PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought the boost guage pod for the top of the steering column?

Fartsniffer
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I've gotta install a VDO or Omari (if I can find one, how much are they?) boost guage and I think the steering column one is pretty clean.
I don't want to spend the $$ on the one that goes between the vents and I don't want a A-pillar one cause I don't wanna take a gauge to the face in case I get in an accident on the freeway. Other reasons besides that gay one too lol.

The kit looks pretty good, anyone have one in their car?

EVIL-AUDI
01-09-2005, 01:40 PM
The only person I ever saw have one was Sal R. Haven't seen him around these parts in a long time. I know Overspun was making a nice Center vent one that was not expensive at all. Lot's of members have it.

quattro_maniac
01-09-2005, 01:44 PM
i have it, but its not in right now, i had it in my passat and it was great...i dont think i'll be putting it in this car...$30 shipped if you want it [;)]

kassper
01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
you could always put it in the top left corner of the dash...thats pretty clean to

Fartsniffer
01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
hmm I'll let you know.

and yeah- if I bought a gauge like the new Blitz that mount on you windshield I could do that or get the Greddy that mounts on the top of your dash. I think its a Greddy..

But those won't have the OEM appeal of a black face VDO, and they're like 3 times more than one too.

AB18
01-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey fart, id jump on that. 30bucks ship is the best ur gona do, and its a cool gauge.

quattro_maniac
01-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by AB18
Hey fart, id jump on that. 30bucks ship is the best ur gona do, and its a cool gauge.
no gauge, just the pod...

i only have 1 pic of it with the black-face gauge...(ignore the mph[;)] )
http://www.phpatel.com/misc/IMG_1048.JPG
and a night shot with the white-face...
http://www.phpatel.com/misc/IMG_0126.JPG

pics of the pod when i was gonna put it up for sale...never sold it
http://s94312964.onlinehome.us/forsale1/IMG_1977.jpg
http://s94312964.onlinehome.us/forsale1/IMG_1981.jpg

Fartsniffer
01-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I figured the VDO's would illuminate like the A4 gauges, black face & white numbers during the day, black face & red numbers at night.
Looks like the whole face of your lights up red.. that doesn't look like its gonna match my interior very well at night, might kinda stick out..

Is your a VDO Vision meter? part # 150121?

Maybe the Omari's would match better.. the only website I can find that sells them is that janky looking "official" one. any links you can post?

sighpost
01-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Go with the A pillar mount. It wont block your instrument pannel. Also, autometer Z series looks really good in our cars.

Fartsniffer
01-09-2005, 05:43 PM
A. I have a grey interior. But I guess I could use that plastic spray paint to paint the pod. Or find a material thats similar to my interiors and cover it in that.

B. I don't wanna punch a hole in my A-pillers material.

C. I don't want a flying boost gauge to destroy my pretty face if I get in an accident.

So I'm really tempted to buy either an air vent pod (lots of $$) or the steering column one (very cheap).

Anyone else have a air vent pod with a grey interior? Did you color your pod to match your interior? how'd you do it?

quattro_maniac
01-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Fartsniffer
I figured the VDO's would illuminate like the A4 gauges, black face & white numbers during the day, black face & red numbers at night.
Looks like the whole face of your lights up red.. that doesn't look like its gonna match my interior very well at night, might kinda stick out..

Is your a VDO Vision meter? part # 150121?

honostly, i have no idea...the white-face one i got for free from my friend that got an omori, and the black one i bought used for $10 from another passat owner...
and yea, the VDO one i had lit up the whole face, i changed the bulb to blue eventually and it looked alot better...
i'm not sure about the new VDOs...

awe-tuning.com sells omori gauges, they're just badged as awe gauges

sighpost
01-09-2005, 05:47 PM
i upholstered my a pillar pod and it matches pretty well

RippleChip
01-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Depends on the VDO Model.
Get the one with white lettering, black face. At night (with the bulb cover) it lights up red and matches the interior perfectly.

Fartsniffer
01-09-2005, 06:04 PM
really? I was looking at those and they say they're Japanese gauges and sure look at lot like Omari's. Makes sense.

ColumbiaDeath
01-09-2005, 09:29 PM
I know of an 'Overspun center gauge pod' for sale- it's the one i use in my car and i highly recommend it...can be had for a low price...PM or respond to this thread.

MikekiM
01-10-2005, 08:06 AM
I've been running our steering column pod for a year or so with the VDO boost gauge.
The match is very good. It goes block some of the center trip display.