PDA

View Full Version : drop in air filter

godwine
01-10-2005, 08:47 PM
anyone else makes good and high flow drop in other than Fram and K&N? I wanted to get a K&N, anyone disagree to that or have other suggestions?

Thanks!

godwine
01-10-2005, 08:48 PM
i am also open to suggestions for ready made cone kit..

Pureaudi
01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
search,

i believe boostedaudi is makin one.

94jedi
01-11-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Pureaudi
search,

i believe boostedaudi is makin one.

If he ever comes out with it![:p]

buck
01-11-2005, 05:54 AM
an alternative is:

ITG air filters (http://www.itgairfilters.com/)

it is a foam filter. doesn't require to be oiled like the K&N type. this is good for our cars because some people complain that the oil can throw off MAF readings if not applied properly to the filter.

DDQ
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Go with ITG, it's a great product and no oil to worry about on your MAF. I'm don't like the idea of K&N. Many have had MAF problems. I know someone will chime in saying they've never had problems, but many of the problems come after longer-term use. Also, if you under oil the K&N it's really not filtering that well.

quattroanillos5
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
i thought the ITG filter also neede to be oiled... can anyone confirm this either way because if it doen't need to be oiled i'm buying one today.....

Fartsniffer
01-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I think the only time you'll have trouble with the oil on a K&N is if you clean and re-oil the thing yourself and don't allow enough time for it to dry or use too much oil.
Out of the box it doens't have much oil, maybe shoot some light air through it from a compressor or something to blow out any extra red oil.
Foam ain't the greatest, like an HKS filter the foam deteriorates over time and you really don't want your car sucking in little pieces of foam. That and it doesn't filter as well as a K&N.

yellowaudi24psi
01-11-2005, 10:02 AM
ive been running a K&N filter for a while now and i have had no problems i would recommend it

jones3000
01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
why try and re-invent the wheel? K&N is world reknown and the ITG has been race tested. why would you look for something else?

DDQ
01-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Here's some corporate info on the benefits of foam: http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?section=trifoam

I suppose foam can deteriorate, but I have had only gone through two foam filters for over six years that both held up great. I also have over 100,000 miles on my car and it's still a baby.

Actually, paper filters aren't all that bad either.

godwine
01-11-2005, 10:22 AM
which one is better performance wise? Has anyone compare the CFM of these filters? I would think the the K&N will be better than a foam system? Anyone?

buck
01-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by quattroanillos5
i thought the ITG filter also neede to be oiled... can anyone confirm this either way because if it doen't need to be oiled i'm buying one today.....

from my understanding - the profilter comes factory oiled and does not require re-oiling. They only recommend vacuuming the filter, not washing it.

take a look at the site, it should explain it all.

DDQ
01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by godwine
which one is better performance wise? Has anyone compare the CFM of these filters? I would think the the K&N will be better than a foam system? Anyone?

There might be a 0.00001% difference in performance, at the most.

You won't gain any usable power from changing your filter in these cars. It's so neglibible, if even anything. I just use the ITG because I believe that it's healthier for my engine and I don't have to worry about ruining my MAS.

I guess it's all preference/opinion.

godwine
01-11-2005, 10:56 AM
hmm.. ok.. and I guess ITG don't need to be cleaned and service as much as the K&N right?

fanuvbrak
01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DDQ
Go with ITG, it's a great product and no oil to worry about on your MAF. I'm don't like the idea of K&N. Many have had MAF problems. I know someone will chime in saying they've never had problems, but many of the problems come after longer-term use. Also, if you under oil the K&N it's really not filtering that well.

i just bought a k&n yesterday to install tonight. i had never heard of these problems. do i need to do anything to it before i drop it in? blow air through it, someone said?

Fartsniffer
01-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I just thought that might be an extra measure you could take to ensure no oil gets sucked into your MAF.
I have a warranty though so when I get my K&N this week I'm not gonna worry about it.

Go foam, go K&N, just don't expect any performance gains. I just got my K&N so I dont' have to replace a paper filter all the time.

DDQ
01-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak
i just bought a k&n yesterday to install tonight. i had never heard of these problems. do i need to do anything to it before i drop it in? blow air through it, someone said?

Just make sure it's not soaked in oil. Like I said above, there are guys that have been running them and swear by them. But, I've also heard just as many people that had MAS problems down the road after using them.

Just remember, our cars use a hot filament mass air sensor. If gunk builds up on there, you get bad readings, which equals crappy performance, and potential MAS failure. IMO, it's not worth it for something that won't really give you any added performance.

