PDA

View Full Version : tons of water in my 99.

wolfshirt
12-05-2009, 06:32 AM
so i got an inch of water built up in my 99 B5. no sunroof

all on the drivers side.

any common places to look for water leaks?

door seals seem good, hosed down the rain tray and saw nothing trickling down the firewall.

im stumped.

BADB5A4
12-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Not sure what the rain tray is but have you checked the drain holes for the sunroof?

vortexjunkie
12-05-2009, 07:15 AM
he said he doesnt have a sunroof so there wont be drains for it...and the rain try is also know as the air plentum spacer or for normal people the black tray under your windshield wipers

i have this problem once i tried to find the leak by spraying water on the car but it took me pulling the entire interior carpet and seats out to find where the water was leaking from... it sucked but i got the leak fixed...

dangerous_dave
12-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Pull you battery out and remove the rubber drain plug completely. There is also one on the passenger side. Also, replace the seal for the pollen filter housing. Take your seat out, pull the carpet up and get the water out. Then take a fan and blow air to help dry out the carpet. After the carpet is dry have a friend spray water on the roof down the windshield and you watch to see if more water comes in. If it does you should replace the rain trays. If replacing the rain trays doesn't fix it you need to see if any of the rubber grommets in the firewall are loose, missing or rotted. I hope this helps.

walky_talky20
12-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Some common leak areas are:

- drain near battery gets clogged
- throttle cable grommet
- sunroof drains get clogged

Last one doesn't apply to you. I guess I'd pull the battery first to check that.

quattrosedan
12-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Check where the lines go into the car to the master cylinder....mine leaked there...

terraflata
12-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice thread. I had water in my car too, never bothered to make a thread though, just removed my carpet picked up the water. Oddly the water hasn't made it's way back though....