PDA

View Full Version : no brake lights

goonies
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
no brake lights and the fuse is still good. replaced the pedal brake switch and they still don't work.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

collins
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
check the rear sidemarker fuse, happened to me and thats what it was

goonies
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
check the rear sidemarker fuse, happened to me and thats what it was

unfortunately both the right and left rear side marker fuses are still good.[confused]

goonies
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
the brake bulbs come on when the alarm is set so i know they work. what am i missing?

2001A4QUATTRO
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Check for power at the brake pedal switch. Try to find a diagram. The alarm sends the pulse through different wires. Good luck

walky_talky20
12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
The central locking system does not flash the brake lights, it flashes the turn signals. So that doesn't really help your diagnosis other than than you know that the brake light is *probably* getting a good ground.

There is an Auto Check module that sits between the brake light switch and brake lights. It is there to figure out when a bulb burns out and tell you about it via the cluster. If you can't find the problem you may need to chase down that module.

PM me if you need a diagram.

goonies
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Check for power at the brake pedal switch. Try to find a diagram. The alarm sends the pulse through different wires. Good luck

i have a diagram.the bently is worthless. check for power on what pin? 2 and 4 go the the ecm. pin 3 goes to instrument panel wiring. and 1 goes to well number 9. a book thicker than the bible and it doesn't tell you what pins to check continuity for a faulty switch? my third brake light works and i have a brand new switch. old switch still lit the third brake light up. no where in the bently does it say how much voltage any of these wires should get under any circumstances. what am i missing?

orttauq
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Well you said NO brake lights, and now you say that the 3rd brake light works. That's two completely different situations.

Bulb holders could be bad. Connectors to the bulb holders could have corrosion. Clean everything up (connectors, bulb panels) with electrical contact cleaner and put new bulbs in.

a4_1.8t_01
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
You have a wiring issue. Check your grounds with a wiring diagram.