PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms?

snow19
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
So i need new control arms, i was wondering were is the best place to get a control arm kit? I have herd ebay sucks for control arms unless you guys have herd differnt. Were else could i go?

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
DO NOT GET THEM FROM EBAY!!!!

These are hugely important to your car. We have three different kits to do ALL the control arms. Your best bet is the Febi, great quality kits and they just dropped the price. You also get free shipping on full kits.

Click here for ordering details and pricing (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Control_Arm_Kit/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply)

http://www.ecstuning.com/product_library/28430/800/Upgraded%20Control%20Arm%20Kit%20With%20With%20HD% 20Tie%20Rod%20Ends%20%26%20Hardware.jpg (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Control_Arm_Kit/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply)

pzp107
12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with ebay ones. In fact the ones on ebay are actually febi, meyle, etc or a mix of these. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than other places as well. They are equally as good. I have used both.

seanriv
12-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Great buy from here!
http://www.autohausaz.com

They are on a huge sale.

JAW714
12-08-2009, 03:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Audi-A4-A6-Volkswagen-Passat-Control-Arm-Arms-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c077066e2QQitemZ12 0383891170QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

Has anyone purchased these from eBay?

discontained
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Audi-A4-A6-Volkswagen-Passat-Control-Arm-Arms-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c077066e2QQitemZ12 0383891170QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

Has anyone purchased these from eBay?

I bought that exact kit.. 1 month ago, no problems yet. They look decent and quailty. Packing was superb.

[up]

tdn
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd recommend not buying from ECS, those douchebags are still spamming my email account after FOUR requests to be removed from the mailing list. It took a while from my spam filter to start picking them up, but it's working well now. So even if I wanted to order from them, I can't because I can't get confirmation emails etc...

but if you have no other option but to buy from ECS, only buy from them when they offer free shipping, as they like to anally penetrate you on shipping charges.

MJMAutohaus.com the sponsors of this forum have always treated me like a king and they price match - which I've never had to use because their prices have been lower anyway. PureMS.com has the Febi Kit for the same price, I'm sure they match ECS' free shipping if asked when called.

revbjeff
12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I bought that exact kit.. 1 month ago, no problems yet. They look decent and quailty. Packing was superb.

[up]

Same here

BLK_A4
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Eh mixed reviews, i am in the same delima now. I just dont want to get the kit off ebay and have to do it all over again in 6 months.

Seerlah
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Cheap and gets the job done: FCP Ebay Special
Decent price with good quality: 034 kit
Rated as the best: Febi

You get what you pay for!

wesleyfbm
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
ecs is pretty expensive in general. i try to avoid at all costs.

Seerlah
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Also, my mechanic said he had issues with the Meyle kit. He is an enthusiest with a B5 Passat VR6 Quattro conversion. Maybe it was a user install error, but he is rather good at what he does. Just a heads up.

turbo_bootin
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.blauparts.com/ has pretty good pricing on control arms I think. Not sure about the quality of eBay.

Amorphic
12-08-2009, 06:24 PM
another vote for febi. good set. i dont like to cheap out on things like control arms etc.

Saskwatch
12-08-2009, 06:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-00-01-AUDI-A4-1-8-UPGRADED-CONTROL-ARM-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41495f93c8QQitemZ28 0403874760QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

not one squeak rattle or issue with this kit.. going on three months installed...
one year warranty on parts too!!!

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-09-2009, 06:40 AM
You get what you pay for when it comes to control arms. If you search best control arm kit you will get many people recommending the Febi kits. They have the best track record and are priced fair. I got new control arms on my car over 5 years ago, before I worked for ECS mind you, and used Febi. I'm going fantastically strong still with no regrets. And back when I purchased the kit it was closer to 1k than the sub 500 it is now.

If you want the best kit, go Febi.

calvin1.8t
12-09-2009, 06:43 AM
I just bought the OEMs.

JAW714
12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308448

Great thread about the Hamburg-Technic control arms on the bimmer side. A decent read.

revbjeff
12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308448

Great thread about the Hamburg-Technic control arms on the bimmer side. A decent read.

I believe this is the brand of eBay CA's I used

D's Avant
12-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Split the difference and get the 034 MS kit. I have the eBay kit and it's okay, just starting to make some noise at the 18 month mark.

Scotty@Advanced
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Decent price with good quality: 034 kit

I use and install the 034 stuff.. You can't beat the quality or price.

Mike@PureMS
12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Our Febi-Bilstein and Febi/Stern kits are some of the most popular. Febi's are one of the few remaining kits still actually manufactured in Germany, so they still have the highest quality.

We've got them at great prices, and combined with our holiday coupons, you can't go wrong!

