PDA

View Full Version : after fueling up... gas smell?

'98-B5
11-24-2009, 08:18 AM
i don't know if this issue of mine is normal or abnormal.. but whenever i fuel up my car.. and i garage it.. the next time i go into my garage--the air is filled with this gas smell. there's no gas smell inside of my car, but my garage just reeks of this gasoline... does anyone else have this problem?

mrk3nn3dy
11-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I have that problem as well, I am no expert but I am going to change my fuel filter as well as take a peek at my fuel pump gasket. There is a diy somewhere out there for the fuel filter. Good luck!

clconversion
11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

Audiworld the king of DIY haha but make sure when replacing this to get the banjo bolts as well for the cost of them not worth doing the job twice we have seen them get pretty corroded

'98-B5
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
is it going to be a big problem if i don't treat it anytime soon?

calvin1.8t
11-24-2009, 04:03 PM
fuel leak possibly? check the ground for gas marks.

mholme
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng81.shtml

'98-B5
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
fuel leak possibly? check the ground for gas marks.

checked.. don't see any liquid spills on the floor.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng81.shtml

when it says to start the car and let it run out of gas.. does it mean the gas flowing? or... the tank? haha.

mholme
11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
when it says to start the car and let it run out of gas.. does it mean the gas flowing? or... the tank? haha.

I think the general idea is to relieve some fuel pressure, but don't count on not taking a shot in the face anyway.

'98-B5
11-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I think the general idea is to relieve some fuel pressure, but don't count on not taking a shot in the face anyway.

i guess i'll try this out when i'm almost near empty.

dangerous_dave
11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
i guess i'll try this out when i'm almost near empty.

If you have less than a half of a tank, you will be fine. Any more than that then you risk spilling fuel out of the opening for the fuel pump. If you want to avoid gas spraying out of the lines when you disconnect them from the sending unit, all you have to do is start the car and pull the fuse for the pump. The car will stall from fuel starvation and will releave pressure in the lines. It's usually fuse 28 for most Audi models but you should check the fuse panel door to make sure. When you change the seal, make sure there is no fuel around the edge where it goes. If you get the gasket wet before you put it in place, it will expand because rubber and petroleum don't mix well. Make sure the opening is totally dry or you will ruin the seal.

'98-B5
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
If you have less than a half of a tank, you will be fine. Any more than that then you risk spilling fuel out of the opening for the fuel pump. If you want to avoid gas spraying out of the lines when you disconnect them from the sending unit, all you have to do is start the car and pull the fuse for the pump. The car will stall from fuel starvation and will releave pressure in the lines. It's usually fuse 28 for most Audi models but you should check the fuse panel door to make sure. When you change the seal, make sure there is no fuel around the edge where it goes. If you get the gasket wet before you put it in place, it will expand because rubber and petroleum don't mix well. Make sure the opening is totally dry or you will ruin the seal.

noted. thanks. i guess ill wait till half tank haha. just had it filled up yesterday