PDA

View Full Version : Moaning front left wheel

Altech75
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM
My front left wheel is making this moaning noise randomly while I drive (kinda like a beluga whale would probably sound) . I'm not sure if it's actually the wheel but it's coming from that general area. It's very disconcerting to say the very least.

stevejones19
11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
99% sure its a wheel bearing. You said it's the left front, so try staying up to a decent speed where you can hear the moaning, and then take a right turn. If the sound goes away, that's your culprit

Seerlah
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Wheel bearing. Welcome to the club.

To confirm, jack up that corner and shake the wheel. If there is play, it is the wheel bearing.

orttauq
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
99% sure its a wheel bearing. You said it's the left front, so try staying up to a decent speed where you can hear the moaning, and then take a right turn. If the sound goes away, that's your culprit

That won't give you an absolute indication. I've come across plenty of wheel bearings that make the most noise when you're taking weight off the axle.

But I'm gonna go with all of the others and say it's definitely a wheel bearing.

eurobreed124
11-26-2009, 06:25 PM
it probably needs to be relubed since its winter and shit i just relubed mine and it went away

N8Cas
11-27-2009, 07:21 AM
My a4 is doing the same thing, but it's not a constant sound. It usually happens at higher speeds or when I first start up (first mile or so, especially in the cold). Can I just leave it alone and deal with the sound? or is this gonna get dangerous or cause damage to other parts

SpeedTheory
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
it probably needs to be relubed since its winter and shit i just relubed mine and it went away

How would I go about relubing mine, and with what exactly? I have the same problem on my B5.

discontained
11-27-2009, 11:06 AM
You cant relube the wheel bearings or rebuild them. They are sealed bearings. Unless im wrong. You would have to get a new one, ECS tuning has them for around 50 bucks.. which if you go to the dealer would most likely be 120+ i got a quote for 150.

The moaning, lets investiage that. Is the sterring wheel have any feedback thats abnormal? Does the car shake, skip?

If the driving is ok, and you do the wheel test (jack the car up and grab the whee @ 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and move it back and forth. If there is play its 1 of 2 things, wheel bearing or control arms. If there is no play than IT COULD be your DV (diverter valve) going bad. Mine was moaning like you describe when I built boost, but not in vacuum.

Hope that helps.

SpeedTheory
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Mine moans at anything above 40mph, and only happens when traveling straight or turning to the left (which makes it worse). When turning to the right, the sound goes away. So I'm guessing that it's probably one of my right bearings, since turning right unloads the right side, stopping the noise?

B5A4Kevin
11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
usually the horizontal shaking of the tire indicates inner or outer tierods. try shaking it vertically (12 & 6) o clock, or if you have access to jack stands/lift and can get the wheels off the ground, rotate the tire/wheel assembly with your hand on the spring. the faulty bearing will transmit vibration throughout the suspension, most notable in the spring coils. compare it to the other side if you arent sure. and also, whatever direction you turn to make the noise go away, its usually the bearing on the opposite side.

you could try spraying some wd40 behind the hub on the bearing to "re-lube" it, but this would only be a very temporary solution and it will need to be replaced sooner than later. once the bearing siezes, it can snap an axle or hub assembly and cause severe damage.

Altech75
11-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I jacked my car up and the front wheels are perfectly fine, however both of the back ones sound like they're rubbing metal on metal. The sound is definitely coming from the wheel, the center part actually. So it's either the bearings or the brakes even.

I'll find out more when I replace my pads and bleed my brakes. For now I'm just glad other people have gotten answers to their problems.

spooledberries
11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I am going with the wheel bearing also

Inval1d
11-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I am going with the wheel bearing also

+1 Ask me how I know :)

eurobreed124
12-06-2009, 10:36 PM
How would I go about relubing mine, and with what exactly? I have the same problem on my B5.

we40 and some grease/lube grease it good and it should go away mine did

x Wild Bill x
12-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Just curious around how many miles are people seeing before wheel bearing failure?

Thanks,
Bill

discontained
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Just curious around how many miles are people seeing before wheel bearing failure?

Thanks,
Bill

im at 168,345 miles before Mine finally went, but my CV axle went at the same time.. I was gonna do my whole front end at 150,000 but i got lazy, then the Audi showed me not to wait haha.