Gaberossi
12-09-2009, 08:34 AM
got my STERN adjustable control arms from PureMS......love em, and now i can fine tune the camber

Cronogr
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I got the meyle hd kit (350-380euros shipped) from ebay germany quality is outstanding but they weight slightly more compare to the oem ones absolutely no issues with the install they are perfect

mad_circle21
12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
In my car I got 65,000 out of the oem control arms and replaced them with fcp groton(ebay) and got 50,000 miles out of them. I didn't know at the time to torque everything down with the car on the ground either. So its time for me to replace them again and i went the the ebay kit. I'd say it's just a matter of how long you plan on keeping your car, which kit you buy.

Seerlah
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
You don't torque it with the vehicle on the ground. I really don't see how that is possible. You place a hydraulic jack with a prop (2x4 will work quite fine) under the spindle and add load to it. Then you torque the bolts down.

dangerous_dave
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
When you buy these OEM control arm kits from suppliers like ECS or Gap, have you ever wondered why they are so much cheaper than the dealer? I will tell you why. You are buying factory second parts. During the QC process for the part, something was wrong with it. Something small, like it didn't weigh the right weight or there was a blemish. Usually you will be OK but sometimes you will have a part failure after a few years. Especially if you don't install the control arms properly. You are not suppose to tighten the control arms up until you have the vehicle on a flat surface. You are suppose to pre load the tension on the bushings. If you don't do it properly, it causes undue stress on the bushings. Also, just so you guys know, when you do the upper control arms the control arm is suppose to be 47MM +or- 2MM apart from the mounting bracket. That is the factory spec for it on a non lowered vehicle. Obviously if you are lowered it will need to be closer.

I would say stay away from ebay control arms. If the dealer sells them for 100-200 each, ECS sells them for 500 for the set and ebay stores can get 300 shipped for them, that would make me wonder how much the ebay store paid for them and why was it so cheap.

When I did my timing belt I was tempted to buy the kit from ECS. I ended up buying OEM parts from my dealership. Even with my discount I payed 100 dollars more than I would have if I bought the kit from ECS.

Usually nothing bad happens when you order these reduced price OEM parts from ECS and the other companies but I just felt the need to let you guys know what's up.

Not a knock on ECS by the way. I have spent several thousand dollars there between my 3 cars and will continue to buy more from them.

mad_circle21
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
You don't torque it with the vehicle on the ground. I really don't see how that is possible. You place a hydraulic jack with a prop (2x4 will work quite fine) under the spindle and add load to it. Then you torque the bolts down.

yea that too haha. Should've said ride height.

dangerous_dave
12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
You are suppose to use an alignment rack when you torque the CA bolts. To do it right without a rack you measure 47mm from the top arms to the mounting bracket. To do the bottom arms you can measure your wheel gap on the ground and use a Jack to push the wheel up to what you measured while you have the car in the air. Most people don't have access to an alignment rack obviously so this is the method most people use.

pzp107
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
You are making this more difficult than it is. Many people use the ebay kit. It is much cheaper and with bing cash back even cheaper. Get whatever you wallet dictates. It works just as well. I have had no issues, nor many others. This is not something that needs to be so precise as far as install goes. Just measure your fender gap before you remove your old ones from top of tire to fender. Then install new ones and dont tighten. Since the suspension is of self-destructive type you jack up that wheel or spindle with a 2 by 4 or whatever. Measure the fender gap till it matches. Then tighten down, lower it and your done. If you have a lowered suspension same thing applies. Its just so the bushing isnt preloaded one way or the other when at rest. It will always load as the suspension travels. You dont need a rack and you dont need a lift, although it woudl be easier since you can drive the car on the lift and do all 4 at once.

dangerous_dave
12-10-2009, 02:43 AM
I'll make sure to tell Audi that everything they taught me is wrong and your way is better. I just thought I would post the actual spec provided for the upper control arms and educate people about the proper way to set up the bottom. I know I shouldn't bother. If you want to buy sub standard parts and install them so they need to be replaced in 20k, go for it.

Mike@PureMS
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
You are suppose to use an alignment rack when you torque the CA bolts. To do it right without a rack you measure 47mm from the top arms to the mounting bracket. To do the bottom arms you can measure your wheel gap on the ground and use a Jack to push the wheel up to what you measured while you have the car in the air. Most people don't have access to an alignment rack obviously so this is the method most people use.

This method only works on factory suspension heights, not lowered cars.

dangerous_dave
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
This method only works on factory suspension heights, not lowered cars.

I addressed that issue in my first post in this thread. The upper arms will have to be closer than 47mm to the bracket. More like 30mm but you would measure your wheel gap just the same on a lowered vehicle.

A4Rob
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I have had great luck with the FCP Groton seller on ebay. Fast shipping and it was about 2/10ths the price of 034. It came with the upgraded S4 tie rod ends too.