PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Misfire in 2nd cylinder!!!!

wer138
11-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a 99.5 A4Q 1.8T 5sp and as the title states I have a misfire in my 2nd cylinder. At least that is what the scan tool told me at advanced auto.

I was driving in town and stopped at a store. When I came out and started the engine it set into a bad idle and the engine light came on (surprise). I got on the road and it had no power and sounded like a subaru. When I got on the highway it went away and the light stopped flashing and stayed solid. Next day I started it and it started all over again.

Let it be known that I am new to these motors and any help is good help.

[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

mrk3nn3dy
11-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey dude most likely its a coil pack..

Seerlah
11-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Track down the reason:

1) Ignition coil
2) Spark Plugs
3) ICM
4) MAF
5) 02 sensor
6) Injector
7) Compression
8) MAF harness

Check the list going from 1-8, and you should eventually find the reason. (1)Start off by swapping the ignition coil from cylinder 2 and 3. If the misfire moves to culinder 3, then it is def the ignition coil. replace as necessary. (2)If it isn't the ignition coil, try swaping spark plugs from cylinder 2 and 3. Check the gaps, and if the misfire moves to cylinder 3, the it is the spark plug. Replace all 4. (3) The ignition Control Module is known for going bad on the AEB drive by cable engines. I would not know how to go about checking the ICM, but would be a major suspect. (4) If you have a faulty MAF, it would cause misfires. People have had success with CRC MAF cleaner. But if it needs replacement, then it would need replacement. (5) Having a bad primary 02 sensor would have the same effect as the MAF would. (6) Not very common, but the fuel injector can at times cause the issue. It can be clogged or simply faulty. Or maybe the connector on it is bad. Tp check this, you would do the same process as the ignition coil swap, exscept with the fuel injectors. Replace if it is necessary. (7) Having low compression isn't good. This would mean that there is an isue with your internals. More than likely the piston rings are no longer sealing properly. (8) When all else fails, check for something silly like the harness being faulty.

adr3naline fix
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
/thread

stunner247
11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
If you swap the cyl 2 coil and the misfire stays on cyl2 then it's most likely it's your ICM, they like to cause cyl 2 missfires when they go bad.

dangerous_dave
11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Step 1, go to dealership. Step 2, get all 4 coils replaced under coil pack recall 28f2. Step 3, drive home happy.

frameshift18
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Step 1, go to dealership. Step 2, get all 4 coils replaced under coil pack recall 28f2. Step 3, drive home happy.

I don't believe the recall applies to 99.5s

salz2135
11-29-2009, 08:42 PM

The letter I received from Audi regarding this issue states that the recall covers the replacement of coils that have gone bad. It makes no mention of replacing functioning coils as preventative maintenance.

Seerlah
11-29-2009, 08:52 PM
The recall only applies to the AWM and B6.

dangerous_dave
11-30-2009, 02:39 AM
If the recall doesn't apply to the car then the tsb for the rest of the cars that use coils will. They will replace all the coils unless the coils have an r or a couple other suffixes at the end. This recall also applies to other models, not just cars that have 1.8's. Pretty much every car that uses coil packs from 1997 on. And the recall specifically states that if a coil has the right updated coil in it already and it is misfiring, they will still replace it.

dangerous_dave
11-30-2009, 02:42 AM
The recall only applies to the AWM and B6.

Who told you this? Did you hear this from someone who heard it from a guy or do you work at Audi?

dangerous_dave
11-30-2009, 02:44 AM
I don't believe the recall applies to 99.5s

I belive you would be wrong.

jakeb5
11-30-2009, 05:19 AM
ignition coils always fail on b5 models, there was a recall. go to a dealer and get new ones.

RockyMountainB5
11-30-2009, 08:13 AM
You should have gotten a letter of recall in the mail already if your name is on the title of a recalled car. I did.

BlurredRings
11-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Who told you this? Did you hear this from someone who heard it from a guy or do you work at Audi?

