PDA

View Full Version : Question about quattro

muyboy1
11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
as stupid as this might sound i just traded my a4 for another a4...the thing is i forgot to check if it was AWD...its a 1996 a4 2.8L i dont see the usual badges that say quattro. Is there any other way to look and find out?

mholme
11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
as stupid as this might sound i just traded my a4 for another a4...the thing is i forgot to check if it was AWD...its a 1996 a4 2.8L i dont see the usual badges that say quattro. Is there any other way to look and find out?
[o_o]

ThatA4T
11-20-2009, 10:51 PM
[o_o]

haha

Tiluleshpingen
11-20-2009, 11:05 PM
drop you head to the floor and look for a rear diff.
Diff found= quattro
Diff not found=FWD

Asharp27
11-20-2009, 11:47 PM
or drive it.. if it pulls its FWD. if it feels like a rocket w/ neither pull nor push.. its AWD

Asharp27
11-20-2009, 11:48 PM
torque steer? FWD!

jrock
11-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Carfax! Or get it on jacks and start it up to see which wheels turn. But I am sure you could break the tires on a fwd loose somehow (hardcore 1st gear pull lol) to know also.

Coopa
11-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Floor it in a gravel parking lot while someone watches. I'm SURE you'll figure it out.

search much...........

terraflata
11-21-2009, 07:43 AM
I know you don't need to hear it...but damn man. I heard people buying these cars not knowing they didnt have sunroofs, but Quattro....damn.

muyboy1
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
shhheeeeiit i was just happy to get the other one off my hands...it was fudged up...this guy was like "oh sweet i'll trade"

This Is Epic
11-22-2009, 10:04 PM
shhheeeeiit i was just happy to get the other one off my hands...it was fudged up...this guy was like "oh sweet i'll trade"

He knew it was winter and his didn't have quattro. [:p]

BlackLock_A4
11-22-2009, 10:48 PM
oh noooooooo!!! [o_o] Just drive it.

Very sorry... [=(]

andyrew
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
If it doesnt have a badge on the right of the dash, its not quattro...

PoormansA4
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
few things actually but ya look for that rear diff would be the big clue

burner799
11-23-2009, 01:03 AM
this has to be a troll

Kronic Budz
11-23-2009, 02:00 AM

strait up

somebody5788
11-23-2009, 05:44 AM
torque steer? FWD!

Um no.... Audi's will not torque steer. The whole reason cars torque steer is because they have transverse engines with different length CV shafts. This causes the longer one to twist under torque which causes less power delivered to that side and therefore the car pulling. All B5's have a longitudinal engine w/ = length CV's...

A4 Jarrid
11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Check owners manual/ registration....

B6T
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM

I'm surprised it took this many posts for this (very obvious) answer to come out. But ya, the 'Quattro' badge on the dash is the dead give-away. Unless somehow the dash was swapped, but then you probably wouldn't want that car anyway.

Asharp27
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Um no.... Audi's will not torque steer. The whole reason cars torque steer is because they have transverse engines with different length CV shafts. This causes the longer one to twist under torque which causes less power delivered to that side and therefore the car pulling. All B5's have a longitudinal engine w/ = length CV's...

sorry i DD a b6 and it torque steer's.

Kyle H
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
wheel spin on one side also causes torque steer.

soundspeedstyle
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
... try to burn out? power brake if its an auto and turn the wheel aim for a cyclone or if it just sits there and wheels spinnin congrats! fwd haha

Stumanbmx
11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Did calvin create a second account?

orttauq
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM

No, that's ONE reason why a car would torque steer.

The biggest culprit of torque steer is an open front differential. When a FWD car has traction and is using a factory diff (most cars), only ONE wheel is getting power. The other wheel doesn't see power unless the main drive wheel loses traction. So when you're making a decent amount of power with a FWD car (longitudinal or transverse engine mounting), you're going to encounter torque steer.

