick... jsut proves to myself that im not losing my mind. say hello to the newest 4 ring member as well!!!

OverSpun
01-18-2005, 12:31 AM
hello.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:41 AM
ha thanks.... it just crossed my mind to ask this... you say its made of nasa quality material or something of the sort... how do you know that this is true? call me nieve but i would like to think that we would be unaware of the materials they use... with as much money as they spend on exploration and whatnot i would hope that it would at least be classified information....

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Damn this is hype

greengravy
01-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Damn this is hype of course it is... this is a new product that could potentially be a huge hit with our cars provided the numbers are there.... you are posting this on an enthusiasts website... any new product is going to be hyped... you should know that looking at the threads on all the other products out there for our cars!

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 01:00 AM
the production model will have an elbow that turns 90* own towards the wheel well. vented fenders would be great for this

greengravy
01-18-2005, 01:01 AM
and seriously... you act like a dyno is crazy expensive... granted good results the proft you would make from simply selling im going to say 3 intakes would cover your dyno costs.... then the next few you sell would cover materials... the next few would cover labor... so and and so forth... dont give up just yet. with strong numbers, on this site, you will sell a lot. look at nick... he sells mad gauge pods for cheap.... you could potentially sell mad intakes for not so cheap resulting in a huge profit. good luck man. get the numbers and the hype will either die as a result of a poor product or hype will go through the roof because its just that damn good.... if its run of the mill i still might be interested considering its from a fellow AZ member. give me a reason to take my evo out and buy yours and i will. until then im going to be a critic. sorry

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah but few actually come through

greengravy
01-18-2005, 01:03 AM
yea but if youre one of the few it will be worth it... dont give up just yet. for real.. it couls be the next big hit amongst a lot of us on here.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Im not. Just frustrating. Its still coming and i will try and get a dyno. I think I may put together a group buy for the intake for about $180 i I can get 40 peeps to purchase

OverSpun
01-18-2005, 01:23 AM
that is after you put in the 90 degree bend?

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 01:28 AM
yeah the 90 just got done. no hard feelings overspun and i love your pods even though i dont have. nice new car. wow. and you old audi was awd right

Skylinedc505
01-18-2005, 01:36 AM
hey Z, i'm still sticking by you although I have taken the criticism into consideration.

He's spent a lotta time on development, and thats more than I can say I've done for my own car...but I'm sure many of us have the same sentiment.

I also can't wait for the dyno tests...

....man I love AZ.

OverSpun
01-18-2005, 01:40 AM
yeah the 90 just got done. no hard feelings overspun and i love your pods even though i dont have. nice new car. wow. and you old audi was awd right

thanks man, i really want to see how everything turns out with the intake, cause we all know that the majority of the intakes on the market hurt more than they help in terms of performance.

my old audi was quattro as well, yes. [:)]

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 01:43 AM
you must be doing well. if this intake isnt wat some were looking fr i will just start over. i am determind and i am hoping this will put my guys on the map

docurley
01-18-2005, 02:49 AM
Ok some fig's on the BMC/CDA CAI

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/cgi-bin/Images/dyno/Audi%20S4.JPG

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/cgi-bin/Images/dyno/AudiRS4.JPG

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 02:54 AM
ummm ok????

WatchMeFlyBy
01-18-2005, 05:53 AM
can you really compare the S4's engine setup to an A41.8T?

Audimarc
01-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Shows that it only provides a four HP increase.....interesting.

docurley
01-18-2005, 06:47 AM
But 12 hp at the fly and a load more torque.

Audimarc
01-18-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm a big fan of CIAs and I will likely buy the same one you did docurley....I figure 2-3HP and 6-7lb/ft of torque on my machine....

greengravy
01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
although i may possibly be one of the biggest critics so far towards boooosteds intake i will most likely buy one. i give you props for the time put into development. hopefully no hard feelings.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
and nick... i need a gauge pod

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 09:27 AM
yeah im going to finish up work today and take more pics and probably put them on sale tomorrow, maybe

greengravy
01-18-2005, 09:29 AM
sounds good

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 11:29 AM
On my out for some working. Ill get back to all you guys tonight hopefully having the finish poduct. sure there was a lot of ashing going on but its all because we want the same thing, a great product for our cars. Peace

OverSpun
01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
and nick... i need a gauge pod

PM me then dude. [;)] I'll make it today.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 01:55 PM
pm sent

AWDios
01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm going to be someone that waits for dyno numbers too.

You gotta spend money to make money right?

Audimarc
01-18-2005, 02:00 PM
And for a 2.8 version, no love for us guys...

greengravy
01-18-2005, 02:04 PM
sucks to be you guys then haha. its like being the kid in school who sits in the corner... sad sad stuff

docurley
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 1999 Audi A4
And for a 2.8 version, no love for us guys...

