PDA

View Full Version : wierd issue

fanuvbrak
01-12-2005, 06:20 AM
lately, my car's been acting different. it's not exactly bad, but it's different. i will try to explain:

it's a completely stock 1.8TQTip w/ about 70,000 miles on it.

in the last week, i have replaced the headlight washer pump, put in new ngk sparkplugs, added a can of lucas fuel additive, and put in a k&n air filter.

now the car seems to run smoother, which i attributed to the sparkplugs. but it also doesn't feel like it has as much low-end torque as it used to. i can feel the boost better now in the 3,500 to 4,500 rpm range. and sometimes, when in tip mode, and i slow to where it automatically downshifts, it feels like it "glides" for a second before it catches gear.

and to top it all off, my coolant temp sensor has a short in it. what other systems does this info feed besides the temp gauge?

i know, kind of vague, but it's troubling...

greengravy
01-12-2005, 07:10 AM
thats interesting... i dont think my temp gauge works period because it never goes above like 170

greengravy
01-12-2005, 07:11 AM
unless of course my car is messed up which is a possibility

Live2Ski
01-12-2005, 07:30 AM
mine never gets above 170 either, unless its a hot summer day

fanuvbrak
01-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Live2Ski
mine never gets above 170 either, unless its a hot summer day

this morning, mine never moved from cold. i popped the hood and moved the wires attached to the sensor and it read correctly. my question here is: will the car think it's still cold and adjust the fuel/air mixture, idle, or anything?

i know when you chip a nat asp domestic car, you also change the thermostat so that the engine thinks it's running cooler than it is.

brettuzzi
01-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by greengravy
thats interesting... i dont think my temp gauge works period because it never goes above like 170

There is a digital readout on most a4 sensors on your climate controls.. I'll find the list of which are what but heres the deal:

Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the manual flow control up arrow. You should see a 1c. Press the temperature up ("+") or down ("-") buttons to select a code number. Then press the recirculation button again. The value should display. Press the temperature up or down button again to display another code.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int5.shtml

theres the guide

check what the DIGITAL read out is of your coolant temperature before making any judgements about what is broken

(51 is Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C )