J. Daniel
11-24-2009, 05:20 AM
When a FWD car has traction and is using a factory diff (most cars), only ONE wheel is getting power. The other wheel doesn't see power unless the main drive wheel loses traction.

Sorry Dude, but this is not correct.
Both wheels get the same applied torque at all times with an open differential.
It's just that if one wheel is on a slippery surface it limits the torque that can be applied to both wheels.
Not to mention that if only one wheel was consistently getting all the power you'd get massively uneven tire wear.

somebody5788
11-24-2009, 06:03 AM
sorry i DD a b6 and it torque steer's.

If so then somethings wrong. Whether its the road or different tire wear or a siezed caliper. Or the ABS light is on. It shouldn't have real torque steer.

somebody5788
11-24-2009, 06:07 AM
No, that's ONE reason why a car would torque steer.

The biggest culprit of torque steer is an open front differential. When a FWD car has traction and is using a factory diff (most cars), only ONE wheel is getting power. The other wheel doesn't see power unless the main drive wheel loses traction. So when you're making a decent amount of power with a FWD car (longitudinal or transverse engine mounting), you're going to encounter torque steer.

The open dif contributes a little but you are incorrect. Look up how a differential works on youtube....

Also these cars all come standard with EDL (electronic differential lock) when ABS is equipped. Meaning if it does sense torque steer due to one wheel getting more power it will apply the brakes on that side to give the other side more power. So no an Audi should not torque steer. And don't try to tell me the EDL doesn't do anything. I am severly missing it w/ my ABS light on (disables ABS and EDL). The car is so much less predictable when sliding its almost scary. The EDL while limited in capabilities does wonders. It's like a passive traction control and its awesome.

End of story!

orttauq
11-24-2009, 09:24 AM
The open dif contributes a little but you are incorrect. Look up how a differential works on youtube....

Also these cars all come standard with EDL (electronic differential lock) when ABS is equipped. Meaning if it does sense torque steer due to one wheel getting more power it will apply the brakes on that side to give the other side more power. So no an Audi should not torque steer. And don't try to tell me the EDL doesn't do anything. I am severly missing it w/ my ABS light on (disables ABS and EDL). The car is so much less predictable when sliding its almost scary. The EDL while limited in capabilities does wonders. It's like a passive traction control and its awesome.

End of story!

I know how a differential works. Maybe YOU should start researching some.

VW/Audi EDL doesn't reduce torque steer. It only transfers power when one wheel is spinning faster than the other (ie. slipping). Torque steer happens when the main drive wheel has the most traction and is "pulling" the car on that side. The other drive wheel is basically just along for the ride. This is all while you HAVE TRACTION, in which case the EDL is not in use.

AudiNinja
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
[headbang] OP you need to find one of those "hit you head here signs" and do it.

Also the rear diff is drain and fill correct?
Is the front diff meshed with the transmission on a 1998.5 1.8TQMS?
Are they drain and fill too?
I cant find the Check on the transmission or any of the diffs??????????????

somebody5788
11-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I know how a differential works. Maybe YOU should start researching some.

VW/Audi EDL doesn't reduce torque steer. It only transfers power when one wheel is spinning faster than the other (ie. slipping). Torque steer happens when the main drive wheel has the most traction and is "pulling" the car on that side. The other drive wheel is basically just along for the ride. This is all while you HAVE TRACTION, in which case the EDL is not in use.

Just think about what you just said... if they both have traction then it will not torque steer. If one has less traction then one is spinning faster then the other and the EDL will kick in.... If one is not spinning faster then the other then IT WILL NOT torque steer. The only thing that could happen is the road pulling it which happens just as much on RWD and quattro.

