PDA

View Full Version : AWM swap in a 97

T0mat3
12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
So i know that i would need to swap an older dbc throttle body, but would i still used the AEB ECU or would i need to get AWM ECU? AEB sell like hot cakes where i am, and ive been having trouble getting one. Also, i was going to buy a PES t28 kit with a unitronic big turbo chip, but its for the AEB, so if i need the AWM ECU, i wont buy it. Thanks in advance.

A4DRIVR
12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Since you plan to keep the DBC from the 97, you will use the ECU from the 97.

There are some other minor differences between the motors which will play a factor... for instance, the cam chain tensioner on the AWM motor is equipt with VVT... if you still have your old motor, you could simply swap the tensioners. The old AEB style tensioner will work in the AWM head (and vice versa).

A little digging thru the forums should answer most all of the questions you have...

What's the build intent for this car? That will help you decide which parts you should use... DBC or DBW.

T0mat3
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

There are some other minor differences between the motors which will play a factor... for instance, the cam chain tensioner on the AWM motor is equipt with VVT... if you still have your old motor, you could simply swap the tensioners. The old AEB style tensioner will work in the AWM head (and vice versa).

A little digging thru the forums should answer most all of the questions you have...

What's the build intent for this car? That will help you decide which parts you should use... DBC or DBW.

Well, i bought the car with a motor that overheated, B/c of a faulty oil pump and the cam tensioner needs to be replaced on it.. Ive found little AEB's. Ive seen much more DBW motors for sale, with lower millage and for reasonable prices. If you say that i wont need to use the newer ECU, it makes my life a hole lot easier. So now i can just buy that PES kit, and i should be happy for a while. I might rebuild my AEB head later on. Anyway, thanks for that quick response :D

walky_talky20
12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
You don't have to swap out the cam chain tensioner on the AWM. If you just leave it unplugged the default position is the same as the AEB tensioner (all slack to top). Although it is kind of a waste of an expensive VVT tensioner.

T0mat3
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
You don't have to swap out the cam chain tensioner on the AWM. If you just leave it unplugged the default position is the same as the AEB tensioner (all slack to top). Although it is kind of a waste of an expensive VVT tensioner.

it less expensive that way then having to buy a AEB one just for that lol. Thanks though :)

Oceanside
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
that vvt chain tensioner in the awm is around 500 just rebuilt, hence why he says its a waste not to use it if you can get one in a motor cheap

biketsai
12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Wanna buy a PES T28 ECU for the AWM?

T0mat3
12-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Nope, ive got a unitronic chip for it from the guy. I have to go get the kit first too :)

VirginiaBeachA4
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
well you should also slap a aeb head on there.

A4DRIVR
12-07-2009, 09:07 AM
What's your plan for the AEB head on the car now? How hot did it get? Hot enough to sieze the motor? If the cam shaft journals aren't scored up to bad, I may be interested in the head.

PM me with some info, and maybe post up some pics of your car and motor(s)

T0mat3
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
What's your plan for the AEB head on the car now? How hot did it get? Hot enough to sieze the motor? If the cam shaft journals aren't scored up to bad, I may be interested in the head.

PM me with some info, and maybe post up some pics of your car and motor(s)

The motor in the car itself runs, just lots of ticking. Like ive said before, i bought this car for the body panels to fix my 2.8, but it has NO RUST, so i sold my 2.8 to fund this one :). The previous owner said that he found a bit of metal shavings in the oil pan, and since hes an engineer, he could afford to outright just go buy an other car. Ill let you know once the motor is swap if the head is any good. I might of found an other AEB, so i probably wont need the head anyway. Ill get back to you on that :P

hernandez3011
12-07-2009, 05:21 PM

What kind of injectors is this PES tune made for? 440, 550, 630? Thanks

jsquillz22
12-08-2009, 06:31 AM

What's the build intent for this car? That will help you decide which parts you should use... DBC or DBW.pretty sure AWM is out of a 01.... ATW is from a 2000 and it the almost the same is AEB with sum minor differences.. the heads are the main difference, i read somewhere that the AWM motor is shit.... personally id stay with the AEB if ya got it.... or sell it too me [>_<]

Haenszel20v
12-08-2009, 06:40 AM
i read somewhere that the AWM motor is shit....
the head is "less than desirable"..... but the block is certainly more desirable than AEB..... by far if you're building a strong motor.

A4DRIVR
12-08-2009, 06:41 AM
pretty sure AWM is out of a 01.... ATW is from a 2000 and it the almost the same is AEB with sum minor differences.. the heads are the main difference, i read somewhere that the AWM motor is shit.... personally id stay with the AEB if ya got it.... or sell it too me [>_<]

Based on the OP, I assumed he had purchased an AWM motor, which obviously didn't come in the 97.

And I completely disagree that the AWM motor is Poop... but I'm a little biased! [>_<]

T0mat3
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Based on the OP, I assumed he had purchased an AWM motor,

Or was going to buy, but lucky me, found a aeb with all accessories for 800 bucks:)