PDA

View Full Version : very strange problem Please HELP!!

Shhmaudi
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
So I go to roll down my passenger window and it goes down like normal... Butttt, when I go to roll it back up with the driver side door controls it will not go back up[headbang][headbang]

However, I reach across and use the passenger side door switch and it goes up[confused][confused]

This is the only window in the car that does this.. all the other windows are fine

So I can roll down the window from the driver door but I can only roll it up from the passenger side switch[headbang][headbang]

Anyone know what that might be??
Please help

dangerous_dave
12-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Sounds to me like you need a new switch on the drivers master switch. I don't remember if you can buy individual switches for the master or if you have to replace the master as a whole.

bez101
12-09-2009, 03:57 AM
you have to replace the full master but you could always check the wireing between car anr door pull rubber boot back and check very comeon over here they strech over time and crack look closley as there very thin and hard to see what 1 is broke

marknad113
12-09-2009, 05:36 AM
my ignition switch went bad before and it made my windows act up. just something to check, its pretty common on our cars

RockyMountainB5
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
^^^
I agree that electrical shorts are not always what they seem - but this sounds like you need to tear open your door panel and take a root around in there...

A4DRIVR
12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
In most vehicle window systems, the Master switch (driver side) houses all of the controls for every window. So, when you operating the passenger side switch, it is actually sending a signal to the master switch to tell it to roll up/down the passenger window. I would almost bet that the master has a faulty micro-potentiometer/switch for the passenger window.

Shhmaudi
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I would almost bet that the master has a faulty micro-potentiometer/switch for the passenger window.

So your sayin the driver side window switch is dunzo?? How can it make it go down then??

Anyone know where I can find a DIy to take the door panels off? So I can see if there may be a short..

Also Anyone know where I can find a driver master switch?? Or how much they cost??

Shhmaudi
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
you have to replace the full master but you could always check the wireing between car anr door pull rubber boot back and check very comeon over here they strech over time and crack look closley as there very thin and hard to see what 1 is broke

Good Idea I am going to check that too! I used to know a few websites full of diy for the a4 but my comp crashed and I lost all the links.. :(

Thanks for all the great responses guys!!![up]

NJx
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Heres the diy for a b6 its pretty much the same... all I gotta do is grab the handle and pull up and out lol but i have custom door panels http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/windowswitches.html

Shhmaudi
12-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Heres the diy for a b6 its pretty much the same... all I gotta do is grab the handle and pull up and out lol but i have custom door panels http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/windowswitches.html

You are awesome!! thank you!!!!![wrench][up]

NJx
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
yuppp np good luck

mholme
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Careful with the B6 write up, the beltline trim does not remove the same on a B5. That's a sure fire way to ruin your day. You don't need to remove it anyway for this job, but just so you know and don't try it.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int65.shtml. This is B5 specific for a window regulator replacement and shows all the screws for the panel.

dangerous_dave
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
In most vehicle window systems, the Master switch (driver side) houses all of the controls for every window. So, when you operating the passenger side switch, it is actually sending a signal to the master switch to tell it to roll up/down the passenger window. I would almost bet that the master has a faulty micro-potentiometer/switch for the passenger window.

This is where I was going with my post. If none of the windows would work with the master, then you could have a short somewhere but where all the other windows work with the master switch, it's probably just micro switch for that window in the master control.

dangerous_dave
12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
So your sayin the driver side window switch is dunzo?? How can it make it go down then??

Anyone know where I can find a DIy to take the door panels off? So I can see if there may be a short..

Also Anyone know where I can find a driver master switch?? Or how much they cost??

The micro switch is a two position switch. It rocks up and down. You push the button one way, it sends a signal to the motor to go one way. You pull the switch and it hits another contact that makes the motor go another way. That's why it will go down and not up. Does that clear it up a little better?

You may be able to get one at Germanautoparts.com or ECStuning.com.

I personally would go to the dealer. They will probably have it in stock and you will get a 12 month warranty with it.

Shhmaudi
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM
The micro switch is a two position switch. It rocks up and down. You push the button one way, it sends a signal to the motor to go one way. You pull the switch and it hits another contact that makes the motor go another way. That's why it will go down and not up. Does that clear it up a little better?

You may be able to get one at Germanautoparts.com or ECStuning.com.

I personally would go to the dealer. They will probably have it in stock and you will get a 12 month warranty with it.

I got it now.. def clears it up.. I am betting I have a short then for sure.. right????Thanks again guys.. Everyone who replied in this thread YOU ROCK[race][up]