PDA

View Full Version : STaSIS StreetSport vs. Vogtland GT2

Stumanbmx
12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry to start another coilover thread, but I couldn't find any information on the Vogtlands and I'd like to hear some recent information on the StreetSports.

Basically I'm looking to get a nice coilover setup for around $1,200 and I've narrowed it down to these two, however if you have any other suggestions feel free to post them here (along with a reason why of course).

My A4 is my DD but I will also be autocrossing it on weekends, not to mention it will see plenty of time in the twisties. So I'd like something that is bearable during the week yet will allow me toss it into corners and hopefully get rid of some body roll and understeer!

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm a skier so unfortunately they will see plenty of salt in the winter... But we all know quattro and snow tires make it so worth it.

I'd love to hear your opinions and thanks in advance!

mikekehler
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Not one of your two contenders but I recently installed some used Stasis Tracksports on my DD S4 and I still can't wipe the smile off of my face. Definitely a stiffer ride but no complaints from passengers so far (not even the wife) and far from what I would call unbearable.

I wouldn't do anything less if I could do it over but understand that "new" these would be beyond your current price target. For budgeting I'd also be prepared that you might need new control arms, my car is at 90K and they were shot.

Stumanbmx
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Not one of your two contenders but I recently installed some used Stasis Tracksports on my DD S4 and I still can't wipe the smile off of my face. Definitely a stiffer ride but no complaints from passengers so far (not even the wife) and far from what I would call unbearable.

I wouldn't do anything less if I could do it over but understand that "new" these would be beyond your current price target. For budgeting I'd also be prepared that you might need new control arms, my car is at 90K and they were shot.

Thanks for the insight. I'd love to run a set of tracksports but they're quite a bit more like you said, and suspension is just something I feel should be bought new. I bet they are tons of fun though! My control arms are in good condition. [:)]

Mike@PureMS
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Street sport KONI coilovers are pretty soft. Not great for an autox type application. I'd much prefer the Vogtland coilovers for anything more than just daily driving.

D's Avant
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I narrowed my selections down to the two set-ups you mentioned. I went with the StaSIS SS which I picked up for $1,035 with free shipping. My car is my daily driver and the roads here in Illinois are pretty bad so I went with the softer set-up based on what information I could find. I'm very happy with my StaSIS purchase and they are wife approved as far as the ride quality goes. I think the Vogtlands may be what you are looking for if you plan to auto-x yours. Give Mike with Pure Motor Sports a call about the Vogtlands. I would not even think about auto-x mine without upgrading my sways.

Kyle H
12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Street sport KONI coilovers are pretty soft. Not great for an autox type application. I'd much prefer the Vogtland coilovers for anything more than just daily driving.

Yup. I run the Street Sports and they're great for a DD and modest canyon runs... but they don't correct the understeer, and they don't keep the car very flat through the corners. I'll be upgrading to Tracksports as soon as the rest of my car is up to snuff.

Stumanbmx
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
So the StreetSports are really that soft? I'm disappointed, any other coilovers you guys would recommend?

I'll have to see if I can swing tracksports, but that's a lot of money.

Kyle H
12-01-2009, 08:57 PM
They make the car feel tight, and it stays flat accelerating and braking. I love the way the car feels with them. Soft is relative... the car is MUCH MUCH MUCH flatter than stock, and handles 1000x better. I believe in the philosophy that you should only use swaybars to fine tune the suspension (ie: NOT huge hollow bars like the h-sports) and the spring rates/dampening should correct the understeer. Then you can just throw on a large rear sway and the car would rotate great through auto-x. The streetsports require more that just fine tuning to get rid of the understeer, which I think is unacceptable for performance oriented suspension. If you can look past this, they're a great setup and make the car very fun.

have you looked into the startup racing vogtland GT setup?

also:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1626887

edited for clarity

Stumanbmx
12-01-2009, 09:29 PM
They make the car feel tight, and it stays flat accelerating and braking. I love the way the car feels with them. Soft is relative... the car is MUCH MUCH MUCH flatter than stock, and handles 1000x better. I believe in the philosophy that you should only use swaybars to fine tune the suspension (ie: NOT huge hollow bars like the h-sports) and the spring rates/dampening should correct the understeer. Then you can just throw on a large rear sway and the car would rotate great through auto-x.

have you looked into the startup racing vogtland GT setup?

also:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1626887

Which setup are you talking about here? I'm confused.

Also, I've only heard of the SR vogtland GT, never really looked into them.

Thanks for the link though!

Kyle H
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh, sorry. I have the stasis streetsports. My best advice would be to see if you can ride in a couple of cars with coilovers and pick which you like the best. We can't describe the handling very well over the internet.

Stumanbmx
12-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh, sorry. I have the stasis streetsports. My best advice would be to see if you can ride in a couple of cars with coilovers and pick which you like the best. We can't describe the handling very well over the internet.

I understand, It seemed like you were bashing the StreetSports in your first post but then praised them in your second. I get what you're saying now.

Anybody here ever driven a car with the GT2's? I'd like to hear something about them as well.

Seerlah
12-02-2009, 02:41 AM
The spring rates for the Vogtland GT coilovers are more agressive than the Steetsport setup. If you want a spring rate that is comparable, then compare the Vogtland GT and Stasis Tracksport with the agressive spring option. The Steetsports don't really compare to these two.

You also have to weigh in variables. With the Streetsports, you get a lifetime warranty. With the Vogtland GT, you get a 10 year warranty. When I was shopping for coilovers, the Vogtland was at the top of my list. It was only the 10 year warranty thing that was swaying me. I eventually just jumped on the group buy for the ST coilovers. I went with the B5 S4 units because the spring rate was around the 600lbs/in mark (can't remember numbers). The Vogtland GT is not damper adjustable and the Stasis units are. But once again, the Streetsports and Vogtland are not really comparable. The Vogtland is comparable to the Tracksports. I say go for the Vogtland GT units. Those were always on the top of my list.

Edit: Just realised they upgraded the Vogtland GT to GT2 with upgraded shock bodies. Cool beans. I would get the Vogtland GT2 units. link (http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1546)

Stumanbmx
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
The spring rates for the Vogtland GT coilovers are more agressive than the Steetsport setup. If you want a spring rate that is comparable, then compare the Vogtland GT and Stasis Tracksport with the agressive spring option. The Steetsports don't really compare to these two.

You also have to weigh in variables. With the Streetsports, you get a lifetime warranty. With the Vogtland GT, you get a 10 year warranty. When I was shopping for coilovers, the Vogtland was at the top of my list. It was only the 10 year warranty thing that was swaying me. I eventually just jumped on the group buy for the ST coilovers. I went with the B5 S4 units because the spring rate was around the 600lbs/in mark (can't remember numbers). The Vogtland GT is not damper adjustable and the Stasis units are. But once again, the Streetsports and Vogtland are not really comparable. The Vogtland is comparable to the Tracksports. I say go for the Vogtland GT units. Those were always on the top of my list.

Edit: Just realised they upgraded the Vogtland GT to GT2 with upgraded shock bodies. Cool beans. I would get the Vogtland GT2 units. link (http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1546)

After reading this and doing a little more research on Audiworld I think I have made my decision to get the GT2's. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

It would be nice to have the full adjustability of the tracksports but they are a lot more money and some people complained about them pogoing.