PDA

View Full Version : abs light fix

Quattrocket
01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
im thinking of opening up my guage cluster and pulling out the lights for the ABS and brake light. its been on since i did my brake job in the summer. im pretty sure the unit is toast. will i screw anything up if i pull the lights out???

BigRonsAudi
01-11-2005, 09:12 PM
when my ABS light came on, it was my abs control module

audispeed
01-11-2005, 10:54 PM
doesnt really seem like a fix to me, more like denial [:D]

yellowaudi24psi
01-12-2005, 05:24 AM
i was thinking of doing that also. pls post after its done and let us know how difficult/ tim consuming it was

docurley
01-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Taking the clusters out is an easy job (see audi world for write-up) so it wont take long at all about 30mins in all 1 hour worst.

Burntaudi
01-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
im thinking of opening up my guage cluster and pulling out the lights for the ABS and brake light. its been on since i did my brake job in the summer. im pretty sure the unit is toast. will i screw anything up if i pull the lights out???

I would find out why the light is on first...it maybe something as simple as a disconnected sensor or a broken wire. Have you tried vaging the ABS module?

R1ceRocket
01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Like many of the other people with A4's, my ABS control module is shot too. I don't plan on replacing it (I can live without ABS), so I was considering pulling the bulbs out, as well.

If you decide to do it, document it with pictures.

If you don't wanna pull the bulbs out, take them and cover it in electrical tape or spray paint them black. They'll still be flashing in the cluster, but it won't show up and you don't have to pull out the bulbs altogether.

sighpost
01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Wait a second. You said after you did your brake job? Have checked to make sure the ABS sensors are seated all the way down. I had to GENTLY tap mine back in with a hammer when I pulled em, to do my CV joint boots.

Quattrocket
01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
i had it vaged and the mechanic tried to clear it but it wouldnt. I just figured it happeded when i retracted the caliper, some ppl were saying that when you push it back it forced dirty brake fluid back into the system and wrecks your ABS. now that i think about it, it could very well be the sensor. thanks, ill check it out. if it isnt that, im still cool with it, I hate ABS anyways. there should be an on/off switch for that on all cars equipperd with it IMO. thanks for the help.

96B5A4
01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
My ABS light is also on. i had it checked out and they said that the module was not communicating with the computer. I also don't like ABS to begin with so this isnt a big deal for me, but is it as easy as taking out a bulb to make the light go away?

LEDFoot
01-13-2005, 09:07 AM
You could take the bulb out but it would still beep at you.

I just want to let you gus know that driving around with a broken abs control module is not just driving around a car with normal brakes without abs.
the abs pump also controls the power assist and what is called brake biasing (brake force is distributed differently depending on vehicle speed and direction).
With the abs control gone your rear wheels will lock up long before your front wheels have full braking power applied to them. During normal driving this isn't a problem, but when the time comes where you have to slam on your brakes they are not going to function nearly as well as a car with regular brakes and just no abs system.

Just something that you should be aware of and drive very very carefully if you have a shot abs control module.

Don't mean to sound like your mom, but I recently had a very bad experience. I bought the car, turns out it had a broken abs controller and the warning light and beep was disabled so I did not know about it. I'm just happy I didn't find out about it on the freeway with my child in the car.

Oh, and if you do disable the warning light, and then sell the car without fixing it again you could be in for a whole lot of trouble.