PDA

View Full Version : FWD to buy or not

bengal
11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, I'm looking at a pretty good deal on a 97 A4 with what I believe to be minor engine problems, hence the low price of $1.600.
Only problem is that its FWD. Where this car going to be mine to drive I would pass on it. It would be my wifes to drive. so, all it has to do is get along reasonbly well on snow, ice ect.
Am I hoping for to much ? never driven a FWD audi before and am not all that familiar with any FWD cars. Any advice??

Seerlah
11-27-2009, 06:46 PM
If you want the Audi to be good in the snow, then you would want the Quattro. That is the signature stamp of owning an Audi. And no vehicle is good on ice, unless it had something like metal spiked tires.

lbs4
11-27-2009, 06:53 PM
i heard another user say "having an audi without quattro is like having a woman with no vagina" haha. its true.

bengal
11-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I know theres nothing like a Quattro in the snow, just point and go. Just trying to get an idea of how the FWD does, they have to be way better then RWD Also wondering if they are prone to torque steer?

ThatA4T
11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
i heard another user say "having an audi without quattro is like having a woman with no vagina" haha. its true.

well put! id never buy a fwd audi it defeats the purpose haha[down]

mholme
11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
There's nothing wrong with a fwd A4, it will be fine in light snow, obviously quattro would be better. I'd keep shopping for a quattro though. They aren't expensive anymore. Unless of course the price of that one really is one dollar and sixty cents, then yeah, go for it.

danphines
11-27-2009, 07:10 PM
quattro blows in the snow i had new tires last winter in my FWD and well lets just say thats the main reason i sold it to get my current quattro

Amorphic
11-27-2009, 07:33 PM
quattro is definitely worth it for the winter. Im running nokian hakka 5's with quattro and with heavy snowfalls and ice it is basically unstoppable.

Coopa
11-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I had a front wheel drive oldsmobile intrigue with a 3800 v6. FWD will be alot better than any rwd because the weight of the engine is over the wheels trying to grab traction. Quattro is obviously better (I havn't experienced it just yet, I'm excited) Shop around for a quattro, and then resort to fwd if you can't find anything.

Seerlah
11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
^The main reason fwd is better than rwd in the snow is because the car is being pulled, rather than pushed.

qttroking
11-27-2009, 08:21 PM

x12

terraflata
11-28-2009, 01:20 AM
x12

Nothing truer than the old vagina to quattro comparison. Quattro for the win. if your not your wasting you money. Might as well buy a FWD Evo! Useless.

audiluxary
11-28-2009, 04:30 AM
[o_o]Wow I have a frontrak... I guess I haven't had a Vagina in awhile then[>_<]

Kronic Budz
11-28-2009, 04:43 AM
its fucked up to make fun of the guys for not having quattro... thats like making fun of the guys around with auto's.

But when i was looking to purchase an audi i demanded it to be quattro, they arent as rare i wouldnt think as fwd and they just perform so much better on snow/dry. More reliable all around for rain ect.

I would say the best feature of my car by far is the AWD.[hail]

wait a little longer and i bet you will come across a quattro, youll be glad u waited trust me.[:D]

TighTT
11-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Audi without Quattro = non-alcoholic beer.

lowandslow4now
11-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Thats sig worthy if you don't mind. But to the OP if it was in great shop for a good price I would say go for it but its not so keep looking and you will find something with AWD.

burner799
11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Dude get an srt-4 dude!!! Yeaa

salz2135
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
People often overlook the fact that a FWD audi will require less money to maintain. Since the car would be for your wife and and occasional driving in the snow, a Frontrak would be perfectly reasonable. Would it be ideal? No. But practical? Sure.

PoormansA4
11-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I personally wouldn't buy one that is not quattro but the car is going to perform like any other non awd drive car in the snow and rain, just have to take it easy, sometimes people tend to make it sound like if you have quattro you cant crash the car or lose control... it does help quite a bit and is noticeable.. I would suggest you get a quattro but if you decide not to don't let anyone call blasphemy on you

yesipuff
11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
My girlfriend has a FWD 97 A4 turbo. We live in Chicago, and it does fine in the snow. It's got a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, with H&R coilovers and all new arms/links. Is your wife a good driver? That would be my decision maker. Oh yea, and my girl does have a vagina too[>_>]

badseed
11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
My first A4 was a 98 laser red front trak 1.8t 5 speed. That car got totaled and I replaced it with a santorin 98 1.8 tqm. The difference in handling is huge, the quattro car is much more fun to drive and can be pushed much harder. That being said, front trak is awesome as far as front wheel drive goes. It was worlds different than a Honda or GTI or whatever. The equal length axles make it immune to torque steer, and with snow tires, it is a very capable winter car. I had blizzaks on mine and it was great, though not as good as the quattro. My advice would be to hold out for the quattro, but the front trak cars are still very good cars.

bandit
11-28-2009, 04:11 PM
FWD Audi = expensive VW

BlackLock_A4
11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Nooooo.

What are you thinking???

spooledberries
11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
For the price and being your wifes car its not that bad. BUT being in MI(so am I) it wont do that great in the winter.

jakeb5
11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
why would you buy an audi if its not a quattro?

mholme
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
why would you buy an audi if its not a quattro?

