PDA

View Full Version : Manual Auto Code WTF?

e.van
01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Okay I know I posted my CEL came on Saturday. I took it to work today and ran it through the OBD reader.

Came back with the following code.

ECT / Performe Sensor

My boss told me this is a sensor on automatic transmissions [confused] , and even if it weren't, my tranny still works perfectly fine.

ModifiedA4
01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by e.van
Okay I know I posted my CEL came on Saturday. I took it to work today and ran it through the OBD reader.

Came back with the following code.

ECT / Performe Sensor

My boss told me this is a sensor on automatic transmissions [confused] , and even if it weren't, my tranny still works perfectly fine.

Umm what was the numeric code it gave?

and the "ECT" ususally means "engine coolant temperature" sensor.

e.van
01-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't remember the number. I cleared it and it stayed off, so it's no longer a problem.

no1hustller
01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't remember the number. I cleared it and it stayed off, so it's no longer a problem.

I'm guessing that the code was probably P0116 which is for engine coolant tempurature circuit range or performance. Your boss is a moron. Take off the coolant temp sensor and clean it off. Sometimes that can take care of the problem for a while. When that part goes bad however, it will leave your car sitting with you not being able to start it.

You should never delete a code until the problem is fixed. It is still a problem.

Any other questions, come here first, not to your boss.

;)

e.van
01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
It was that code I think, where is the coolant temp. sensor located / what shape does it have? BTW thanks for the info.

ModifiedA4
01-10-2005, 12:01 PM
It was that code I think, where is the coolant temp. sensor located / what shape does it have? BTW thanks for the info.

here:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng47.shtml

e.van
01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks a kagillion! Temp hasn't really been erratic between cold and normal, but it usually doesn't heat up to normal unless it's at idle.. Guess this'll fix the problem.