PDA

View Full Version : What do i need for the gt2x?

grillhands
11-21-2009, 07:19 AM
I plan on buying the gt2x turbo on the classified forum. I want to know a few things i need to have it running right. For example, I need to know:

1. tune- Ive heard of the giac hammer file works pretty good with the gt2x
2. Injector size- ive also heard the tt injectors work well
3. does the turbo need an oil restrictor
4. Could i run my apr 93 octane on my ko3s for a month or two b4 i get whats needed
5. different maf housing
6. FPR

Ive searched and couldn't find much info on the gt2x. I know its the red-headed step child of the garrett gt family but im only looking for 220-230 awhp so i think it would be a good fit for me. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

ghost6303
11-21-2009, 07:40 AM
1- you can probably use a tweaked hammer file, though if you call giac they will be able to tell you exactly what you need.
2- software dependent, TT injectors are going to be around the size you need though.
3- all GT turbos need an oil restrictor
4- you can probably get away with it if you turn down the boost, though you should always wait until you have everything necessary and not do it half-assed.
5- software dependent
6- software dependent

pretty much what you should do is figure out what software company you want to use and give them a call. they will be able to explain everything to you. giac may even have a pre-tweaked file for this turbo since there has been more then a few people who run a GT2x.

grillhands
11-21-2009, 07:48 AM
1- you can probably use a tweaked hammer file, though if you call giac they will be able to tell you exactly what you need.
2- software dependent, TT injectors are going to be around the size you need though.
3- all GT turbos need an oil restrictor
4- you can probably get away with it if you turn down the boost, though you should always wait until you have everything necessary and not do it half-assed.
5- software dependent
6- software dependent

pretty much what you should do is figure out what software company you want to use and give them a call. they will be able to explain everything to you. giac may even have a pre-tweaked file for this turbo since there has been more then a few people who run a GT2x.

That is the best, most detailed answer i ever got on audizine! Thank you. [hail] Do our stock turbo come with a restrictor and what size do you think is best?

ghost6303
11-21-2009, 08:09 AM
there is a GT-series specific oil restrictor that limits oil pressure to 30-ish psi. our oil pressure can get close to 100psi at times, and that will push all sorts of oil past the turbo seals and make a giant cloud of smoke.

you need one of these
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=442

edit: lol that exact description i just gave is on that page. i swear i wrote that before finding the link.

grillhands
11-21-2009, 08:53 AM
there is a GT-series specific oil restrictor that limits oil pressure to 30-ish psi. our oil pressure can get close to 100psi at times, and that will push all sorts of oil past the turbo seals and make a giant cloud of smoke.

you need one of these
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=442

edit: lol that exact description i just gave is on that page. i swear i wrote that before finding the link.

lol that's awesome[up]

grillhands
11-21-2009, 09:33 AM
One more thing, how low of boost could i run if i had to run the apr 93 chip? I was thinking 8lbs?

ghost6303
11-22-2009, 12:19 PM
lol that's awesome[up]

glad you like that. thanks for the negative rep points for that answer. [down]

Seerlah
11-22-2009, 12:35 PM
^lol. I am sure he just hit the wrong button. Sucks that he gave you negative rep, though.

97B518TQM
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
That is the best, most detailed answer i ever got on audizine! Thank you. [hail] Do our stock turbo come with a restrictor and what size do you think is best?

And also a very wrong answer to pretty much every question you asked.

You will outflow 310 injectors as soon as you go above 15 psi on that turbo so you need 42lb injectors, or 440cc injectors to support this turbo.
That oil restrictor from 034 is for ball bearing turbos. The GT2X turbo is not a ball bearing turbo.
The turbo outflows the stock maf housing, you definetely need a bigger maf housing.
You can run your chipped ecu with the turbo as long as you don't boost more than 5-10 psi of boost. After that you will lean out your car big time.

I have had this turbo for months now and have talked to several tuners about it until I got it dyno tuned at 034 motorsport. I know what it needs for almost any tune. I hope this gets you in the right direction.

grillhands
11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
i gave you positive.. i'll fix that. Sorry if i did, i mustve hit the wrong one....i tried to change it but the website won't let me!!

grillhands
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM

You will outflow 310 injectors as soon as you go above 15 psi on that turbo so you need 42lb injectors, or 440cc injectors to support this turbo.
That oil restrictor from 034 is for ball bearing turbos. The GT2X turbo is not a ball bearing turbo.
The turbo outflows the stock maf housing, you definetely need a bigger maf housing.
You can run your chipped ecu with the turbo as long as you don't boost more than 5-10 psi of boost. After that you will lean out your car big time.

I have had this turbo for months now and have talked to several tuners about it until I got it dyno tuned at 034 motorsport. I know what it needs for almost any tune. I hope this gets you in the right direction.

