PDA

View Full Version : GTRS turbo possibily..?

blkaudi98
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Considering getting a GTRS turbo for my car. I think its about time, stock turbo has roughly 127,xxx miles. Am in desperate need of a new clutch, and a chip just isnt doing it anymore...

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/atp-turbo-350hp-gtrs-bolton-turbo-kit-audi-a4-18t-9704-p-34369.html

Im looking at this kit from vividracing...any opinions?

I know i need a FMIC, and a new clutch.

What clutch should i go with? i was thinking southbend, but after doing some reading, im not so sure anymore...?

Right now, i have a milltek cat-back with an apr downpipe. If i get a labree HFC will that be okay?...or do i need to go 3 inch

Also, besides the kit, FMIC, clutch, what else do i need?...sorry, a [headbang][headbang]

lbs4
11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
you will need a tune/fueling kit

biketsai
11-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Go with the Clutch Masters FX400 from Mike at Ringer-racing.com, I got a great deal for that piece. You really don't need to upgrade your exhaust unless you are running a cat still. If I were you I would piece together a kit and get tuning from Chris Tapp.

Coopa
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
You'll want tires to keep that fwd stickin to the ground! [:D]
You'll want some rods as well.

blkaudi98
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
haha, just got new tires this summer.
to be honest, very rarely to i get on it hard in first. so tires wont be that big of a deal. plus after buying all of this, i wont have any money for new tires. haha

about how much am i looking at spending for everything?

thanks az

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
That gtrs is really going to be pushing your car's internals.

Have you thought about a ka04, injectors, tune and a clutch? that will net you some good power while keeping the car pretty stockish. Then you wouldn't have to worry about exhaust or fuel pumps. Granted it isn't as much power, but it isn't as much money either! And since you need a clutch and you are only FWD, it might be more feasible?

Coopa
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Just some rough estimates for ya
$700-1200 for the fmic.
Vividracing has a $1600 GTRS kit
$400 for rods (play it safe, anything bigger than a k04 is pushing it)
Fueling/Ecu Programming anywhere from 400-700 I believe? Don't quote me on that haha.
Biketsai said fx400 clutch, which is a good call. Figure $500ish for that.
It all adds up pretty quick.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Ok, I got creative:
Click here for a ko4 injectors and clutch (http://www.ecstuning.com/Cart/?add1=3364&qty1=1&add2=252146&qty2=1&add3=5485&qty3=1&utm_source=CArmbruster&utm_medium=email&utm_content=link2cart&salesrep=CArmbruster) for ~1822.00 dollars. Add a tune from someone like APR or GIAC for free or a discount because you are already Stage 1 flashed and you've got a built 1.8t putting out better than 230 hp. You also don't need to worry about your bottom end like you would with a GTRS for well under 2k. And you still get to keep your exhaust setup that you've already paid for.

I would source a good FMIC and wrap the car up for 2500 out the door.

blkaudi98
11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, it does add up quick.

chris@ecs....PM me i have a question for you, thanks.

About how much do you guys think im putting out now...

150hp stock
chip
apr downpipe/milltek cat-back

...?

Does the GT28 need fuel/rods/exhaust...ect?

biketsai
11-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, it does add up quick.

chris@ecs....PM me i have a question for you, thanks.

About how much do you guys think im putting out now...

150hp stock
chip
apr downpipe/milltek cat-back

...?

Does the GT28 need fuel/rods/exhaust...ect?

You are probably putting down like 150awhp.
If you get hte GTRS you dont need to have rods, especially on the AEB, I would just suggest a good tune. You will need fueling (tune/injectors), and your current exhaust seems fine.

flynnr
11-21-2009, 02:04 AM
You are probably putting down like 150awhp.
If you get hte GTRS you dont need to have rods, especially on the AEB, I would just suggest a good tune. You will need fueling (tune/injectors), and your current exhaust seems fine.

why do you say especially on AEB?

