PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if control arm is getting bad?

JohnBanks
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I have a clunk when going over bumps when turning, especially when turning left and it comes mostly from passenger side front. If it was a full strut assembly it sounds as if the strut mount is smacking together. Is this most likely control arm issues and which one is the problematic one, upper or lower, etc?

Also on a diff note. If my motor mounts are bad will this make it more likely that I crack my APR snub mount?

99blueb5
11-23-2009, 01:33 PM
sounds like your control arms are out, if a clucking noise and nothing is broken its prob your control arms

stubbs
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
That does sound like control arms. If you want a more definite check, jack the car up and grab the wheel. It shouldn't move when you push on either side. Then grab the upper control arms and see if you can move them much with your hand. If so, time to replace them.

T3hD0gg
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I found a good video on YouTube that should help you out with diagnosing. It pretty much describes what has been said already but in a nice visual form. [;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbeBvu49ts4

JohnBanks
11-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you, I think it just started. This f-ing car will be brand new if I finish fixing things