PDA

View Full Version : Skidplate

jefferson88
01-12-2005, 06:40 AM
how essential is the skidplate... Mine was torn off during a snowfall here. I noticed some vac lines or something right near the front passenger side but other than that I might be able to get away with it for a while. Any opinions.

drlandry00
01-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Alot of guys here dont have the skid plate on, it doesnt do much but keep your engine clean and sound. but i havent noticed much difference without it on the highway. you can do with or without it..

jefferson88
01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
my last name is Landry too.... we may be related

greengravy
01-12-2005, 07:04 AM
whats the difference between that and the belly pan that i noticed people takling about last week

EVIL-AUDI
01-12-2005, 09:04 AM
No difference. Some choose to switch to the dieselgeek version. Stronger material.

marked001
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
..hoefully in the next couple weeks..i'm gonna have a ghetto carbon kevlar one [;)]

Live2Ski
01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
My car never came with one.

Wholsea
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Those "vac" lines are either oil lines or A/C lines (I think they are A/C)

The skidplate helps protect that stuff from normal scrapes and bumps, so your hoses don't get caught on twigs you drive over and whatnot.

Also extra insurance for your aluminum oilpan from road debris (Like big chunks of ice falling from the wheel wells of other cars) etc...

marked001
01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
cracked oil pan = $600 repair [:(]

jefferson88
01-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Thats specifically what I was thinking about.... Although whatever I did to bust if off shattered it into a few pieces in that general area. The thing was destroyed, only the front two screws were holding to the car.

marked001
01-12-2005, 10:12 AM
http://dieselgeek.com/passatb5.php

that's really the only thing available... the stock belly pan is flimsy pastic..doesnt do anything to protect the pan..

SAC_Audi
01-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by drlandry00
Alot of guys here dont have the skid plate on, it doesnt do much but keep your engine clean and sound. but i havent noticed much difference without it on the highway. you can do with or without it..

I'll disagree strongly here...That is an essential part of protecting your engine components, as well as helps direct airflow under the car. I'd highly recommend that you keep it on, specially if you drive in snow country where snow, ice, salt, rocks, etc can get kicked up into the engine bay and make you a very unhappy rider of public transit while your car is repaired.

STKSKI
01-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I have mine off, not by choice though. Mine got ripped off in the snow too and the two back brackets fell off over a period of a month driving without it so it would be hard to put it back on. The thing is, your inner plastic fender wells are connected to the belly panel. It keeps them pulled towards the engine. Without the belly pan, they can be pushed in towards the tires. Whenever it rains really hard and i go through a big puddle the water pressure forces the fender wells towards my 18's and they rub the hell out of the fender wells. My drivers side one is almost gone, i can see the intercooler through the fender well, and the passenger side is on its way. I am working on getting the belly panel back on because this is starting to drive me nuts.

My 2cents...keep it on, it only does good

SAC_Audi
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Good testimony STKSKI,

You show why it's important and how much it can cost not to have one...Guess it's time to head to the wrecking yard and get new, before you also end up buying a new intercooler, turbo, engine, car...ETC!

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by STKSKI
I have mine off, not by choice though. Mine got ripped off in the snow too and the two back brackets fell off over a period of a month driving without it so it would be hard to put it back on. The thing is, your inner plastic fender wells are connected to the belly panel. It keeps them pulled towards the engine. Without the belly pan, they can be pushed in towards the tires. Whenever it rains really hard and i go through a big puddle the water pressure forces the fender wells towards my 18's and they rub the hell out of the fender wells. My drivers side one is almost gone, i can see the intercooler through the fender well, and the passenger side is on its way. I am working on getting the belly panel back on because this is starting to drive me nuts.

My 2cents...keep it on, it only does good

You can just wire tie the wheel wells to the body at the very bottom, this will keep them from moving toward the tires. I haven't had my underbelly pan on for nearly 3 years and don't seem to have any problems. If you guys are really worried about something hitting the parts under there you should learn to NOT drive over things especially if you are driving a lowered car.

The belly pan is only there to increase the amount of air being pulled out from the engine bay, it is not there to protect any parts since it is just thin plastic.

SAC_Audi
01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Ad from Dieselgeek. Even though they advertise a heavy duty version, the function is the same...