Then do it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyway. [;)]

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/CurlD7/Audi/BMC+Kit.JPG
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/CurlD7/Audi/My+SC++BMC.jpg

greengravy
01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
rig your own thing up.... it would be as good if not better than some of the homemade intakes ive already seen on this site

docurley
01-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Making one up is one thing making it work well is another.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 02:28 PM
i never said anything about having one that works well! i just said rig one up haha

docurley
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
lol

greengravy
01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
or maybe if boooosted's works out well he will make one for the 2.8.... doubt it because thats a whole other process and more dyno's and so on and so forth...

DDQ
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Regarding the dyno tests posted above, that is for a closed off filter (which is ideal). The intake for sale on this thread still appears to draw warm engine bay air, so I do not see how it qualifies as a "CAI".

Cool air is the goal on the 1.8T. The stock box does not restrict anything, so there's little to no gains to be created from changing the filter. However, there can be gains created by preventing the engine from drawing in the warm air that is trapped in the engine bay. That is why the stock box is superior to most cone setups.

docurley
01-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Plus you forgot to mention the Ram air effect, which you will not get from an open cone.

Plus CF does not conduct a lot of heat.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 04:42 PM
wel actually the cool air comes from the botom of the car. That test I did do. The intake temps were 5-10* lowers then stock depending on how hard you are driving. the we we acheived that was with the heat sheild, anti heat material and a smal wrap around the back. this heat sheild was able to with stand a torch on one stide and a hand on the other as a metioned before. Don'y get me wrong, I would love to use carbon and do more stuff which is what I had in mind in the beginning but the actual cost would start to run up pretty quickly. I have an inside friend at carbonio and he even said that the only reason there intake is so expensive is because of the material they used. My intake is by no means made at home. It is constructed at a shop with ahand used machine and no i dont mean drills and such. I will get dyns for it when I can. I would love to see the outcome also. remeber when I started working on the intake I told you the price range and i followed through. I said I was going to make an attempt and I am. Dcourley, that intake looks great but what is the cost. Still working on it and it will be available to thsoe who want one. And for the 2.8 guys if this does work out I will be thinking up something for you guys. I will need a car to use though. I know for a fact that the 2.8 one would be great because of the engine structure and placement. I'm not going to give up. I already have an edge over all the other intake out with the exception of the carbonia and from what I here it isnt worth the money. Also for those of you who do want one, it will have a fixed price shipped which will stil be around what it is now. I honestly just want to do he best for you guys being that you always help me out when something is going on with my car. Remember we all drive the same car so why would I have something myself that sucks. Peace.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
i ripped on you earlier but i want one. ill try it and see what i think. put my name on the top of the list

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
lol hahaha thats kinda funny. I guess thats what it comes down to.

DDQ
01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't doubt your work, it sounds like you put a lot of effort into this and I commend you for that.

But where in the car did you measure the intake temps, and what device did you use? What were ambient temps during the tests? There's a lot of variables when trying to get relevant temp data for it to be meaningful.

The same holds true for dyno tests, they're very subjective. You can run the same car on a dyno twice with no changes and get a 5-10hp difference.

If you simply look at the physics of all this, it's trivial. I don't understand why everyone spends so much time debating the intake issue when there's so little power to be created in that part of the car.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 08:24 PM
lol hahaha thats kinda funny. I guess thats what it comes down to. ill give you the benefit of the doubt. you hit me up outside of here for whatever reason but didnt say anything but ill give it a go. if it sucks im giong to be pissed as hell though because im still a critic of it

matt@oCarbon
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
wel actually the cool air comes from the botom of the car.

i fail to see how your intake obtains this cool air from the bottom of the car without hosing or ducts direct said cool air into the filter.

Originally posted by DDQ
Regarding the dyno tests posted above, that is for a closed off filter (which is ideal). The intake for sale on this thread still appears to draw warm engine bay air, so I do not see how it qualifies as a "CAI".

Cool air is the goal on the 1.8T. The stock box does not restrict anything, so there's little to no gains to be created from changing the filter. However, there can be gains created by preventing the engine from drawing in the warm air that is trapped in the engine bay. That is why the stock box is superior to most cone setups.

ddq, once again you hit the nail on the head when it comes to intakes. i gotta admit, you know your shit. i tip my hat to you.

needforspd
01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
I was wondering how long it would take DDQ to chime in.

