PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems, Help Please+Thanks

myb5quattro
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a 1997 Audi A4 1.8tqms. I have new brake rotors and pads, and the brakes were working well other than squeaking a few weeks ago. Then, the pedal feel become softer and softer, and now it feels as if there is no power brakes. As if my car is off and I'm trying to use the brakes. I have to push the pedal to nearly the floor, and the brakes are very sensitive to locking up on loose surfaces, and even on pavement if I stop kinda fast. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I kinda thought it was the brake booster. Does this make sense? Has anyone had these symptoms before and can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot AZ [up]

myb5quattro
12-01-2009, 07:37 AM
could this be a brake booster?

lotusgardener
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Master Cylinder, same thing happened on my old truck. Very scary the first time!

myb5quattro
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Haha yes it is scary the first time. I'm used to my brakes grabbing instantly and thought my brakes were out so I downshifted and pushed the brakes hard. So is this something that is cheap and easy to fix? Kinda broke over here haha. And lotus your name seems very familiar, were we in contact before? Thanks for the help guys

Armenian
12-01-2009, 09:17 AM
i would assume that its the master cylinder also from what i know. because when the brake booster fails the pedal should feel hard and more force is needed to stop the car. the master cylinder might be letting some sort of air in there or has a lead which is causing the pedal to go all the way down. take that in consideration im not 100% tho

99blueb5
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
do the easy thing and check you fluid level, pad life and rotors, and see if you find anything out of the ordinary