Fartsniffer
01-11-2005, 11:48 AM
it'll save you money on air filters but may cost you hundreds for a new MAF. glad i have an extended warranty..[cool]

jones3000
01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by fanuvbrak

All K&N's come pre-oiled. Just drop it in.

godwine
01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
alright, just ordered a K&N from speedy performance parts we will see how that goes

WatchMeFlyBy
01-11-2005, 01:40 PM
youll be fine with a K&N, had one for about a month and a half and nothing happened with me.. now i have evo cold air, and despite what others may say, i would never go back to an airbox.

white fish
01-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I have an ITG
and I'm pretty sure you should wash and re-oil
I have the how to clean .pdf file on my hard drive

DDQ
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by white fish
I have an ITG
and I'm pretty sure you should wash and re-oil
I have the how to clean .pdf file on my hard drive

Nope, no need to oil the drop-in pro-filter. Comes with some lube on it to keep it fresh in the package, but you should wipe it off before installing. After that, you can wipe it clean with a cloth, and/or vacuum it to remove particles.

See here: http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/cleaning-profilter.pdf

To clean and re-oil any filter is a dirty job and it is difficult to apply the oil coating just right. But with the pro-filter life being more than 3 times longer than the market leader, you can probably 'Fit & Forget' your pro-filter. All that is needed is to check the filter at every engine service interval to remove any large debris that may have found it way into the air box. If the filter looks visibly clogged on the coarse layer of foam, the following steps can be taken. The filter can be wiped with lint free cloth to remove any surface dust and grime and if necessary a vacuum cleaner can be used to encourage any deeper dust out of the filter. By
massaging the nozzle on the coarse foam of the filter you will dislodge any debris which will then be drawn up by the hoover. This will result in your filter having a longer life than any competitive product.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
If he ever comes out with it![:p]
vVery funny. I told you guys . its will be out this month for sure. i astually will be taking orders soon.

buck
01-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by DDQ
Nope, no need to oil the drop-in pro-filter. Comes with some lube on it to keep it fresh in the package, but you should wipe it off before installing. After that, you can wipe it clean with a cloth, and/or vacuum it to remove particles.

See here: http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/cleaning-profilter.pdf

... you can probably 'Fit & Forget' your pro-filter. ...

I read that also. what get's me is the statement "probably"! LOL... so what, will the ITG 'probably' filter out air particles?

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by DDQ
There might be a 0.00001% difference in performance, at the most.
. . .

I would say with a boosted car running any kind of chip, the DI filter will net a few ponies. THere is a flow increase with DI filters IMO.

DDQ
01-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Nor_Cal_Driver
I would say with a boosted car running any kind of chip, the DI filter will net a few ponies. THere is a flow increase with DI filters IMO.

That's true in most cars that come stock with inferior airboxes. But, that's not the case in the 1.8T. And even if you did net 1-3 ponies, you wouldn't know it after you lose 25% of it in the Quattro drivetrain.

Fartsniffer
01-12-2005, 09:26 AM
how much is the ITG? my K&N off ebay was like $45.

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
K&N at my local Napa parts house was $45 with-out the need for shipping and I installed it in the parking lot. I had no idea an air-filter could be such a pain to install compaired with my Honda's. I guess that's why the A4 stock intake system works better then a Honda's.

WatchMeFlyBy
01-12-2005, 10:37 AM
no theres just alot of wires that are attached to the top of the box...need to remove a few things before you can actually open the box... its still simple tho shouldn't take more than 7 minutes..

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I took me 10 minutes tops, just suprised me that I had to remove an airbox cover and how hard it was to wedge the filters in-n-out. I had mad weeds and junk built up next to the pre-filter screen, stealership certified quality inspection my ass.

Kurzer
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Anyone running a "Green" filter?

AKIDD'SA4
01-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Nor-Cal-Driver, can you explain how exactly to replace the air filter..like you did in the parking lot...? I can't seem how to access where its at.....to get to it.... I would appreciate it

DDQ
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by AKIDD'SA4
Nor-Cal-Driver, can you explain how exactly to replace the air filter..like you did in the parking lot...? I can't seem how to access where its at.....to get to it.... I would appreciate it

You just flip the four clips around each edge, and open the box. It's a little tight, but nothing crazy. You have to remove the snorkel pieces first through, which just pull off.

AKIDD'SA4
01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
thanks....I used to ride a Honda Accord.....easy access to the clips...but this is just more compact..i guess.....thanks

NeubsA4
04-15-2008, 03:31 AM
ive been running a K&N filter for a while now and i have had no problems i would recommend it

me too. minor increase in fuel mileage and no problems with my MAF. so far so good