PDA

View Full Version : Vibration and sound (wheel bearing?)

audispeed
01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
One of the wheels on my car just started vibrating and making some noise yesterday. It isnt really noticable until above 30 mph and the car does it all the time above that whether or not it is in gear. I havent hit any potholes or anything, so I dont think it is a wheel out of balance. The sound increases with the speed of the car, but its intermittent, kind of like something caught in the tread. I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and through the gas pedal. Could it be a wheel bearing? That was my first thought, but when I bought the car, I had the front replaced because when I cornered it would make noise, this is a totally different sort of noise. Also, anyone know the cost of getting a wheel bearing replaced by the dealer, and also by an independent shop? Thanks.

godwine
01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I am not sure if this will help, Audi is recalling all 98+ B5 here locally in Canada to fix a problem with the lower control arm, apparently the bushing experience abnormal wear and tear, so they are replacing that.

A4_wantanabe
01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
maybe kinda stupid, but is there snow or ice stuck in there?

PDRaudi
01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
well,
i know what you're talking about and other people can relate as well, I hope someone gets to the bottom of this because I've gotten pretty annoyed when driving without music and hearing it go on and on and on and on and on

dominic

Brrman
01-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Could simply be tire noise. I was all set to go in and have a wheel bearing checked out, but when I changed to my winter wheels the sound totally went away.

drlandry00
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
how many miles does your car have.. I had the same problem at around 90000. It was my wheel bearing. I would check all other things before. even though the bearing isnt that much to replace.. good luck with it. mine sounded like a constant humm. and when i would take a corner hard on that side it would be very loud..

drlandry00
01-11-2005, 12:47 PM
and if you ever wanted to sell your wheels let me know!!!!

Wholsea
01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Aye, are your tires cupped (Looks like the tread is "bent") or out of balance.

Are they caked with snow/ice?

A bad wheel bearing doesn't cause a vibration, its more like a hum that goes away when you take weight off that corner (IE right rear tire making noise, making a right turn, the noise goes away)

Vibrations usually connected to a wheel being out of balance... Maybe you threw a weight?

audispeed
01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by drlandry00
and if you ever wanted to sell your wheels let me know!!!!

I may be getting rid of the car this spring, so if i do i will let you know.

wholsea, thats exactly what i was thinking regarding the humming. when i bought the car, it had a bad wheel bearing that i noticed on the test drive and had fixed. it was a humming, while this is more like something caught in the treads and everytime it hits the pavement, i get a sound and vibration. but so far i have found nothing. no snow or dirt on the rims, tires are in great shape - i already checked those. i have been on the winters for about a month now and it just happened all of a sudden. it shouldnt be out of balance, but maybee i did throw a weight, i will have to check that out. this one has me pretty stumped. I will probably have to take it in. thanks for the help guys.

IndieRockSteve
01-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I have a similar feeling/sound. only occurs in the rain (nothing in the snow so far). my local shop said until it gets bad not to worry, but that they think its the bushings too. someone recently posted a how-to or that they did it themselves and it was cheap 'n' easy.

Wholsea
01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Check the inside sidewall. Could also be one of the cords in the tire let loose and you now have a bubble in your sidewall.

I had this on my Jetta once, the tire was rubbing against the shock, caused an AWFUL vibration.

audispeed
01-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Wholsea
Check the inside sidewall. Could also be one of the cords in the tire let loose and you now have a bubble in your sidewall.

I had this on my Jetta once, the tire was rubbing against the shock, caused an AWFUL vibration.

ok, i will check that. thanks