PDA

View Full Version : If you have been following my threads- I now have white smoke

stormscr3
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Finally got my car running after installing a new alternator, battery, serpentine belt and used my RossTech Software to pair my Throttle body with VAG-COM. Car is running like a champ now but I have whiteish smoke coming from inside the engine bay underneath the external coolant tank. It's coming out little by little from that area by the headers. Does anyone know what this could be and if it is indeed coolant. Smoke has a sweeter smell and is white in color. Other than that everything is running good, no codes being thrown and idle is perfectly set after I re-did it with VAG-Com. Thanks guys any input or ideas would be helpful!

collins
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
did you replace any of the gaskets on the motor?

EuroDriven
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Could be head or valve cover gasket I believe. But x2 for what he said ^ more info.

-John

stormscr3
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
All gaskets were replaced like 20,000 miles ago. Valve cover gaskets were replaced 500 miles ago. Never had a problem with anything until I put the front into service position to put in new alternator and such.

stormscr3
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Bump?

spooledberries
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Stupid question did you take out the tank and see if it is cracked?

stormscr3
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
What tank are you speaking of the coolant extra resivoir tank? And if you're asking about that no I haven't. I have been losing a bit of coolant each month though ...

spooledberries
12-03-2009, 11:32 AM
What tank are you speaking of the coolant extra resivoir tank? And if you're asking about that no I haven't. I have been losing a bit of coolant each month though ...

Ya my buddy had that happen on his and it was dripping on the exhaust mani[confused]

stormscr3
12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Ah true that might be it. I'll check tomorrow and report back here. That kinda makes sense since it's right above the driver's side headers and that's where the smoke is coming from.