PDA

View Full Version : tire tread for snow?

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 06:22 PM
i plan on taking my audi up to the snow a few times this winter and am not sure if i should bite the bullet on replacing my tires now or waiting till the last minute. Im kind of on a budget but if i need too i can afford it.

I was looking to replace my wheels with 18's and getting new tires at the same time which i thought was going to be in like 6-8 months. But looking at my tires (Michelin mxv4's all season 205/55/16) my rears are probably about 25% and my fronts are about 50%. Mostly balding around the edges and insides on the rears.

If i plan on taking a couple trips up to Tahoe should i be fine in the snow if i dont drive like an idiot? I took 1 trip up last year and from what i remember my car had good grip. But that was 10k miles ago and many san diego on ramps later...[:D]

i dont have pictures but i can take some.

JoshDub
11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
better safe then sorry man. That low id go with a case by case bases

witwer4444
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
get your hands on a used set of winters that will fit

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM
get your hands on a used set of winters that will fit

like a set with 50% tread life for cheap? how much am i looking to spend for some used winter tires with decent tread life?

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
ok i can find the same tires i have $120 shipped for a pair with around 60-70% tread life over getting brand new ones for $260 shipped.

They arent great for the snow... but these should be efficient having awd if its not a snowstorm correct?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/762/michelinenergymxv4plus2.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/michelinenergymxv4plus2.jpg/)

somebody5788
11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
ok i can find the same tires i have $120 shipped for a pair with around 60-70% tread life over getting brand new ones for $260 shipped.

They arent great for the snow... but these should be efficient having awd if its not a snowstorm correct?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/762/michelinenergymxv4plus2.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/michelinenergymxv4plus2.jpg/)

Way too much money for used tires...... I bought 6 235/40/18's for 125. 4 Dunlop Sport 9000's (250 a piece new) and 2 Fuzion ZRi's. None of them were fantastic but they were good for the money.

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Way too much money for used tires...... I bought 6 235/40/18's for 125. 4 Dunlop Sport 9000's (250 a piece new) and 2 Fuzion ZRi's. None of them were fantastic but they were good for the money.

damn, sounds like the guy u were getting those from stole a bunch of tires... btw, you live in indiana.

and i dont think that its a bad deal, im paying almost 1/3 the price per tire with more than half the life left compared to brand new ones...

$85 for 2 tires plus $35 shipping [>_<] claimed 60-70% tread life left

adr3naline fix
11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I own and am an advocate of snow tires, but I have also driven my quattro in complete blizzard with summer tires - not nearly as bad as you think/ I'm drunk.

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
I own and am an advocate of snow tires, but I have also driven my quattro in complete blizzard with summer tires - not nearly as bad as you think/ I'm drunk.

yes i am sure snow tires are awesome but me living in san diego i would just think it would be a waste of money if im only using them 5 days out of the year. Thats why i stick to all season.

im thinking replacing my worn down rears with my front tires now and then getting the used ones for up front with 60-70% left should be just fine for a while and at least back to/better from where i was at last winter with how my tire tread was (10k miles less on my current tires now)

I would be about 60%-70% in front and about 50% tread in rears.

I think this will hold me over perfect untill i get new wheels and tires next year when i can afford to do so.

Kronic Budz
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
its better in general with our cars to have the best grip in front compared to the back right?

ThatA4T
11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
thats what i have been told

andyrew
11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
its better in general with our cars to have the best grip in front compared to the back right?

Always the drive wheels, then when AWD its the turning wheels. So yes. Do you have any cheap tire shops near you? We have a little mexican used tire/ shop place near me, they'll sell you decent tread new tires for like 50 a pop. Max.

If your in a pinch just run your 50%'s on the front and bring some chains. Drive cautious, dont use your breaks. Good luck.

Take a pic of your fronts.

Kronic Budz
11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Always the drive wheels, then when AWD its the turning wheels. So yes. Do you have any cheap tire shops near you? We have a little mexican used tire/ shop place near me, they'll sell you decent tread new tires for like 50 a pop. Max.

If your in a pinch just run your 50%'s on the front and bring some chains. Drive cautious, dont use your breaks. Good luck.

maybe i should call around but damn $50 a tire is dirt cheap...Are those going to have any performance in the snow even when brand new?

im going to take a few pictures of my tires tomorrow or the next day and post them back up to see what u guys say...

I either wanna spend as little as possible and just get me through till i get new wheels/tires in 6-8 months. Or spend what i need to spend to get some wheels/tires to last me a long time. All reasons with a wear rating of 400+

Im going to have to spend like $800-$900 w/tires though since i want 18" rs4's [>_<]

somebody5788
11-30-2009, 05:10 AM

Kinda incorrect...

Its ALWAYS ALWAYS better to have your good tires in front. Your front does most of the stopping and thats more important then getting up and going.

And man... our shop practically gives used tires away if we have the size...

andyrew
11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Kinda incorrect...

Its ALWAYS ALWAYS better to have your good tires in front. Your front does most of the stopping and thats more important then getting up and going.

And man... our shop practically gives used tires away if we have the size...

Im talking about for in the snow, and specifically about chains. Where do you put chains on a RWD?

RockyMountainB5
11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Here in CO, they always tell you to get good REAR tires - because during a turn, that is the end most likely to kick out on you in snow/ice - so you need good grip in the back or you will be sliding off roads.
Try getting your tires rotated for cheap if you can, so you have some semi-decent edges on your fronts, and decent tread on the back...

somebody5788
11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Here in CO, they always tell you to get good REAR tires - because during a turn, that is the end most likely to kick out on you in snow/ice - so you need good grip in the back or you will be sliding off roads.
Try getting your tires rotated for cheap if you can, so you have some semi-decent edges on your fronts, and decent tread on the back...

Spinning out is not half as bad as sliding through a busy interesection....... Again.. good tires in the front.

Kronic Budz
11-30-2009, 11:16 AM
i would really have to agree with good front tires in almost every situation...

For one they are the turning wheels. Another reason is that our front wheels drive our cars mostly, and also a lot of the weight in our car is in front.

Shhmaudi
11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
i would really have to agree with good front tires in almost every situation...

For one they are the turning wheels. Another reason is that our front wheels drive our cars mostly, and also a lot of the weight in our car is in front.

I gota tire hook up I live in daygo Pm if your interested. I can get you some falken zx12s 225/45/17 Zrated tires for under 300 for 4