Its cuz of his reasoning and past proof about these intakes that I havent bought a "cai' intake.
Most people get these just for the sound similar to a BOV but what a waste of $220+ just for a sound IMHO, plus you still need to have a metal DV (IIRC). You can get a hybrid BOV/DV at half the cost and get the same sound. If these intakes were to produce some significant gains then n only then might they be worth it.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 10:26 PM
so you are now saying that i can buy a CEL for my car for half the price?!? ill pass on that

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 11:30 PM
bottom pan is out and intake temp were take with a cordless thermometer before and after botwith intake on and off. if your bottom pan is off there is actually alot of air that can be obtain from there but its just an option. Also the original plastic air duct is still in place just not in the pic so you can see it. Also I went ahead and vented my wheel liner right by the intake, that also has a protective sheild that I woudn't mind throwing intok the kit. I'll take more pics to show you guys. Also a 180* elbow is now being incorporated into the intake to remap where air is coming from. Still I do beleive it will come along nicely and I have been working on it everyday to perfect everything for you guys.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Also I have a question, What are you guys wanting the intake to poduce power wise? Just wondering.

greengravy
01-18-2005, 11:45 PM
8-10 hp realistically.... if more then sweet shit... if less bag it. for that kind of money people are going to want results and anything less than 8-10 people wont want it... just my take on it.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-18-2005, 11:56 PM
What do the other intake claim to produce? Actual?

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 12:00 AM
And by the way this almost hold the record for most veiws and post for a normal thread

Skylinedc505
01-19-2005, 12:01 AM
3-5 hp to the wheels...but looking for more of an increased throttle response and more top end power! That would be killer! Keep the hope Z!

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 01:07 AM
I am. Seems we have a wide veriety of what people are looking for. regaurdless I am going to go for the most I can.

OverSpun
01-19-2005, 01:19 AM
And by the way this almost hold the record for most veiws and post for a normal thread

ha, you think thats a lot... check out the views on my boost gauge pod thread.... 4663 views. [cool] [;)]

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 01:26 AM
dont worry not competition

OverSpun
01-19-2005, 01:34 AM
haha, i know.. just messin dude.

littlewhite
01-19-2005, 01:45 AM
As the battle continues !

I think the only real CAI for now is the Carbonio and the CDA and also ppl with an intake set up with modify duct that leads cold air directly to the filter area.

I used to have an Evo intake with some modification on the OEM covers and duct and addition heatshielding and it works pretty good.

WHen will this end !! ? Is like the BOV Qs, it keeps popping up ![:p]

Gd luck with your final product, is good to see ppl try to make sth that might actually work for our car

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I wonder If I can find a 180* bent carbon pipe. any ideas where?

derek2079
01-19-2005, 01:46 AM
GUYS FVCKING SETTLE DOWN JESUS CHRIST

littlewhite
01-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I wonder If I can find a 180* bent carbon pipe. any ideas where?

Is very tight down there but i think if ppl drilled their wheel wall liner or upgraded to S4 ones and the filter sits low enough it might be ok"

littlewhite
01-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Since i mention about Evo intake that i used to have, here is a pix with the oem duct

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/34CAI_1.JPG

Yea, is ghetto lol ~ So i used the oem duct and cut a hole so air comes in right to the filter. I dont have the intake anymore but i still got 2 Apexi filter if anyone is interested. VEry good filters.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 02:19 AM
OMG D we are chill everyone is really just trying to help out. its going to be good though I'm determine like AIDS

derek2079
01-19-2005, 02:23 AM
^^^^^^

lol i know im kidding bro

derek2079
01-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by OverSpun
ha, you think thats a lot... check out the views on my boost gauge pod thread.... 4663 views. [cool] [;)]

can i get your address? i want to send you a cookie

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 02:48 AM
lmao hahahahheehehhahahahehah

OverSpun
01-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by derek2079
can i get your address? i want to send you a cookie

only if its chocolate chip.

mmart6545
01-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Sorry for interjecting late in the ball game, but I have a few comments and questions about your design ideas.

I understand that this is a beta version and is rough around the edges and all of the other standard disclaimers.

I have done significant amount of testing using (professional grade) measuring devices. I tested the evo intake, modified evo intake, home made intake, stock air box with oem filter, stock air box with k&n, and a few other variations (I think I posted the entire writeup over on AW or maybe just the conclusion). The bottom line is there isnt much better then the stock air box when using small<er> turbos (k03, k04, apr s3, etc). Air intake temperatures are the LOWEST with the stock air box (and even lower with additional heat shielding around it). There is no change in the amount of measured mass air drawn in with an open element filter. These two variables are what will make more power.

The only appropriate time to have an open element filter in our engine bays is when a big turbo is in order. Only then the reason for eliminating the air box is due to the fact the piping is different and it would be too much of a pita to fabricate everything to mate with the box.

This does strike me as a home made job. I accomplished something very similar for more then half the price using home depot parts. The fit and finish should come later.

NOW...it is quite clear that I believe the OEM air box is the best solution, however I understand that people like to modify and make new products. With that in mind, you should probably go about your design completely differently.