"...Skid plate kits protect all of the parts in the bottom of the engine bay, including the cast aluminum oil pan, a/c compressor, radiator, condenser, transmission, and rear subframe. These items, and especially the very thin cast aluminum oil pan, can be easily damaged by road debris, ice chunks, and minor off-road excursions. Many A4 chassis engines have been destroyed by debris putting a hole or a crack in the aluminum oil pan and the subsequent loss of oil pressure."
Even "thin plastic" will divert debris...

marked001
01-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I dont get it? you're saying the dieselgeek skid plate is gonna offer the same protection as the stock bellly pan?

fanuvbrak
01-12-2005, 01:42 PM
i think he's saying that it will provide most of the protection. if you think about it, debris while you're traveling (ice chunks, gravel, etc) would glance of any kind of barrier between the road and the oil pan. i imagine if you hit a bfr in the road, the dieselgeek version will protect you a little better.

and if you manage to get hung up on something like a tree trunk, niether one will help much.

Live2Ski
01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak

and if you manage to get hung up on something like a tree trunk, niether one will help much.

If you find yourself and your car on top of a tree trunk I would highly recommend glasses.

SAC_Audi
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Perfect interpretation fanuvbrak, and for those of you who might be inclined to drive on tree trunks, I'd recommend that you Don't!!!

IndieRockSteve
01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
I noticed a big difference in noise. But that all depends on you. It's also part of the aerodynamics of the car (engine bay air flow), and helps protect from random things flying up into the engine bay.
it was cheap enough I just bought another one from ECS.

TheEZest
01-12-2005, 07:22 PM
how much is it from ECS?

Transverse
01-13-2005, 12:48 AM
LOL...lazy ass!

$149.95 (http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&engine=1.8T&model=B5%20A4&submodel=Quattro&searchqt=new)

-T

ModifiedA4
01-13-2005, 06:28 AM
the diesel geek version is an OEM version called the "heavy duty sound dampener" in ETKA.

I have it. Its my fist winter with it...so far so good. Its about twice as thick as the stock one, same material though...fiber reenforced plastic.

I highly recommend running a belly pan. it protects the engine bay from errant rocks and sticks...etc.

For those that have had the stock one get destroyed...think of it this way:

It sacrificed itself for your car. if you didnt have one on there at the time of impact, perhaps the oil sensor on the oil pan would've ripped off...or something could've kicked up into a belt...its been known to happen.

So replace the damaged belly pan, and drive with peace of mind.

Do it.

Norcal442
01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
does anyone know of any smaller ones? I keep scraping the hell out of mine and think its eventually going to come loose, and I can't adjust my bilsteins without taking it into the shop. I like to drive hard but can't if this thing keeps smacking the ground.

quattrocat
01-18-2005, 10:32 PM
cracked oil pan = $600 repair
If any of you do crack your oil pan I would recommend replacing it yourself. Mine cracked and it cost me maybe $100, it is really easy to replace.

marked001
01-19-2005, 06:58 AM
seriously?? everything I read was that it was a huge pita..up there in difficulty with the clutch..... b/c the subframe has to be dropped and all that... not to mention that the oil pan itself is like a $250 part..

well..either way..I had a busted hand it was cold..so I had to have it done [;)]

quattrocat
01-19-2005, 12:39 PM
seriously?? everything I read was that it was a huge pita..up there in difficulty with the clutch..... b/c the subframe has to be dropped and all that... not to mention that the oil pan itself is like a $250 part..
eh, sorry I should have clarified, mine is a 2.8 I still think the 1.8t pan could be done fairly easy with the help of a couple friends and some time.

SAC_Audi
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Norcal442
I like to drive hard but can't if this thing keeps smacking the ground.

The price you pay for running a car too low to the ground...

Maybe you can find someone to make you one in steel...with replaceable rub strips??? [:D]

nizmosx
01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by SAC_Audi
Ad from Dieselgeek. Even though they advertise a heavy duty version, the function is the same...

