PDA

View Full Version : Large bore MAF/chip 12v

Ldiaz12
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey guys I was recently on motodyne.com and I cAme across a large bore maf for around $450.00 an chip around that same price I was considering in buying only one of the two anyone have any idea which one would squeeze out more power out of my 12v and which one is better safer and if I am able to find these two for cheaper any where else.

Thanks

anmagro
11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
What? A MAF for $450.00? Are you kidding?....Rape. Even at that, i dont see how its going to get you any power.

walky_talky20
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
The larger MAF will only make your car run worse, unless you have a chip that calls for it (or get a tune to accommodate it). I don't think either will make much difference anyway.

Ldiaz12
12-01-2009, 04:06 AM
thanks gguys well i guess im still stuck with this slow A4. lol

stubbs
12-01-2009, 07:40 AM
thanks gguys well i guess im still stuck with this slow A4. lol

Motodyne doesn't have the best of reputations, I'd stay away. However, there is actually quite a bit you can do to your 12v to get more performance. There just aren't as many off-the-shelf parts. If you look over on AudiWorld, there is a forum dedicated to the 12v V6 engine, and you can find tons of info. Mance (username VAP) has especially helpful posts and has done tons of performance work on his 12v. There are guys on there pushing more than 230-250chp with their NA 12vs.

dowsett6
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I can vouch for Mance, I had all the stuff he made for the engine. And so you have a price point, I sold my bored out MAF for 250USD. I actually still have a bored and ported throttle body for it. Mance calls it the XTB, if you want to look it up.

If you interested in it or want some pictures PM me.

spaded
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I have also heard bad things about motodyne. I remember something about a SC kit that was a scam and never worked. get into the 12v forums at 12v.org. Its a great resource. Mance is serious about his pars but when I had my 12v i decided it just wasn't cost effective. You can probably find stuff cheep used now. Search for the Port/polish IM DIY.

Ldiaz12
12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I have also heard bad things about motodyne. I remember something about a SC kit that was a scam and never worked. get into the 12v forums at 12v.org. Its a great resource. Mance is serious about his pars but when I had my 12v i decided it just wasn't cost effective. You can probably find stuff cheep used now. Search for the Port/polish IM DIY.

What parts does this guy mance offer and where can I get them or any parts you have that will help my performance out any info you can find please help me out

dowsett6
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Port and polish the IM
Mance MAF
Mance velocity stack (for the maf)
Mance throttle body (he has a bunch of different versions)
Mance recovery sleeve
3in Silicone intake kit
NGK premium wires (8 or 9mm if you make your own) or you can go with Nology hotwires
Electric fan kit
Lightweight pullies (Mance makes or has made a lightweight powersteering one)

I have had almost all of his products and he does amazing work. When you are searching you will find that Mance products are also called VAP products. VAP is his company just for your info.

If you have more questions just ask.

And like I said above, I do still have his throttle body if your interested.. I have already sold the rest of the stuff.

stubbs
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
^^ good info. The problem for me was, like Spaded said, it just wasn't cost effective. I sadly sold my 12v anyway (should have kept it!), but while it's very possible, you're looking at an easy $1000 to squeeze another 40 hp out of that motor.

Mance does it because he loves his car and he can, not because it's cheap. I believe he's stopped making most of his parts, due to decreased demand, but you can still find some for sale used. He's got tons of old posts on the audiworld 12v forum, and most of the 12v guys are active in the new quattroworld forums.

Ldiaz12
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
yah I am interested in the tb and what's the IM that your talking about and how much power will the tb free up

Port and polish the IM
Mance MAF
Mance velocity stack (for the maf)
Mance throttle body (he has a bunch of different versions)
Mance recovery sleeve
3in Silicone intake kit
NGK premium wires (8 or 9mm if you make your own) or you can go with Nology hotwires
Electric fan kit
Lightweight pullies (Mance makes or has made a lightweight powersteering one)

I have had almost all of his products and he does amazing work. When you are searching you will find that Mance products are also called VAP products. VAP is his company just for your info.

