PDA

View Full Version : Turbo support bracket for Eliminator?

97a41.8t
12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Has anyone made their own support bracket for the eliminator that goes on the bottom of the stock turbo? Or just removed it?

I have removed mine since the turbo wouldn't fit with it there but now I'm thinking to fab up a bracket just to prevent the manifold from cracking.

flynnr
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
you should do this and take some pics

hernandez3011
12-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I removed the k03 bracket and threw it away. The bolt that screws into the oil pan is a HUGE pita to remove. Installed the elim without any bracket at all. No problems yet after a year.

eurotecknik
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I, too, installed the elim without any bracket at all.

I also have a High Flow Manifold and I don't see any cracks after the install a few years ago.

I don't know about hair small cracks though.

Fabbing up a bracket for the elim turbo is a good preventative idea and I have thought about doing it but since I don't work on cars for a living and did my turbo install myself I thought screw the bracket.

On the other hand some run turbos like GT3071 and don't have a bracket. (correct me if I am wrong, maybe some do.) Just saying the I have seen many big turbo A4's with no bracket and so far I don't know anyone who has one.

97a41.8t
12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
The BAT group uses the SPA manifold or the Log T3/T4 manifold which seem to be built/designed better than the stock/hi flow manifold with the KKK flange since most of the weight of the turbo and downpipe are on the front two exhaust ports.

The reason I am wanting to do this is I plan on purchasing the ATP/034 Hi Flow manifold which seem to be prone to cracking right after the second cylinder. With some support from the bottom of the turbo, it "SHOULD NOT" crack......shouldn't... [:D]

I'll rip her apart during Christmas/New Years [wrench][wrench]

Eurotuned_A4
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
ive had he elim/high flow mani on my cr for a few years. one of the first on AZ to get the set up actually. No problems with mine at all and i have no bracket. I havent taken it completely off but ive gotten a lot of good glimpses of it and i check it often and there have been no issues.....hairline would be harder to see but im sure they wold be visible by now if there were an issue

biketsai
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
That's what our flex pipes are for, to prevent cracking. If anything it seems like a bracket would just cause more vibration and stress.

quattrosedan
12-08-2009, 08:29 AM
With the elim, you don't need to worry about bracing. But a bat setup should def consider it. My custom log manifold is cracking in the center. I am rebuilding a stainless log setup with a custom brace this time....

one8t
03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Anybody recall what size allen bolt holds the bracket to the cylinder head, 6mm? Thanks!

one8t
03-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Got it, it's a 6mm head, but after 10 years and almost 200,000 miles it's more like a 5.5mm. Cut half way through the bracket with a air cut off tool, bent and moved the bracket around with a 3', 3" diameter pipe and that loosened up the bracket enough to use a 5.5mm allen key to take the bolt out the rest of the way. Fun.