Probably for the same reasons Audi makes non quattro models. Not everyone needs or wants quattro. Audi spends millions marketing quattro these days, but there was a time when they spent equal amounts marketing non quattro models.

Vrdady
11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
In my signature

BrokeDown[20V]
11-29-2009, 08:12 AM
I like my FWD...

But If you were to drive in alot of snow, It would make sense to wait for something AWD, regardless if its a audi or not.

bengal
11-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, I have decided that I'm not going to buy the car.
Main reason is that there is to great a likely hood that I'll wind up putting too much money into it.
It needs brakes, the AC and ABS are unknowns.
Timming belt is said to have skipped during a cold start.
It cranks over with an uneven sound but no metal noises. It's just to big a gamble,it it was a Quattro I might take the chance...
Now I'm looking at a totalled 95.5 S6 ( needs most of the cosmetic front end ) for 2 Grand.
It has.
eicbach
bilstiens
new tires
chip
new bakes
Are these cars Quattro or an earlier design??
Thanks for all the feedback Bengal

mholme
11-29-2009, 02:21 PM
95.5 S6 is quattro. All S models are quattro. That's a pretty bulletproof engine and desirable Audi to enthusiasts. Salvage title would bother me though if it's going to be a pain to title/register.

dangerous_dave
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
If it can be fixed up cheap, buy it. There were cars before all wheel drive ya know

JohnBanks
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I think to own a Audi you need quattro. If you are going to spend the time messing with the damn car it might as well have the Audi signature thing.

That being said the Fwd will be quicker off the line and be able to handle more launches (Quattro bogs down the motor a bit) and all out stupidity without changing all the damn mounts on the tranny and motor and the extra axles, etc etc. If you want a cheap quick reliable front wheel drive car get some Sr20de Motored Nissan SE-R from 91-98 and save coin.

audiluxary
11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Wow this thread went on alot longer than I expected. If you can get an Audi for cheap and it's front trak then go for it. I have owned 3 different A6's while living on the east coast in the snow and I realy can't say that I ever came into a situation that I said, "Damn I am glad I have Quattro!" I have owned my A4 now for almost 5 years and it was on the west coast, no snow because I never went into the mountains with it, I have an SUV for that. This will be my first winter with this car and it's front trak and I am not worried. There are so many other fwd vehicles out their that have know problem in the winter. The only thing I can say about front trak that I noticed was when I went K04 Hammer and you step on the gas you get a little wheel spin from the torque and wheel pull a little off the start until it catches then your fine. I don't race my car or autocross so it works for me.
-Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.[>_<]

jayraudi9
11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
i bought a frontrak back in 06' before i knew anything about audi's. still got it.

calvin1.8t
11-30-2009, 06:23 AM
an audi without quattro is a girl with one tit.

GarbatyA4
11-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Unless you live in FLA, buy quattro

oneohone
11-30-2009, 11:53 AM
^^or Texas lol

GQ//S4
11-30-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm just gonna quote myself and save the time retyping...

Who buys a FWD Audi in the NW anyways.... or period? Thats like having a gf who has no vag, sure she looks like every other girl, but she's completely useless when you really need her!

Mutley
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow this thread went on alot longer than I expected. If you can get an Audi for cheap and it's front trak then go for it. I have owned 3 different A6's while living on the east coast in the snow and I realy can't say that I ever came into a situation that I said, "Damn I am glad I have Quattro!" I have owned my A4 now for almost 5 years and it was on the west coast, no snow because I never went into the mountains with it, I have an SUV for that. This will be my first winter with this car and it's front trak and I am not worried. There are so many other fwd vehicles out their that have know problem in the winter. The only thing I can say about front trak that I noticed was when I went K04 Hammer and you step on the gas you get a little wheel spin from the torque and wheel pull a little off the start until it catches then your fine. I don't race my car or autocross so it works for me.
-Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.[>_<]

Exactly, I paid 500$ for a mint condition 2000 A4 2.8 MT FWD. I've owned so many AWD in the pass, I surely know what I will be missing, but in the end, you REALLY need AWD like 10-15 times per winter. I'm in Quebec and I know what I'm talking about. I just got really good winter tire for it so I'm hoping that this coupled with ASR will get me out of 99% of the winter situation. And I know it's going to wheel spin on the next storm, but for all the other day , I will enjoy having less drivetrain loss, less weight and a more enjoyable highway feeling :)

Gaberossi
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm in FLA...got the car for a steal from a family friend...It is FWD....I love it....wish i had quattro but i got a FWD(not my choice) i said shit i went from a 95 toyota to this, fuck yea!
with all that said...there is nothing wrong with a FWD car

NeedingAnAudi
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't get why all these guys hate on fwd.... I drove a fwd minivan (yes! a damn minivan!!) for my first 2 1/2 years of having my license. 16 to 18, in Chicago and the only problem I ever had was acting stupid and ripping off the side mirror. And we all know that the teenage new drivers age is the worst!

In the end the van never got stuck. Ever. OH! And I had bald tires every winter, couple months after I got new tires in the middle of summer the damn thing spins a crankshaft bearing, enter my B5 [up]

Fwd isn't useless, the only real problem is that transverse mounted engines are a bitch to work on, which Audi is not, so that doesn't matter. Fwd would be fine and a great way to get into an Audi for cheaper

OP I know your not looking at the fronttrak anymore but I just wanted to put this out there.