PDA

View Full Version : I f###ed up my car need help

A4Andrew
01-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Just finish doing TB and K04 install. Followed the direction and try starting the car w/o the ecu so it would not actually start, just to pump oil to prime the turbo. When I try to start the car with the ecu in, it wouldn't start for the first few times then it finally started but it was shaking violantly and was about to dead of so I turned it off. Hope I didn't brake anything inside. First thing that came across my mind was that I messed up the timing, but I lined up the mark on the cam and also marked the lower wheel and made sure they were lined up when I was done. I also turn it a round to make sure they still line up. I did turned the wheel in the middle when I removed it to get to the water pump, but I didn't think that was important because the TB direction I got off AW did not say I have to line it up too. Followed every step direction and did not came across any problems. The only thing I can think of was when I put the new belt on it was kind of tight on the right side connect the three wheels not the tensioner side, but it went in. Maybe because it was just a new belt. I double checked everything to make sure I did it right.

Here some other installs I did but do think has anything to do with it:
1. K04 Turbo
2. 5bar FR
3. swap a 99 1.8tqm with my 98.5 1.8tqm

I try to vag it but my computer couldn't detect the car even though the car was on the on position. This happed to me before. I have to turn on the car then turn it off again for them to connect.

At this point I am really scared that I broke something inside. I think the best thing to do now is to bring it in to the stealership but the wait is always like 2 weeks in union city, NJ.

Just want to see what input do you guys have.

Sorry guys I can't stay online I will be back tomorrow.

A4_Andre
01-15-2005, 06:05 AM
well, from what i've heard the first start is rough. unfortuantely that's all i heard.

Starting
01-15-2005, 06:12 AM
did you do a tba?

Daft
01-15-2005, 06:36 AM
A4Andrew,

First rule of working on cars, always add one part at a time.

Nevertheless, you might have a timing issue here. Are you sure that all the timing marks were perfectly dead on before you pulled the pin on the auto tensioner? Otherwise, you may have the cams out of sync with the pistons. You should always rotate the engine by hand several times after pulling the pin to check that the timing is still good before you button it all back up.

I would rotate the engine to TDC and see if the valves are shut with a boroscope or a pressure tester.

A4Andrew
01-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I am sure the cam amrk and the lower wheel mark are line up but the middle wheel I am not sure because I ahve to take that ou to get to the water pump. And I rotated once after I am done to make sure too.
I did not do a tba the first time when I try to start the car w/o the ecu. Come to think of it I don't think I did a tba the first time after the ecu was in. I didn't realize because I was so excited and pissed that it wouldn't start. Could that be the cause if it? Is there a way to fix it if it is?
The car wouldn't start the first few times so I pull the ecu and disconnected the battery again and did tba then it started but very rough.

Daft, I will take the look at the marks at the cam again but I don't think I can check to see if the valves are shut because I don't have or know what a boroscope or a pressure tester.

DDQ
01-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Sounds like a timing issue. You wouldn't get those violent symptoms just from needing a TBA.

I'm not sure if a dealer will work on your car with those mods.

A4Andrew
01-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I bearly have any mods. turbo is just a k04 almost exaclty as the k03, ecu is the same, 5 bar fpr insted of 4 bar.
And why wouldn't they work on my car?

AB18
01-15-2005, 09:11 AM
yeah, it would have to be the timing, ko4 and the fpr wouldnt do that.

Burntaudi
01-15-2005, 09:48 AM
So are you trying to run a K04 W/5 bar FPR and a stock ECU? If so you you need to put the stock FPR back in there until you get the proper software. Your just gonna make the car burn rich without K04 software and a 5 bar FPR.

A4Andrew
01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I am not worry about running rich a little bit. I ran the 5bar fpr with my neuspeed chip before and my wastegate actuator diaphram broke so no turbo for a while and still didn't get any CEL for running rich. Plus I am going to drive down to AWE in PA when my car is running again.

Now back to the main problem, I took apart everything to check it again. Cam mark and the mark I made at the cran still aligned, Rotated the cran and still good. When I put the cran cover back I notice a mark on it and the damper wheel on the cran had a mark to it too but they missed by one tooth. I think I found the problem. When I put the tb on it was very tight like it missed by half a tooth I must of pusted it in there and moved it. Just to make sure, I don't have to line the intermeder gear in the middle up with anything right?
So now after the break I will pull it apart again and line up the cran mark. Hope this will work.

A4Andrew
01-15-2005, 08:22 PM
I think they gave me the wrong belt. The lower cran would not line up. Before it was a little to the left now if I move it a tooth to the right then the mark is a little off to the right. That means the space between the teeth is not the same. I put the new belt against the old one tooth to tooth. At first they lined up ok then after about 15 teeth the new one start to pull and not line up any more. The spaces on the new belt is smaller. Other than that ists also longer but I don't think it matters if the tooth is the same size, the tensioner will compensate for that.

I got the tb kit from pap-parts.com and I checked the part # on the box and the invoice and on the web site they all matched. I don't get it. The tb is made by Dayco part # is 058 198 479.

Has anyone ordered from them or done their own tb?