PDA

View Full Version : B5 Vacuum Line Simplification DIY???

esee135
11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Is there a vacuum line simplification DIY for the B5? Would it be the same as the B6? Just did the timing belt and the I have ALOT of ratty looking vacuum lines. Wouldn't mind simplifying the system a bit and lose more than a few check valves.

BLK_A4
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
This should help. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2877619
I have done this to my engine bay. If you have any questions you can just PM me : )

VirginiaBeachA4
11-30-2009, 07:22 AM
This should help. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2877619
I have done this to my engine bay. If you have any questions you can just PM me : )

off topic but you do notice that "friends" is spelled wrong in your sig right?

biketsai
11-30-2009, 07:50 AM

LOL [>_<], damn I cracked up so hard reading that

Coopa
11-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Is there a permanent way to make the cel go away after this?

RockyMountainB5
11-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Is there a permanent way to make the cel go away after this?

Somone with tuning software can do a Hex-edit on your ECU's flash memory to remove (really set to 0) the blocks of data that pertain to checking your emissions systems. If you simply remove the checks for the SAI and blah blah, the ECU assumes they are working and moves on - no CEL. You can delete checks for the oxygen sensors too.
You can also pass emissions this way after doing a SAI/PCV delete - you just need a tuner to set "readiness" on your ECU.
There is someone on audizine who says "set readiness on ECU $50" in his sig, thats what you want.

thenofjboy
11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
IIRC his username is: k0mpresd - but he changed his signiture recently, just shoot him a PM to check

jsquillz22
11-30-2009, 10:37 AM
oooo burrn!!!

hey buddy how them coils?[up]

VirginiaBeachA4
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
oooo burrn!!!

hey buddy how them coils?[up]
I wasn't trying to offend him.

The coils are awesome. They don't feel as bouncy as everyone says they are.

jsquillz22
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I wasn't trying to offend him.

The coils are awesome. They don't feel as bouncy as everyone says they are.

i know the guy lives by me hes pretty cool.... his car is/was my twin! except he has brilliant black and i was rockin the ebony!

an im glad u liek em

discontained
12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
So I did this today. I got tired of replacing check valves and vacuum lines. [:D]

Do have a question. I took the EGR off, and welded the hole shut (on the EGR bracket, not the block. lol) I didnt feel like spending $30+ and waiting for a part [wrench]. I noticed my rear coolant flange is leaking coolant all over my transmission. Is there a way to fix it, or wouuld I need to buy a whole new flange? I know there cheap i think -/+ $10?, or is it just a bad o-ring. ( iknow thats off topic so let me get back on)

I read most of those links on the DIY but got confused. The Oil breather ontop of the oil filter hosing, that line T's with the valve cover and dumps to the atmosphere or does it need to be sealed? Also the DV valve can i leave the line that goes from the DV to the TIP to atmosphere? It sounds hella cool when i went to the store to get some parts. [up]

thenofjboy
12-02-2009, 05:44 AM
you might need to replace the flange bc the plastic tends to warp etc form all the heat but the O-ring may not be seated correctly or it just needs to be replaced. Check out the link below - i wouldnt use silicone like the one guy said
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328706

i replaced my flange & O-ring during the summer, sanded the back of the block & been good ever since

discontained
12-02-2009, 10:55 AM
you might need to replace the flange bc the plastic tends to warp etc form all the heat but the O-ring may not be seated correctly or it just needs to be replaced. Check out the link below - i wouldnt use silicone like the one guy said
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328706

i replaced my flange & O-ring during the summer, sanded the back of the block & been good ever since

ahh i must have missed that thread lol. Thanks man.. [up]

RockyMountainB5
12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Also the DV valve can i leave the line that goes from the DV to the TIP to atmosphere? It sounds hella cool when i went to the store to get some parts. [up]

I think this means you are venting the excess pressure in your lines to atmosphere instead or recirculating it - same issue as the BOV, if you dont recirculate at least some of the air the car wont run right - although i have no idea what tune you are running.

EuroDriven
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I think this means you are venting the excess pressure in your lines to atmosphere instead or recirculating it - same issue as the BOV, if you dont recirculate at least some of the air the car wont run right - although i have no idea what tune you are running.

Question about this....could you make your own splitter valve by just putting a T in going to TIP/atmosphere?

-John

discontained
12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont have TIP anymore :D!

The hose that runs from the DV to the TIP is still hanging there. I drove it arouund today and it seems like 5% faster, I am on GIAC tune. It sounds pretty cool ha, i gotta get a video of it.

wesleyfbm
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM
should be doing this soon...just gotta find time between school and work 7 days a week.

BLK_A4
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Oh haha god i feel like an idiot!! Thanks i will change that now. [:D]. But jsquillz when is the k04 going in? I wanna see how much more power you make.

jsquillz22
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh haha god i feel like an idiot!! Thanks i will change that now. [:D]. But jsquillz when is the k04 going in? I wanna see how much more power you make.

maybe if you pick up your phone!

thenofjboy
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I dont have TIP anymore :D!

The hose that runs from the DV to the TIP is still hanging there. I drove it arouund today and it seems like 5% faster, I am on GIAC tune. It sounds pretty cool ha, i gotta get a video of it.

any point in still keeping that hose then? maybe put a mini filter on the DV......i dunno haha

discontained
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
any point in still keeping that hose then? maybe put a mini filter on the DV......i dunno haha

lol thats what im trying to figure out... [>_<]

RockyMountainB5
12-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Well, i was trying to say that your ECU thinks that air is being recirculated - i have heard of people running BOVs at 100% (essentially what you are doing), and it causing all sorts of CELs and rough running. But if it works.....then more power to ya. I believe that the standard was to run the line coming from your DV back into the TIP, however.

Since you just did this i have a question.....Did you attach your intake manifold rear bung to your brake booster, and what affect did that have on the feel/strength of your brakes?

thenofjboy
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
i gots a 98 - so i don’t have much crap at the back of my manifold like you other guys do with the 01 models but either way that line that connects from the back of the manifold to the brake booster is very important - it shouldn’t be touched.

when i removed all that mess & check valves, i capped the port on the side of the intake manifold near the TB & the port on the bottom as well but i left the one on the back of the IM attached to the brake booster (thers a type of check valve in that hard line)

discontained
12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, i was trying to say that your ECU thinks that air is being recirculated - i have heard of people running BOVs at 100% (essentially what you are doing), and it causing all sorts of CELs and rough running. But if it works.....then more power to ya. I believe that the standard was to run the line coming from your DV back into the TIP, however.

Since you just did this i have a question.....Did you attach your intake manifold rear bung to your brake booster, and what affect did that have on the feel/strength of your brakes?

To answer in bold.. I didnt feel much difference, I just put new pads on the other day and they feel.. less spongy. However it could be my mind playing tricks on me!