PDA

View Full Version : All rumors?

mrk3nn3dy
11-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Let me start off by saying I love my Audi but I was reading reviews on edmunds about the b5's specifically the 01. The first three pages were mixed reviews but most of them stating how unreliable they are and if its not one thing its another. Now, I have had my 01 a4 for almost two months only problem I have had was the coil packs; as we know that's an easy fix. Aside from my cracked oil pan and the moment I have had no real engine problems. I said all of that to ask this; Are there any precautions I can take or extra maintenance I can do to prevent my car from performing poorly or not at all? Once again I love my car and wouldn't trade it for the world I just want to prevent the larger things before they come because repairs are costly[:p]

So any feedback would be greatly appreciated and everyone have a safe and happy thanksgiving!

Peace

A4A4A4
11-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Do you have any wood around? I'd suggest knocking on it.[:p]

BlackLock_A4
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I hope you do all your own maintenance because with these cars it can get expensive. From oil, to new tires, it will all suck up more from your wallet. The 1.8 is a fairly easy car to work on because all the engine bay room (compared to s4). However, I wouldn't say these cars are unreliable, but just like you mentioned... many small things do go wrong with them. Looks like it has already started for you with the coil pack and the cracked oil pan. With my friend it is always little things with his car, cracked windshield, broken auto dimming mirror, turbo's (S4) sometimes over-spool or under-spool...

Anyway, glad to hear you love your car. I love mine as well, although the heater is broken at the moment and cold is already here!!

You have a happy thanksgiving as well [up]

Eric

nova_ss672001
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM

[>_<]
hahahaha

i suggest just staying on top of your routine maintenance....
oil chance, brake pads, spark plugs etc. etc...

SOFLY00
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM

lmaooo[headbang]

jpcallmotor
11-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Do the work yourself, and you have yourself a nice car.

My B5 is about to rollover 150K, had it for exactly a year. No real problems, never ever in the shop. I do all my oil changes, changed plugs, coil packs, and just did the complete timing belt job myself. I am a very broke kid (my A4 is stock on steelies) People say how do you afford it, what happens if it breaks, blah blah... It pays to be handy with these cars.

ThatA4T
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
its all about diy youll save yourself thousnads upon thousands!

xdewaynex
11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Do the work yourself, and you have yourself a nice car.

My B5 is about to rollover 150K, had it for exactly a year. No real problems, never ever in the shop. I do all my oil changes, changed plugs, coil packs, and just did the complete timing belt job myself. I am a very broke kid, but get alot of shit for driving an Audi. People say how do you afford it, what happens if it breaks, blah blah... It pays to be handy with these cars.

Im right behind you man. Mine has close to 145k. Just done the timing belt, water pump assembly myself a couple months ago, saving me $800 in labor. I get the same shit about owning an Audi. I get the whole "you must have some money to own one of those". It just helps when you can turn a wrench and not afraid to get in there take something apart yourself.

ThatA4T
11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
im at 155k and also just did the timing belt and water pump after wrecking my car before i put it back together haha

Oceanside
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
$48 for an oil change that you do yourself is always good for a giggle. This is one of the best cars ever made in my opinion cause the krauts always over engineer everything and then some which is great, till it comes to fixing then it becomes interesting and costly. But Ive never had to fix anything twice on this car 01 too

mrk3nn3dy
11-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Yeah...my own maintenance is a must I live in a small town if so there aren't many shops that work on Audi's and I must admit I have had several different kinds of vehicles and nevertheless the a4 is my favorite to work on.

calvin1.8t
11-24-2009, 05:24 AM
its an audi man. you dont buy an audi expecting it to be an old chevy thatll go on for 6,000,000 miles with 3 oil changes. just change the oil every 3k use v-power and then engine will last. it just the little shit u gotta worry 'bout. www.ecstuning.com has ceap parts and if you cant find them there go to the dealer.

Seerlah
11-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Not to be that guy, but 2 months is not long enough to grant a review like that. These cars are very reliable, deopending on how you treat them. I have an 01 and spend a fair amount of money to keep her fully maintained. But if you do that, she should be good to go. Currently, other than a bad wheel bearing and losing coolant somewhere (have not had time to get under the car and check where the leak is at) she is in perfect condition.

McGovs2.7TB5
11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
If you take care of it, it'll take care of you.