PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A4 Quattro shakes at idle

woaudi
12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Replaced my front mount intercooler with the factory. Since then the whole car shakes at idle. The crosspipe from intercooler to turbo was somewhat hard to bolt in, but everything else installed fine. I have had a shop test/ run the computer diagnostic on it, and got rid of all codes/ known problems. Anybody have an idea what would cause the shake? It gets worse when in drive(at idle), and even worse when the ac is on. Goes away upon acceleration though....

Thanks

schaefer921
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM
replace coils or system running too lean ( boost leak) and the computer hasn't adjusted for it

a4_1.8t_01
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Check the snub mount. If that that cross pipe went in hard then that's your problem. If that snub mount is hitting the bracket then it will create a vibration.

woaudi
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you for your responses. The snub mount was a problem, but has been replaced. As have the mass air flow sensor, and a couple of vacuum check valves and the throttle body cleaned.

How can I get the computer to adjust? As far as I/we can tell, there is no boost leak anymore, and the computer throws no codes...

dangerous_dave
12-12-2009, 04:12 AM
You said you replaced the snub mount but did you adjust the bracket it goes into? Also, did you replace it with a stiffer one?

Liv4Psi
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
when did you replace your sprk plugs last? how much is it "shaking"?

woaudi
12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I believe it is a stiffer snub mount. It came from Audi. Also, didn't install it, so I'm not sure if it is hitting the bracket. I will check.

I will be replacing the spark plugs this weekend. I know it needs new ones.

It shakes enough to rattle my keys and shake the steering wheel, and definitely feels like it could be detrimental after a short period of time. The Whole car shakes...

Thanks again...

discontained
12-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I had the same problem, I changed my snub mount with APR blue snub, and it was still there, I had to adjust the position of the bracket on the front of the engine to get the vibration to subside.

Also check your motor mounts/tranny mounts..

woaudi
12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Ok. So that sounds like it will be it. The vibration didn't start until we replaced the intercooler and piping. How do I adjust the bracket on the front of the engine?

Thanks