PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? OR mounts to blame??

Shhmaudi
11-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Herro,
When I am going thru 1st 2nd 3rd gears on my 98 stg 3 a4 I get this clunking noise from the rear end.. What would that be? only does it in those gears tho? Sometimes when driving it hard getting into second can be tricky when shifting fast...? Is that normal? This is my first awd audi.

When I first start my car rev it and take off in 1st I get this chattering noise.. I am thinking it is the flywheel perhaps? It is a clutch masters 13lbs.. It sounds like its coming from the turbo area. prease help[confused]

Also I have the 034 street density mounts[drive]

andyrew
11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
What trani mounts do you have?
It could be the mounts on your rear diff. OR it could be your carrier bearing (Which it was for my car). Their is a membrane that holds up the bearing on the center of the driveshaft that wears after use, Replacing it is a PITA but doable.

Chatter. Is it like a flywheel chatter or your engine chattering away?

Shhmaudi
11-25-2009, 11:09 PM
What trani mounts do you have?
It could be the mounts on your rear diff. OR it could be your carrier bearing (Which it was for my car). Their is a membrane that holds up the bearing on the center of the driveshaft that wears after use, Replacing it is a PITA but doable.

Chatter. Is it like a flywheel chatter or your engine chattering away?

I have no idea what the difference is..?? Calling out the flywheel wasa guess for me..

I think the mounts on the rear diff are stockers..

andyrew
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Most likely. Give them a pry with a pry bar. If they feel soft, you could replace them or get some polyurethane from McMaster car and fill the voids.

For the chatter, It is a more of a metal sound or a clunking sound? Metal would mean flywheel, clunking would mean loose or bad motor/trani mounts.

Shhmaudi
11-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Most likely. Give them a pry with a pry bar. If they feel soft, you could replace them or get some polyurethane from McMaster car and fill the voids.

For the chatter, It is a more of a metal sound or a clunking sound? Metal would mean flywheel, clunking would mean loose or bad motor/trani mounts.

Its more of a metal sound.. It only happens when i first start my car and then it goes away.. Its a weird noise sounds like it is loose or something.

As for the drive train it only does the thud when I am going thru 1st to 3rd then after that its not really apparent.N sometimes if I clutch out slowly I dont get that thud clunk noise..

thanks for the help so far. Where did you get the mcmasters? and how much do they cost?

Seerlah
11-26-2009, 03:54 AM
I am placing my money on the rear diff carrier mount bushings. The mount itself might actually have a small fracture in it. I would inspect the rear diff carrier mount. It is on the rear of the deff with the exhaust hanger attached to it. It will have 2 bushings on it, if worn may be causing the clunking noise. If it is just the bushings, replace them with Stern units for $50. Press old ones out with a press, and the new ones can be placed in by hand.

andyrew
11-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Its more of a metal sound.. It only happens when i first start my car and then it goes away.. Its a weird noise sounds like it is loose or something.

As for the drive train it only does the thud when I am going thru 1st to 3rd then after that its not really apparent.N sometimes if I clutch out slowly I dont get that thud clunk noise..

thanks for the help so far. Where did you get the mcmasters? and how much do they cost?

Do a google search for trani mount polyurethane. Its also been posted here.

The metal sound in first is your flywheel and clutch chatter, I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets worse.

I would agree with Sheerla, it sound like your rear diff carrier mounts, I would urithane them, and do the "Power ring" from one of the suppliers (do a forum search).

I would do those first and if they dont do it, look at your driveshaft carrier bearing.

Good luck!

Shhmaudi
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Do a google search for trani mount polyurethane. Its also been posted here.

The metal sound in first is your flywheel and clutch chatter, I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets worse.

I would agree with Sheerla, it sound like your rear diff carrier mounts, I would urithane them, and do the "Power ring" from one of the suppliers (do a forum search).

I would do those first and if they dont do it, look at your driveshaft carrier bearing.

Good luck!
Sounds good you guys have been alot of help once again[up]

flynnr
12-15-2009, 01:16 PM
i would honestly guess its just chatter.... a 13 lb fly is pretty light for an awd car... is it aluminum or steel? that makes a big difference too...

dcampana
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah i have the CM clutch with the 16 lbs steel and i get a little chatter. at 13 lbs, the chatter would be very audible i think....

good luck and keep us updated on the fix

RockyMountainB5
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Sorry to thread jack for a minute - but i have a similar setup:
southbend stg III clutch
Spec 16lb LWFW
034 street density mounts

I find it basically impossible to take off from a dead stop smoothly - its just jerky and shit - is that because of the stiffer tranny mounts?
And is there any way to adjust our clutch travel so that its not like a 12inch travel to engage the stupid clutch?
Just annoyed that my new setup isnt smoother....

andyrew
12-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry to thread jack for a minute - but i have a similar setup:
southbend stg III clutch
Spec 16lb LWFW
034 street density mounts

I find it basically impossible to take off from a dead stop smoothly - its just jerky and shit - is that because of the stiffer tranny mounts?
And is there any way to adjust our clutch travel so that its not like a 12inch travel to engage the stupid clutch?
Just annoyed that my new setup isnt smoother....

Nope thats you.

Im stage 4, same FW, Track density mounts, DTS, ect. How long have you been running it? It takes about 500 miles for the springs to loosen up a little and for you to get used to how springy the clutch is. After full break in it should feel almost like a stock clutch if its your DD. If you switch between cars often then it most likely will always feel stiff.

RockyMountainB5
12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Only been running it for less than 500 miles.
The clutch doesnt really feel that strong tho? This is a stg III SB.
My pedal is quite soft - like softer than it was when i had the stock clutch and FW.
I've been wondering if this is the way its all supposed to feel.

andyrew
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I dont have experience with the STG 3 kit, but I hear it feels about the same as stock. The stage 4 is the one with the stiffer pressure plate.

Do you slip the clutch? With stiffer clutches, you basically have to slip the clutch for normal driving. Get it 1/2 way engaged and let it catch up then release all the way. Takes about 1-2 seconds.

Maybe take a video of it? Get a passanger, wear shorts (or something non loose fitting) so we can see your foot action and have them take a wide angle vid of the tach and your foot.

andyrew
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Check out the first 1 sec in my vid in my sig. It shows me pulling from a stop.