If you have more questions just ask.

And like I said above, I do still have his throttle body if your interested.. I have already sold the rest of the stuff.

dowsett6
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
the IM is the Intake Manifold. There was a write up on Audiworld before they changed forum programs.
There was a guy named Ed with a website called edsaudi12v.com. After he wrecked or parted his car, he got rid of the website. As far as I know there isn't any more online write up with pictures for the IM porting process. But before he got rid of the site I HTTracked most of it.

Its about 7mb and has the Head workshop, IM workshop and some more information.

Check your PMs, you will have one from me shortly.

Ldiaz12
12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow so many things i wouldnt have imagined... By doing the bored TB do i need to do the IM mod aswell?

spaded
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow so many things i wouldnt have imagined... By doing the bored TB do i need to do the IM mod aswell?

You dont need to do anything. But if you want to mod a 12v it will be mostly unrewarding for the time and money but thats your choice. The 12v dose not gain power by many simple bolt on parts like a 1.8t. And most bolt on 12v performance parts are really board or ported stock parts. The 12v gets power by improving flow threw the motor. So that is the point of almost any 12v mod. Or any performance work on anything really.

Ldiaz12
12-02-2009, 03:52 AM
If i want to get rid of that Accordian tubbing that connected to my MAF where could a get a silicone one?

dowsett6
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
The easiest way to get rid of that accordian hose would be to get any 3in silicone hose, a 3in 45degree elbow and a 3in cobra elbow, and 2 3in couplers with clamps to attach them together.

dowsett6
12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is a pic of how mine was setup. Dont mind the accident. haha

http://quinteeurosports.com/az/3inhose.png

jbrentd
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Here's a shot of my DIY silicone intake. I had Mance's XTB, MAF, HVRS. Like others have stated, it's a lot of money and not a lot of gains, but the re-sale value is very good on his parts.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/jbrentd/IMG_1502.jpg

jbrentd
01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I also ran a custom exhaust (installed when the flex joints went south) with something like this along with the stock resonator and a Magnaflow 14816 muffler. All of these mods really improved the low end performance (according to my butt dyno).

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/jbrentd/exhaust1.jpg

Ldiaz12
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Dowsett was telling me about doing the 3in intake mod which i will do very soon.
As for the exhaust there's this shop around here called Lou's custom exhaust he said a fully custom Catback would cost me 260 what's your opinion will this have any gains compared to your custom exhaust with the MF 14816

I also ran a custom exhaust (installed when the flex joints went south) with something like this along with the stock resonator and a Magnaflow 14816 muffler. All of these mods really improved the low end performance (according to my butt dyno).

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/jbrentd/exhaust1.jpg

jbrentd
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Even the 14816 by itself improved the throttle response and sounded really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOcquaU4Wg

If you're going to do a custom exhaust, read this. I went with a single cat system that used the stock resonator.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2592952

dcampana
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
just throw a 50 shop nitrous on it. :) best bang for your buck for the 12v.

in all seriousness though, squeeze would be best and a 50 shot is minimal but... albiet nitrious can be costly, and best if drag racing....

my .02, and all its worth.

Ldiaz12
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Nitrous Isnt that bad to run On a stock a car and for the custom exhaust im definitely doing with what you did Jbrentd

SantorinRocks
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Poor B5'rs. Having space around the engine makes all the difference. I know I would have a few less months on my life if I had that sort of space problem. Engine bays are supposed to look more like this:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7554/21973230398137092502052.jpg

I am very interested in this IM porting you speak of. Any chance of a link or similar? Also would like one of those billet TB elbows if anyone has one, as I'm pretty sure thats the main point of restriction.

jbrentd
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
The elbows on my intake were just short radius 90* silicone.

Here's Mance's IM Workshop. You can still search "IM Workshop" on the AW 12v forum and get some good info.

http://12v.org/audi/imworkshop/

Have Fun!