1 - Carbino was on the right track, but they had too many fitment issues. The best intake will be the filter that is completely enclosed and can produce the lowest IATs. You need to design a complete air box. I'd probabably buy a carbon fiber design with some of your space age material on all the sides.

2. You need to do your testing with the lower belly pan installed. It is there for a purpose including better gas milage and better high speed stability. Also when crusing the engine bay will stay cooler since the vents in the pan direct air flow up instead of just over with it removed.

3. On the same token, you dont want to put the filter by the fender well with vented liners. I live in florida and have huge rain storms. Water + intake = bad. (see idea 1).

4. from the looks of your pictures, you dont have the horn that comes infront of the maf. this is an important air straightener that needs to be in place. I suggest inventing a product which uses this straightener inside an enclosed box.

5. You also dont want to look to dip the filter into the fender well or down in front. The audi engineers designed the intake system very brilliantly. If you look at the air flow around the car at high speed, the palce where the OEM slot (is that what we call it?) is at the point in the car directly in the path of where the air gets pushed up and over the car. Think...at 100 mph, air is getting pounded into the stock intake. At 100 mph, yours is suckin in hot air.

So in conclusion....design a very oem like airbox with additional heat shielding and you'll be good to go. If I were really interested in revolutionizing the air intakes for our vehicles, I'd work rigging something that increases the size of the stock air hole behind the grills. Remake the neck and situate an airbox in that location. Dont forget anout the ignition amplifier (if applicable). Id also fab a secondary air intake hole into the box and include a cap if the car doesnt have it instead of using a small breather filter.

Your design as it stands will perform worse then the OEM box. Anyone can manipulate dyno runs.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Still not giving up man sorry. that just make me want to try harder.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-19-2005, 03:40 PM
and about the horn i posted more then 3 times that it is still in place just not in place for the veiwing purposes. Maybe you have notice a difference with the belly pan out but in thread yesterday no one noticed a diff either. now there is a 180* elbo with the air duct blowing right on the filter. aso my fender is now vented which is an option you may want to consider. looks pretty clean too. the actualy piping has heat sheilding on it also. Dont get me wrong the stock airbox is good but every little bit helps.

DDQ
01-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by mmart6545
The only appropriate time to have an open element filter in our engine bays is when a big turbo is in order. Only then the reason for eliminating the air box is due to the fact the piping is different and it would be too much of a pita to fabricate everything to mate with the box.

Nice research, thanks for posting that, glad to see someone else in my camp. I'll never understand why people want to continue the debate, given that many others (besides you and me) have tested this and confirmed the stock box is superior on the 1.8T.

That also goes back to why I asked "where did you measure the intake temps", since more often than not the test results are skewed due to many variables. It's not as easy as sticking a thermometer under the hood.

mmart6545
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by DDQ
Nice research, thanks for posting that, glad to see someone else in my camp. I'll never understand why people want to continue the debate, given that many others (besides you and me) have tested this and confirmed the stock box is superior on the 1.8T.

That also goes back to why I asked "where did you measure the intake temps", since more often than not the test results are skewed due to many variables. It's not as easy as sticking a thermometer under the hood.

I believe someone needs to make an intake that meets my requirements, and it might perform slightly better. The key is the hole in the front clip, enclosed box, and heat shielding.

mmart6545
01-19-2005, 05:48 PM
and about the horn i posted more then 3 times that it is still in place just not in place for the veiwing purposes. Maybe you have notice a difference with the belly pan out but in thread yesterday no one noticed a diff either. now there is a 180* elbo with the air duct blowing right on the filter. aso my fender is now vented which is an option you may want to consider. looks pretty clean too. the actualy piping has heat sheilding on it also. Dont get me wrong the stock airbox is good but every little bit helps.

If you were tuely interested in making a quality product as your sig states, you should use my ideas. I promise a profit because everyone will purchase it. You are trying to sell the home depot special. There are already too many of these on the market.

The problem is that this will need specialized machinery to produce...but if it existed, I'd buy it.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-20-2005, 10:10 AM
ok

ModifiedA4
01-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by mmart6545
I believe someone needs to make an intake that meets my requirements, and it might perform slightly better. The key is the hole in the front clip, enclosed box, and heat shielding.

I'm with you on that. I have thought of about 4 or 5 things you can do to the stock airbox to reduce restriction without sacrificing the great heat insulating properties of the stock airbox. i'm planning on experimenting and taking data this summer I hope. i guess the ideas could be considered one part darintake, one part europeanspeed (http://www.europeanspeed.com/stage2.htm), one part my own making. again...all for the stock airbox.

Brooksthepro
05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
ygm

Audimarc
05-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Boosted, what's the status of this project?