Edit: All I am saying is any problems with the open dif will be counter acted with the EDL. Torque steer can still occur but it will be for different reasons like: improper tire pressures, different tires, different wear, bad suspension parts, or a number of other things.

adr3naline fix
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
If you don't know if its FWD or AWD, I don't think its going to change the way you drive [>_<]

discontained
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Wouldnt a FWD engine be transverse opposed to longitudinal?

calvin1.8t
11-24-2009, 04:12 PM
if you look on the passenger side trim and theres no quattro logo then you got a front track. flooring it on a dirt road would be a sign to haha

mholme
11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
if you look on the passenger side trim and theres no quattro logo then you got a front track.

That's not a definitive way of telling if a car is FWD or quattro. Trim gets changed, badges get changed. The proper way to tell is to ask before buying it and then verify for yourself before buying it.

orttauq
11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Wouldnt a FWD engine be transverse opposed to longitudinal?

Nope, could be either.

orttauq
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Just think about what you just said... if they both have traction then it will not torque steer. If one has less traction then one is spinning faster then the other and the EDL will kick in.... If one is not spinning faster then the other then IT WILL NOT torque steer. The only thing that could happen is the road pulling it which happens just as much on RWD and quattro.

Re-read what I said. You're not grasping what happens with an open diff. One wheel will get more power than the other. Power transfer especially when under the most load will take the path of least resistance. One wheel will get more power, and when it does that's when torque steer can occur. If that wheel then slips and spins FASTER than the other wheel, the differential will transfer power to the other wheel.

B5A4Kevin
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
i can verify that fwd auto's still torque steer, especially cvt's. and they have equal lenght cv axles. transverse engines with different length axles have super torque steer, but any fwd (auto or manual) audi ive driven in the last 4 years that ive been working on these cars, has had at least some torque steer (imo) due to it having an open differential. edl/esp doesnt transfer power. it limits it by applying the brakes to the faster wheel, or in a turn,esp applys the brakes to the inside rear wheel to pivot the car around it. the new s4 rear diff is a viscous fluid clutch which always has a percentage of slip in order to transfer power in a turn to the outside rear wheel which lets you power out of the corner easier, thus reducing understeer.

the best way to tell if you have quattro is look under the rear bumper for a differential or cv axles.

the best way to reduce torque steer is quattro

/thread.

rAphb0y
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
No Badge = most likely not a Quattro.

somebody5788
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Idk I've driven a shit load of FWD B5 Passats and never noticed torque steer. Then again I used to drive a Civic so I know what real torque steer is. Hell my quattro pulls on acceleration sometimes.... I've never driven a car that doesn't do a small amount of pulling under acceleration.

And yes I grasp what your saying I just don't believe that it actually happens as much as your making it out to.

01audia4
11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
or drive it.. if it pulls its FWD. if it feels like a rocket w/ neither pull nor push.. its AWDA rocket you mean a snail?

onemoremile
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Any car that powers the front wheels can torque steer regardless of it's technology or mechanics. All it takes is a wet manhole cover or a patch of ice. That said, some do it much more than others. One of the worst is a Focus with a limited slip front. When the power is fed to the one wheel with grip that steering wheel pulls hard. Check the Top Gear review of the factory tuned Focus on youtube. Might be the Focus RS.

EDL is a reactive system and isn't as seamless as it sounds. It also doesn't work over 30-35 mph. Hit an ice patch on the freeway that makes your car want to steer itself into the other lane and EDL is napping. This happens in a quattro car too but the front and rear on that side will spin. The Outback has a mechanical rear diff and you could feel the effect of the one rear wheel pushing the car and adding a bit of yaw to the mix.

jakeb5
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
does it say quattro above the glove box? check the title for awd or fwd it its fwd you messed up

terraflata
11-28-2009, 01:22 AM
does it say quattro above the glove box? check the title for awd or fwd it its fwd you messed up

X2

quattrosedan
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
My 96 A4 v6 fwd had noticeable torque steer. I have never noticed torque steer on my 1.8 quattro.
As for the EDL system, mine must be broken. When I hit the gas going around a corner, the back end comes around at any speed...