PDA

View Full Version : B7 6MT: Shifts into 1,3,5 not smooth; 2,4,6 okay

CoDRoX
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi guys,
Hope some of you can offer some advice on this.

More than 90% of the time, my shifts into 1st and 3rd are not smooth. The best way to describe it is as if something inside is getting in the way. Again, I only find it difficult getting into 1st from any gear and from getting from 2nd into 3rd. Downshift from 4 to 3 is smooth. 4th to 5th not so smooth, but I can definitely feel something, though nowhere as pronounced as 1 and 3. Getting into even gears 2,4,6 is always very smooth.
The other thing I have noticed is that all shifts are smooth with the engine off but not when the car is idling or in motion.
(Yes, I tried searching and also saw this thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309987), but I haven't observed this issue at high rpms or in reverse, so thought it was best to open a separate thread)

I have brought the car in twice already...first time, all they gave me was BS about it performing within manufacturer spec. and actually told me it was the floor mats getting stuck under the clutch (I have the cheap 24$ ones from Walmart for now. Will get oem ones soon). Yeah right @#$%&*!
I pointed out that in that case I should have the same issue getting into any gear not just 1 and 3 and their reply was..you guessed it right - no answer, more BS.

Second time, I took the tech for a road test with me and he acknowledged something was not right, opened the ashtray and what not and apparently lubricated the ball etc. NO F**KING CHANGE in the feel, although you should have listened to the service guy praise the work done and assure me that the problem was gone, dead and buried.

Sorry for the long post but this is currently Issue #1 for me. Annoys the crap out of me every time I am putting the car in 1st or 3rd. My warranty is expiring in June '10 so I really want to get it fixed asap. Car is stock, btw.

</rant>

v_audi
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Very timely thread for me. I was just about to take in my B7 6MT for almost the exact same problem. None of the gears feel really smooth but 1st and 2nd are by far the worst. Sometimes it is very difficult to get it into 1st and I've had to double clutch it a couple of times. Don't know if it is the shift collar, synchros, what? And my car only has about 7,000 miles on it.

I'll be taking it to the dealer this week, so I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can provide some help to us both. Would like to be able to talk intelligently about the problem so I don't get BS. Thanks.

CoDRoX
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Does yours also shift smooth with the engine not running?

Farmernate
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Please let me know as well, ive been having this issue, its actually worse when its cold, going from 1st to 2nd it feels like theres something keeping it from going into gear, and ill have to wait till rpms drop enoug (around 1K) to slide it into 2nd and go from there. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th feel notchy too, but go in with little issue, unlike 1st to 2nd

it also doesnt like going into 1st from neutral at a stop, ill have to go into 2nd or 3rd then back into 1st to get it in.

things get a little better after i drive the car for a bit, letting the engine and trans come up to temp, but the problem is only lessened, its still noticable.

OIJFIOEWFJCOF

i have an 07 with 17K miles, and ive had my mechanic bleed my clutch already, didnt help at all

v_audi
12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Does yours also shift smooth with the engine not running?

Yes, it is just fine with the engine off. Such a hassle to get to the dealer for this kind of stuff. I already know what they are going to say, "it's within spec." Then I'm going to have to be an a-hole until they do something. Such a PITA. Maybe it won't be that bad.

Anyway, it sounds like there are several people with this issue. Like I said, for me it is the worst between 1st and 2nd and especially trying to get back into 1st. I've driven manuals for over 20 years, both cars and trucks, and I know this isn't right. Hopefully I/we can get some information and get this fixed.

CoDRoX
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
it also doesnt like going into 1st from neutral at a stop, ill have to go into 2nd or 3rd then back into 1st to get it in.

things get a little better after i drive the car for a bit, letting the engine and trans come up to temp, but the problem is only lessened, its still noticable.

Exact same case with mine. It's annoying getting into third or second every time you come to a stop.
I have noticed that it shifts better for the first couple of minutes in the morning when the car is dead cold (don't know why) and again gets better when the car is all warmed up after I have been driving at highway speeds for a while. Its in the intermediate state when the card is just starting to warm up and I am driving at local road speeds when it is the worst.

Unfortunately >90% of the time I am driving in the intermediate state because my commute is quite short <5 mi on local roads, and I reach my workplace just as the car starts to warm up [headbang]

CoDRoX
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I already know what they are going to say, "it's within spec." Then I'm going to have to be an a-hole until they do something. Such a PITA.