"...Skid plate kits protect all of the parts in the bottom of the engine bay, including the cast aluminum oil pan, a/c compressor, radiator, condenser, transmission, and rear subframe. These items, and especially the very thin cast aluminum oil pan, can be easily damaged by road debris, ice chunks, and minor off-road excursions. Many A4 chassis engines have been destroyed by debris putting a hole or a crack in the aluminum oil pan and the subsequent loss of oil pressure."
Even "thin plastic" will divert debris...

simply a marketing technique. if audi felt thiers wasnt good enought they wouldnt have put it on the car. i have been driving with out mine and as a matter of fact none of my other cars had them. this piece of crap is to keep the engine clean, and annoy the shit out of you when you need to change your oil, 350 is ridiculous. if you guys want to spend that kind of cash then its all you. ill take the risk with my oil pan which is tucked in about 4 inches higher than where my reiger rs4 bumper and soon to be intercooler sits.
im not too worried about it. i dont plan on smacking anything too hard.

Norcal442
01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
The thing is.. my car isn't even that low. Its only the H&R sport springs.

I will post some pics later. Here is waht it looks like now, the wheel gap that is

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/4839Wheel_1-med.JPG

nizmosx
01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
seriously i dont think you have anything to worry about. if your really scared about f'in up your oil pan, then buy one. but i dont see how that thing is going to protect a thin peice of aluminum from getting damaged. i can see how that thing can protect it from rock chips and such but there is no way if you bottom out on a dip or what not the skid plate itself wont take out the oilpan. ive been underneath my car plenty of times and i cant imagine the stock one doing anything to protect my oil pan so i took it off. and there is no way in hell i will pay 350 for the alternative. its realy your choice.

Norcal442
01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
^^ Alright thanks

RafyA4
01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't have mine on, and yes I cracked the oil pan and lost all my transmission fuild. I was able to patch the oil pan myself with the help of a buddie and all i had to pay was to put the fuild back into the tranny.
JB Weld = $5
Fuild = $110
Mechanic to put oil back in $40

Thank god for JB Weld!

now would I but the belly pan? Thinking about it! lol!

nizmosx
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
haha do you seriously think the belly pan would have helped you, that shit shatters on impact, im sure youve heard people talking about it. id sell you mine for practically nothing but im going to store it and throw it on the car when resell time comes along

SAC_Audi
01-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Not designed to protect if from bottoming out...Designed to help with airflow and to keep debris from entering engine bay from below...

Those who have lowered the car to the point where they bottom out over speed bumps or California drainage systems (you've seen the scrapes and gouges in the roads) need to put on serious rally car protection under their pans...

I still say go with the rub strips...F1 cars use them all the time!!!

98a4
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by STKSKI
I have mine off, not by choice though. Mine got ripped off in the snow too and the two back brackets fell off over a period of a month driving without it so it would be hard to put it back on.

ECS sells the whole clip/screw kit. Look in that, I had a similar problem and got all new hardware

98a4
01-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Anyone think about just adding a few layers of fiberglass weave matt to their stock one? For as cheep as the materials are I think it might be worth the little extra protection... Just an idea

jefferson88
01-20-2005, 04:37 PM
If you hit something hard enough to crack an oil pan that belly pan won't help a bit. Mine shattered on some snow at the end of my driveway.... It wasn't even hard frozen snow. It was piled deep enough to pry the one end off so it dragged. Its the flimsiest crap you have ever seen.

1Reidiculus-A4
01-20-2005, 07:34 PM
It looks like a belly pan is more essential for people who live in areas w/ seasons, i.e winter and fall. In socal it's not that big of a deal to not have one, nothing much to worry about on the roads here. I don't have mine, no problems at all.

Norcal442
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm gonna put a few screws in this weekend and see if the sagging goes away.. It's really pissing me off! I feel like im gonna nose dive and take out my front bumper, but it's all good

onemoremile
01-21-2005, 08:08 AM
i've got the dieselgeek skid plate and i wouldn't want to pull into my driveway without it. getting over the snowplow's berm is no big deal now.

-jt
west michigan winter equipped.

marked001
01-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I was planning on making my cf skidplate tomorrow... but now the weather is messing those plans up [:(]

onemoremile
01-21-2005, 08:16 AM
oh, if i had the stock one i would add some fiberglass or kevlar cloth to it with a cold weather resin.

you've got to be careful with the resin selection because of the temperature variances. the cloth should also wrap around the leading and trailing edges to prevent delamination at speed. in other words, don't stick the fiberglass to the plastic, encase it.

if you want it crazy strong you could add a thin (.032") sheet of aluminum or steel between the cloth and plastic belly pan. fiberglass mat would work too but it is more for building up bulk than strength.

TomRitt18944
01-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I made mine out of alluminum great insurance for $50 and a couple hrs!