PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems with my B5

kevinaudiphile
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 A4 1.8T with an AEB engine.

As I am based overseas at the moment, I haven't been able to use my car for quite some time, though I have a friend run the car every 2 weeks at least just to keep it running.

Unfortunately, this hasn't kept the battery charged enough, and I've had to replace the battery twice already (fortunately under warranty). However, it looks like the loss of power already took its toll. To date, I experience the following problems:

1) My speedo isn't working (just the speedo).
2) The central locking system no longer works. The remote locks the driver's door only, as does the driver's door interior locking switch. All other doors must be locked manually.
3) The airconditioner and blower have suddenly cut out.

I had a friend come over and scan the car, and these are the error codes he got:

- 18010 P1602: power supply (B+) terminal 30 Low voltage
- 01262: boost pressure control solenoid-N75
- 00561: Mixture adaptation
- 16885: P0501: vehicle speed sensor a: range performance
- 16514 P0130: O2 sensor sporadic circuit bank sensor 1 malfunction
- 17972 P1564: Throttle valve control (part no. J338: Insufficient voltage during basic setting)
- 00792: Air conditioner pressure switch circuit to earth -F129
- 00532: Supply voltage signal too small
- 01273: fresh Air blower -V2 Sporadic error code: regulating difference

What fix would you guys recommend? I was hoping to order the parts as soon as possible from where I work (where its cheaper) and to bring home the parts with me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Kevin

A4DRIVR
12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I'd have him clear the codes... as it appears most of them have to do with the battery failing. Also, you need to have your friend drive it for a day to see if it generates any additional codes.

Without ever having to jump start my Audi, I'm not sure how suseptable those systems mentioned are to electrical overload. I'd start with the basics... first check that all your fuse are in good condition. Then move on to confirm all of the harness connections for the afflicted sensors and such are fuly seated, then I'd move on to checking the condition of your gound conections (This will require disassembling some of the wiring on the battery and various places around the engine compartment and wire brushing their contact areas.)

Obviously the trouble shooting part of this is going to be a challenge seeing you're on the opposite side of the earth. Hope you have a good friend that's willing to do some work for you!!!

kevinaudiphile
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd have him clear the codes... as it appears most of them have to do with the battery failing. Also, you need to have your friend drive it for a day to see if it generates any additional codes.

Without ever having to jump start my Audi, I'm not sure how suseptable those systems mentioned are to electrical overload. I'd start with the basics... first check that all your fuse are in good condition. Then move on to confirm all of the harness connections for the afflicted sensors and such are fuly seated, then I'd move on to checking the condition of your gound conections (This will require disassembling some of the wiring on the battery and various places around the engine compartment and wire brushing their contact areas.)

Obviously the trouble shooting part of this is going to be a challenge seeing you're on the opposite side of the earth. Hope you have a good friend that's willing to do some work for you!!!
Hey man,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have my friend clear the codes and check the fuses for me, though I think any additional work will have to wait for my arrival. I don't wanna suck up too much of his time!

I wonder how the speedo of all things got affected by the voltage drop though.

With the aircon, we had the fuse replaced once already (not sure which one, the info was relayed to me), and the blower and aircon started working again, only for the problem to repeat. I suspect an electrical grounding problem too.