Good luck with demonstrating it to the tech. Hope you don't have to show your man-loving side [:D] ..holding the tech's hand and shifting together, because he has to feel it when it happens, and it usually doesn't reoccur immediately after occurring once, so you can't just say to him 'hey, this shift was rough, try shifting right now' because it's gonna be smooth the next time [headbang]
Thankfully in my case it happens often enough that I didn't have to shift with the tech, no man-love needed [>_<]

rxer311
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
same here

B5AudiVW
01-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Any updates on this guys? I've got the exact same symptoms. Most notable is the difficulty getting into 1st from Neutral. If I take the car out of gear at a stop light it can be very difficult to get into 1st when the light changes. I'm going to be putting in a JHM SSK in the next few days and I'll see if that has any impact (better or worse).

CoDRoX
01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
^^ My car is in today (talk of co-incidence) for the gear shift issue and also because I am feeling a loss of power (no CEL) while accelerating. I should have an update later in the day..

CoDRoX
01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
So the car is back with me and no effin' change in the shifter. "Could not recreate complaint" it seems.
Also got quoted 3k for a clutch job.
199 for the BG induction service.

[headbang][headbang][headbang]

ColumbusAudiA4
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
^^ My car is in today (talk of co-incidence) for the gear shift issue and also because I am feeling a loss of power (no CEL) while accelerating. I should have an update later in the day..

Anyone know any updates to this. Having same issue with my car with 1st and 2nd gear.

CoDRoX
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
No updates for my car. Still has the same issue, but I've just learnt to live with it now. [=(]

TozoM8
05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I had the same problem then I changed the gear lube for thinner weight and all is good now.

jdelbigs
01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Any other updates? I recently noticed this problem. Changed the gear oil to motul 300. Was better for a little bit. Noticed the shifter was sloppy and upgraded to JHM SS and sure enough the problem remains. Going in and out of the same gear is fine, but going into first from any other gear is like pushing on a brick wall sometimes (even with the engine off). Also most shifts to 2nd are delayed because of that stiff notch.

Update:
Found other posts pointing to the clutch switch as the culprit. Will try on Monday.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/362360-clutch-switch-location-and-how-to....?p=7168720#post7168720

Update to the update:
The clutch switch did not help.

diagnosticator
02-22-2012, 05:23 AM
I had the same problem then I changed the gear lube for thinner weight and all is good now.

This will be the fix for most of the cars with MT rough shifts. What gear oil did you use? Red Line MTL does the trick for me and others who have had this complaint.

TozoM8
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Sounds crazy, but I use 10 W 40 motor oil for two years + now.

Scotty@Advanced
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Any other updates? I recently noticed this problem. Changed the gear oil to motul 300. Was better for a little bit. Noticed the shifter was sloppy and upgraded to JHM SS and sure enough the problem remains. Going in and out of the same gear is fine, but going into first from any other gear is like pushing on a brick wall sometimes (even with the engine off). Also most shifts to 2nd are delayed because of that stiff notch.

Update:
Found other posts pointing to the clutch switch as the culprit. Will try on Monday.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/362360-clutch-switch-location-and-how-to....?p=7168720#post7168720

Update to the update:
The clutch switch did not help.

First gear is always a bitch to shift into, i generally don't recommend shifting into first unless the car is not moving. It does sound like you could have an internal shifter issues, not necessarily a syncro problem but a problem with a detent or the internal shifting parts.

Generally issues with shifting all gears is clutch related, and shifting into individual gear or the gear on the same shift collar (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) indicate syncro issues. Other odd behavior would indicate something common to all gears such as a shift linkage, or detent or internal problem.

Nizl
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
^ Look into Synchros

Synchros in a manual transmission are used to slow down the gear before it is engaged so it doesnt grind

SleeperAvant
12-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Any of the users who posted complaints have any issues engaging reverse? Also what clutches are you all running?

PAA4
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I have a similar issue. Going in to first when cold is tough, have to force it. Reverse is the same way. Once warmed up though, revers is fine and first is much better.

I am thinking it might be a fluid thing since it gets better when warm.

Anyoen ever come up with a for sure cure for this?