PDA

View Full Version : 12v lifter noise... What are my options?

Kronic Budz
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Car is a 1997 Audi a4 2.8 quattro manual. 135k miles well maintained to this point... Good compression all cylinders around 170 and 1 @ 160.Currently running 5w40 euro blend

When the engine is cold I get a loud ticking that continues with engine speed when accelerating hard past 2800 rpm's and ends around 3500 rpm's. Mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears.

In first gear my car just sounds kind of dirty and my engine just doesn't sound very clean almost like there is something loose like a heatshield, but doesn't make the ticking noise in 1st. If I drive next to a wall or in a garage the crusty sound my engine makes annoys the hell out of me I have no idea what it is...

The ticking sound goes almost away completely when the car is fully warmed up. It is not an exhaust leak but was told it's my lifters... Which ones idk but I need to fix this problem. I can't live with it for how much longer I plan on keeping the car, I feel it hinders my engines life, gas milage and ect.

Now my question... What r my options for fixing this problem? I'm planning on getting 200k out of the engine and want to fix it the right way... I really do love my car even for how slow it might be...[:D]

I know most on here have 1.8t's but any help is appreciated.

walky_talky20
11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I guess I'd check oil pressure first. And maybe try some 10w-40 or some Lucas stabilizer at the next oil change, although people have different opinions on that stuff.

Kronic Budz
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
The 10w40 might possibly help being thicker at cold temps, but i feel that's kind of just a bandaid solution. Iv also heard mixed things about oil stabalizers.

walky_talky20
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
5w is pretty thin. As engines age the tolerances grow and oil pressure drops. After a while you can't get away with the thinner stuff anymore. If 10w-40 fixes it I'd call it done at that.

collins
11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
try a seafoam treatment

Kronic Budz
11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
My car has been burning a good bit of oil between changes. Around a quart. I'm thinking maybe trying the seafoam in the oil and then trying some 10w40 in there...

Kronic Budz
11-24-2009, 12:47 AM
bump

dangerous_dave
11-24-2009, 03:21 AM
First, make sure it's not your waterpump pulley making noise. Alot of people think it's lifter tick when it's really a loud pulley. Another thing to look at is the pressure relief valves in the heads. They regulate how much oil goes back into the crank case. The valves get loose and oil will drain from the heads and that could give you the sound of what you think is lifter tick. There are 2 valves in the heads and 2 under the cover under the intake manifold. Rule those out first before you think about lifter tick.

somebody5788
11-24-2009, 06:25 AM
First, make sure it's not your waterpump pulley making noise. Alot of people think it's lifter tick when it's really a loud pulley. Another thing to look at is the pressure relief valves in the heads. They regulate how much oil goes back into the crank case. The valves get loose and oil will drain from the heads and that could give you the sound of what you think is lifter tick. There are 2 valves in the heads and 2 under the cover under the intake manifold. Rule those out first before you think about lifter tick.

I once had a bolt loose on my power steering pully and was beginning to think I had a knocking rod.... it was that loud!

Like others have said check oil pressure. Then it would not hurt to seafoam! It can only help. Try that pull the valve covers and just inspect for sludge. If the pressure is low and you seafoam and its still low consider doing a pump and screen like the 1.8's do all the time hehe. If that does nothing then 10w30 will not hurt your engine. I would run it anyways. I would in my car but turns out it sounds just like every other 2.8 at idle so nothing to worry about so I am just running 5w30 Castrol Edge.

D's Avant
11-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I guess I'd check oil pressure first. And maybe try some 10w-40 or some Lucas stabilizer at the next oil change, although people have different opinions on that stuff.

X2 on the Lucas Oil Stablizer, really worked to quiet my 1.8 down.

Kronic Budz
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM

just had full timing belt kit done so its not that. I guess maybe ill have the mechanic check it out under the intake mani and heads

dangerous_dave
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
just had full timing belt kit done so its not that. I guess maybe ill have the mechanic check it out under the intake mani and heads

There was a tech bulletin on this issue a few years back about lifter noise and these valves. I cant find it now though. The pressure valve in each head is real easy to get to. It just involves taking the valve covers off but the 2 under the intake manifold are much harder to get at. When you take the intake mani off, you have to replace the valve cover gaskets, the upper and lower intake gaskets, the egr gasket, the throttle body gasket and you will probably find some frayed vacuum lines along the way that could use changing. If you pay someone to do it, it will be labor intensive. All the gaskets will be over 100 bucks and the valves are around 30-50 bucks. Sometimes the valves are still good and are only loose. Some say that you can remove the old ones, clean them up, torque them to spec using some lock tite and they will be fine. But then again, this may not even be the issue. That's were I would start though.

CT TURBO A4
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Sorry for opening up the thread again lol...just have a question about the Lucas stabilizer. I have a 1.8t a4 and have a minor ticking noise and was contemplating putting in the lucas stuff. I use Mobil1 5w-30 since I bought it from the prev. owner. That lucas stuff just looks real thick n gel type stuff so just wanted an opinion before I try it. TIA!

jpcallmotor
01-08-2010, 09:42 PM
^ Try Mobil 1 0W/40 in your 1.8T since your in a cold climate like CT. Mine chatters at startup but quiets down after a few minutes. Never tried Lucas Stabilizer, but might my next oil change, I tend to stay clear of additives at my mileage. Anyone else have any input?