Nah, this was under the recall letter that I received in the mail (and others that own an a4 with the engine code AWM). Im not too sure if any other A4 owners received the recall letter (with a different engine code, that is). However, I strongly believe that it's the coilpacks going bad. If you do have the recall letter, just go to the dealership, and they'll replace all 4 for you at no charge, just like me on Saturday[:D]

Seerlah
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM

The people on this forum board generally have much knowledge when it comes to this automobile. There even happens to be many members whom are Audi techs or work at the dealership doing something on this forum board. I myself did not even know about the recall untill it was cross posted from the B6 section. The only people in this section whom recieved a letter in the mail for a recall are AWM owners (I am an AWM owner and recieved a letter). The B6 guys knew about the recall before the letters were even sent out. And it only applied to the AWM and B6 owners (we basically have the same engines). We all use the same push down style ignition coils. Those are the ones which were recalled. The other modes, which you are claiming has the recall, has the bolt down style ignition coils that had no recall. And it isn't the ignition coils that tend to go bad on the AEB, it is the ICM.

frameshift18
11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I belive you would be wrong.

mmm no.

werewolves182
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Track down the reason:

1) Ignition coil
2) Spark Plugs
3) ICM
4) MAF
5) 02 sensor
6) Injector
7) Compression
8) MAF harness

Check the list going from 1-8, and you should eventually find the reason. (1)Start off by swapping the ignition coil from cylinder 2 and 3. If the misfire moves to culinder 3, then it is def the ignition coil. replace as necessary. (2)If it isn't the ignition coil, try swaping spark plugs from cylinder 2 and 3. Check the gaps, and if the misfire moves to cylinder 3, the it is the spark plug. Replace all 4. (3) The ignition Control Module is known for going bad on the AEB drive by cable engines. I would not know how to go about checking the ICM, but would be a major suspect. (4) If you have a faulty MAF, it would cause misfires. People have had success with CRC MAF cleaner. But if it needs replacement, then it would need replacement. (5) Having a bad primary 02 sensor would have the same effect as the MAF would. (6) Not very common, but the fuel injector can at times cause the issue. It can be clogged or simply faulty. Or maybe the connector on it is bad. Tp check this, you would do the same process as the ignition coil swap, exscept with the fuel injectors. Replace if it is necessary. (7) Having low compression isn't good. This would mean that there is an isue with your internals. More than likely the piston rings are no longer sealing properly. (8) When all else fails, check for something silly like the harness being faulty.

QFT. Most likely culprit for a cylinder 2 misfire on the AEB is the ICM (Ignition control Module). It located on top of your airbox and is connected by a 5-pin and 4-pin plug.

wer138
11-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks alot everyone for the help! I think (hope) it may be the ICM. does anyone know the best place to get one? [up]

Also, it seems after checking on audiusa, the recall is only for 2001 to 2004 models with push in coilpacks.

werewolves182
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Ignition/Ignition_Module/

Seerlah
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Ignition/Ignition_Module/

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=25080&cat=all[;)]

Edit: Be sure that the PN matches your current one.

wer138
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanx again folks. Has anyone tried the ebay ICM for $60? The rest are around 150-200.

Seerlah
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Just get the one in the link I posted for $70. It is an OEM Bosch unit. The things with these cars is you want to replace sensors with OEM units (Bosch, Hitachi, Beru, Valeo, etc). Replacement parts can be sought on ebay, but be sure that they are OEM units with brand names that I already listed. The only electrical upgrade I can see is in the coil packs itself which can cost a pretty penny (ie 034 high voltage units).

wer138
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I know I'm being a pest but, is there anything important I should do when installing the ICM? Like, am I supposed to put some electrical grease between this part and the mount on the intake?[confused]

frameshift18
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Not grease, but a thermal compound, to help the heat transfer to the heat sink thats mounted on top of the airbox.

wer138
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
does the thermal compound come with the ICM or do i need to pck some up?
Thanx

Scrampa
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
does the thermal compound come with the ICM or do i need to pck some up?
Thanx

You'll need to pick some up. Radioshack should have it.

spooledberries
12-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Track down the reason:

1) Ignition coil
2) Spark Plugs
3) ICM
4) MAF
5) 02 sensor
6) Injector
7) Compression
8) MAF harness

Good info man.[up]

Seerlah
12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
^I neglected to add to check the ignition coil harness.