So, does the turbo need a restrictor? Also, some ko4 files run red top injectors that are 310cc but use a 3bar? Do they run lean with that?

grillhands
03-07-2010, 04:56 AM
This weekend, i finally got the time to install the gt2x along with some other mods. I used the eurodyne 630cc mafless file and i have to say the car pulls amazingly strong. I want to give an honorable mention to Arnold at Pagparts. He is very helpful and his knowledge is extensive for our vehicles. Soon i will be doing some more mods and then i'll post dyno numbers. thanks

passatg60
03-07-2010, 07:03 AM
This weekend, i finally got the time to install the gt2x along with some other mods. I used the eurodyne 630cc mafless file and i have to say the car pulls amazingly strong. I want to give an honorable mention to Arnold at Pagparts. He is very helpful and his knowledge is extensive for our vehicles. Soon i will be doing some more mods and then i'll post dyno numbers. thanks

If the APR EMCS board wasnt enough. Grafting in the 032DL (AWW) PSOP prom and seeing how that marriage was going to work was pretty hairy :). Doing these kinds of things on a Saturday afternoon with no backup is sorta like skydiving w/ an unchecked parachute pack. Good day though

grillhands
03-07-2010, 07:38 AM
If the APR EMCS board wasnt enough. Grafting in the 032DL (AWW) PSOP prom and seeing how that marriage was going to work was pretty hairy :). Doing these kinds of things on a Saturday afternoon with no backup is sorta like skydiving w/ an unchecked parachute pack. Good day though

You are the Man

Kyle H
03-07-2010, 08:29 AM
What's your AF with that setup?

grillhands
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I waiting on getting a wideband so i can't really tell you as of now.

Kyle H
03-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow, you're braver than me running that setup without a wideband.

maxspeed
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM

TT injectors are 380cc and flow more than enough for that turbo.

grillhands
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
TT injectors are 380cc and flow more than enough for that turbo.

I think 630cc can definitley handle the gt2x

Rickz96
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I have this red-head step child on my 2K. I run a unitronics file, 440 injectors, 3" ford MAF housing, fuel pressure regulator, 255lph fuel pump, FMIC, 3"TIP, and 2.5" exhaust.

AND pauter rods, JE pistons, as when I installed this "stock internal safe setup" on my 93k mile motor, it spit out the #4 conrod.......

Good luck Broh, I wouldn't stomp on it too hard until you get it sorted out.

-Rick

grillhands
03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Really? Did you have a boost controller installed to control the turbo spike? My setup gradually gets to 22psi and it has less torque spike than my ko3s with the 93apr chip.

Kyle H
03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Bad tunes kill rods, something to keep in mind if you haven't gotten it tuned and aren't monitoring your AF....

grillhands
03-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I have the eurodyne tune but as of now my clutch just went so i had to order the fx400. I won't be hitting boost until i put this in.

grillhands
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Rickz96, this picture on your replys, is that your rod?

Rickz96
03-08-2010, 04:52 AM
[o_o]Yes sir! Unitronics was kind enough to give me a pretty agressive tune. I would agree, the boost spike on this thing is crazy, at 3K it hits real hard. Almost annoying at times. I do not have a MBC, however have been looking at them. I will eventually get one, just been crazy busy with work and school.

grillhands
03-08-2010, 08:22 AM
The boost controller i installed bleeds to the wastegate so it doesnt slam at 3k. The boost comes on real gradual and i only spent $10 for it on ebay.

maxspeed
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Bleeder type MBC are the only type of mbc you want to use on these cars, ball and spring ramp way too hard for turbos that spool ala ko3/k04/gt2x. EBC's are best, but thats if you wanna drop that kinda loot...

97B518TQM
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I had a GT2X on my 173k motor with a Uni tune and never snapped a rod. It was tuned to 22 psi also, with a manual ball and spring BC. Later on I added an HKS EBC and it still kicked in pretty damn fast. For some reason I gained 20lbs of torque with the EBC installed. The guys at 034 were surprised to see the bump in torque on the dyno as I had it dynod before and after the EBC. Go figure. The GT2X was one of my favorite turbos of all times. It's not making some crazy power but the torque it put down and the curve of the torque were very nice for daily driving. Even though I have the GT2871R now I kind of miss the GT2X fast torque.

dcampana
03-08-2010, 04:23 PM
^^ wow i am surprised to read that statement. Albiet I never had the GT2x turbo so i have nothing to compare this to. I love my 71r set up though....

:)

97B518TQM
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I love the top end power of the 71r too but with the GT2X I had 263lbs of torque at less than 3k rpm. I get that number above 4k rpm with the 71r, which is a pretty significant difference in the way the car feels. The GT2X would start dying after 5k rpm while the 71r keeps pulling all the way to 7200 rpm. It's just a different feeling.

grillhands
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I love the top end power of the 71r too but with the GT2X I had 263lbs of torque at less than 3k rpm. I get that number above 4k rpm with the 71r, which is a pretty significant difference in the way the car feels. The GT2X would start dying after 5k rpm while the 71r keeps pulling all the way to 7200 rpm. It's just a different feeling.

Did you ever do a quarter mile pull with the gt2x?

97B518TQM
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
No, I don't have a track anywhere close to me or at least within a couple of hours driving.

dcampana
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Infineon FTW!!!!! hehehe i am lucky its only 40 mins from me

grillhands
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Infineon FTW!!!!! hehehe i am lucky its only 40 mins from me

Englishtown is about a 20 minute ride from my house. I wanted to go on friday but it's supposed to rain and i don't think i'll have my clutch in by then.

grillhands
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I had a GT2X on my 173k motor with a Uni tune and never snapped a rod. It was tuned to 22 psi also, with a manual ball and spring BC. Later on I added an HKS EBC and it still kicked in pretty damn fast. For some reason I gained 20lbs of torque with the EBC installed. The guys at 034 were surprised to see the bump in torque on the dyno as I had it dynod before and after the EBC. Go figure. The GT2X was one of my favorite turbos of all times. It's not making some crazy power but the torque it put down and the curve of the torque were very nice for daily driving. Even though I have the GT2871R now I kind of miss the GT2X fast torque.

Did u run a oil restrictor on the gt2x?

97B518TQM
03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
No, just the oem fitting that came on the K03.