PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for B5 A4

Arcticfox
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Okay, so i just purchased a 2000 a4 1.8t, with the winter package, everthing is stock as far as i can tell and the only thing i have added is a thule rack system for bikes and boards. i was just wondering if there were any upgrades that would be helpful. I love the Quattro, rain and snow will be constant for most drives.

ThatA4T
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh search lol chip, coilovers, exhaust, intake, BT, BAT haha there is so much just use the search button and im sure youll find many things u like and dislike. find what u like!

soundspeedstyle
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
depends on your goals man

Arcticfox
11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
it is a daily driver. i'm looking more for reliability than performance although i understand in some ways they are linked, i want a car that will last and look great. going fast is nice, but I really just want an enjoyable drive.

ThatA4T
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
first off look into a chip search to see which one you want but when u do a chip u need to look into a new diverter valve and a boost gauge... dont forget to keep money aside for when shit breaks haha

soundspeedstyle
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
it is a daily driver i'm looking more for reliability than performance although i understand in some ways they are linked, i want a car that will last and look great. going fast is nice, but I really just want an enjoyable drive.

sway bars, tower brace, suspension, CAI, full exhaust, Chip, DV, Boost gauge, lightweight wheels and tires... to start [evilmad]

Do exhaust, intake and DV first before chip.

Seerlah
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Cheap:
-Upgraded Snub Mount
-Stern Power Ring
-Stern Reaf Diff Carrier Mount Bushings
-Boost Gauge
-HID kit
-Motor Mounts
-Transmission Mounts
-RS4 Grill
-Window Tint
-etc

More expensive:
-CTapp or Unitronics ECU Flash
-Coilovers
-Exhaust
-Sway Bar
-JHM Short Shifter Package
-Bigger Turbo
-etc

soundspeedstyle
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't really get why he would want COs... Im not even doing them. I don't really see the point. I know how low I want to go and I don't want to ever go lower or higher lol... plus COs are twice the price than the other route

biketsai
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
B5 A4 FAQ section will cover it all./

Seerlah
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't really get why he would want COs... Im not even doing them. I don't really see the point. I know how low I want to go and I don't want to ever go lower or higher lol... plus COs are twice the price than the other route

Not starting a debate, but coilovers are an all around better route. And I paid $750 shipped for mine brand new with a lifetime warranty (they are $1150 now, but I got them on an introductory price). Really good struts such as Koni can cost $750+ for the struts alone, before shipping. And it is not just about height when it comes to coilovers. It has more to do with the adjustability. Having the ability for perfect corner balancing, adjustable dampers for your comfort, and searching for a coilover unit with a spring rate that will suit you. You can not do all that with shocks and springs. And if people live in weather like me, I can raise the car to not have it as a snow plow in the winter season vs race springs.

ThatA4T
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Not starting a debate, but coilovers are an all around better route. And I paid $750 shipped for mine brand new with a lifetime warranty (they are $1150 now, but I got them on an introductory price). Really good struts such as Koni can cost $750+ for the struts alone, before shipping. And it is not just about height when it comes to coilovers. It has more to do with the adjustability. Having the ability for perfect corner balancing, adjustable dampers for your comfort, and searching for a coilover unit with a spring rate that will suit you. You can not do all that with shocks and springs. And if people live in weather like me, I can raise the car to not have it as a snow plow in the winter season vs race springs.

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!! let the debate begin hahaha [headbang]

calvin1.8t
11-24-2009, 05:38 AM
good setup for about $2500...APR chip, Borla Exhaust, H&R spring and Bilstien strut combo. rims are your choice.

BlackLock_A4
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
SEARCH!!!!!

Here you go. Took me 10 seconds.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728&highlight=noob+guide

Duenorf
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
it is a daily driver. i'm looking more for reliability than performance although i understand in some ways they are linked, i want a car that will last and look great. going fast is nice, but I really just want an enjoyable drive.

Not so much an upgrade list but just getting it back to how it was.
Start off with all the basic wear items you'd expect for a 10 year old car and you'll get 90% of what you're looking for.
Timing belt (if not done)
Replace every single fluid and filter.
Every bushing/control arm/tie rod.
Then go for good tires, brake pads and stainless flex brake lines. (don't forget those winter tires as well)
If you do a lot of night driving then a lighting upgrade will definantly help.
If you are already on sports suspension it's good enough for a daily driver in the right hands.
Then find an advanced drivers course to really teach you to get the best out the vehicle and you'll end up having a lot of fun exploring the "limits" of the car (safely)
These cars can suck up more cash than you can imagine once you start chasing the one more mod.

eurobreed124
11-26-2009, 06:38 PM

couldnt say iit any better

i recommend chip c/o boost gauge and all maintence thats required get that out the way since you will have to eventually goood luck man

PoormansA4
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
B5 A4 FAQ section will cover it all./

exactly my thoughts