PDA

View Full Version : signs of a bad HID ballast?

nyca4tqm
11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I just installed my DDM 55w 5k kit, the right light will come on 1 every three times I turn the switch on, I have checked the wiring 3 times. Does anyone know of signs of a bad ballast?

I had a cheap HID 35w 43k kit in that never gave me any issues......I wanted brighter, whiter light with a ballast I could hide in the headlight housing. This is what I get for not leaving well enough alone....

Thanks in advance.

salz2135
11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
If you are sure that the wiring is not the issue, switch the ballasts from left to right then right to left narrow the problem area. You can also do this with bulbs to see if the problem "moves" as you make your changes.

nyca4tqm
11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
GRRRRR I was hoping to not do that since I sealed the ballasts into the headlight housing and the silicone takes about 12 hrs to properly cure........Thanks for the idea.....I'll let you know what happens.

I did take it for a drive tonight and the light is noticeably brighter and whiter..........now to work out the gremlins....

sekx
11-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I just installed the DDM tuning 55w kit into my car, one of my headlights does the exact same thing. I had a spare bulb laying around and found out the bulb is acting up, so i would say just switch the bulbs and see what happens. i wonder if DDM replaces malfunctioning bulbs like that because its a pain having to figure out if the bulb is on or not.

Vrdady
11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm going to guess you need that kit to wire directly to the battery for additional start up power.

99blueb5
11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm going to guess you need that kit to wire directly to the battery for additional start up power.

no you should be able to use the stock wiring and everything, the kit is designed for this, check all your connections and make sure the car is running with around 14v, low voltage will often make it hard for the ballests to output the needed power

Seerlah
11-29-2009, 09:45 PM
I have a 55w kit (not DDM Tuning) and have no issues with mine. Not running a power feed from the battery and using the stock connector. As already mentioned, check for wiring, swap bulbs, then lastly the ballast. It has to be one of those reasons (well, should be anyways).

nyca4tqm
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a 55w kit (not DDM Tuning) and have no issues with mine. Not running a power feed from the battery and using the stock connector. As already mentioned, check for wiring, swap bulbs, then lastly the ballast. It has to be one of those reasons (well, should be anyways).

I used the factory wiring and only changedthe connectors from the original harness that goes to the hid bulb harness. Basically I put cut the square double female plug off and put individual female plugs on the wires so they fit into the DDM plug. I will try the swapping of ballasts and bulbs only becauseI have no issues with the left side, only the right. If it were a voltage it would be both sides right?

I really dont want to have to open up that housing again to swap ballasts.....grrrrrrr.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions..will update once I do the swap...

Seerlah
11-30-2009, 05:37 AM
You should not have needed to cut off any wiring at all. Maybe you are losing voltage somehwere. The HID kits are really plug and play. The only modification that should be needed is a hole to get the HID bulbs into the headlight housing. After that, it is literally plug and play.

nyca4tqm
11-30-2009, 07:05 AM
You should not have needed to cut off any wiring at all. Maybe you are losing voltage somehwere. The HID kits are really plug and play. The only modification that should be needed is a hole to get the HID bulbs into the headlight housing. After that, it is literally plug and play.

I tried to get the square plug on the right to fit into the power plug on the DDM kit but it would not hence the removal and addition of female plugs. (this pic is just to show the plug, that is the old 2 piece headlight housing)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/nyca4tq/DSC00037.jpg

I opted not to drill the housing and just make a plug for an existing hole.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/nyca4tq/DSC00060.jpg

Gonna tinker some more.....stay tuned...

McGovs2.7TB5
11-30-2009, 07:15 AM
i wonder if DDM replaces malfunctioning bulbs like that because its a pain having to figure out if the bulb is on or not.

DDM does replace bad bulbs. I had one burn out after about 4 months of use and they sent a replacement set of bulbs under their warranty.