PoormansA4
11-21-2009, 10:29 AM
think AEBs have stronger rods than 00 and 01

tdn
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I personally wouldn't bother with rods if you're going with the GTRS, in fact I'm a little surprised everyone seems to be suggesting rods with the gtrs or even suggest going with a k04. I say stick with a good gtrs kit and make sure you go with a trusted and well known tune and you'll have very little to worry about.

beejohn
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
i have a pretty much brand new gtrs kit im going to put up for sale this weekend... i thought there was an issue with the wg on my gtrs, so i bought another one. swapped it out, still having the same spool issues as the original gtrs so it wasn't the turbo. turned out i had low compression on one of the cylinders doh! it was on the car for less than 5k miles, and it comes with a brand new hardware kit.

look for it in the classifieds later this weekend with pics

blkaudi98
11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay, well now im back to square one.

I was thinking GTRS, but then once i got into the total price and how many other parts were needed, i was started thinking Ko4......plus FWD might be an issue.

But now im starting to lean back towards the GTRS.

Okay....

well im a 19 yr old, that goes to school full-time, and works 40+ hours per week.
I don't have a HUGE income, but i definitely could save up enough money in a decent amount of time, yet i dont want this car to be a money pit.

What do you guys think would be the best decision, considering maintenance and such....remember it is a D.D
also:
It comes down to...

My girlfriend just got a MKV GTI a few months ago

Stock 200hp
Intake
Turbo-back exhaust
and coming this next summer, a stage 2 apr chip (270hp)

WHAT DO I NEED TO BEAT HER!!?!?!?!?

Shhmaudi
11-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Okay, well now im back to square one.

I was thinking GTRS, but then once i got into the total price and how many other parts were needed, i was started thinking Ko4......plus FWD might be an issue.

But now im starting to lean back towards the GTRS.

Okay....

well im a 19 yr old, that goes to school full-time, and works 40+ hours per week.
I don't have a HUGE income, but i definitely could save up enough money in a decent amount of time, yet i dont want this car to be a money pit.

What do you guys think would be the best decision, considering maintenance and such....remember it is a D.D
also:
It comes down to...

My girlfriend just got a MKV GTI a few months ago

Stock 200hp
Intake
Turbo-back exhaust
and coming this next summer, a stage 2 apr chip (270hp)

WHAT DO I NEED TO BEAT HER!!?!?!?!?

Bwmahahahahahahahahahah what do I need to beat her!!!!!!!!!! I went Gt28rs on my 98 with stock rods.. AEB motors are built BETTER than the new motors.. Better internals better bottom end Overall better flow.. SEARCH it.. (Im too lazy to find it right now but im sure you can find it in some big turbo threads..) MAN I even got CARBON FIBER drive shafts.. 01 gots steel.. Go gtrs you wont be mad and you will def have enough power to blow her doors off in any gear.. youll have est. 300+hpcrank Have fun tryin to drive that on your fwd when boost hits... QUAttro FTW!!!!![race]

ghost6303
11-22-2009, 12:11 PM
^^is that a monkey typing on a blackberry?

theres no reason a miltek exhaust wouldnt work for any of the turbos you are considering. im surprised people suggested that it wouldnt. you may or may not need to change downpipes depending on what turbo you get. a high flow cat or test pipe would always be beneficial.

I personally wouldn't bother with rods if you're going with the GTRS, in fact I'm a little surprised everyone seems to be suggesting rods with the gtrs or even suggest going with a k04.

+1

rods start breaking with over 300-325 ftlb tq. as long as you get a good tune that doesnt have ridiculous tq spikes you will be fine. a k04 setup is only going to be slightly less expensive. i wouldnt even consider it a worthwile upgrade. if your turbo is on the way out and you need to replace it anyways, sure throw on a k04. but to go out of your way for a k04 'upgrade'? i wouldnt.

biketsai
11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
You're going to need a Gt2871r eliminator to beat her lol. Like you, I am a young college students and I would have to say that my car is probably even more reliable now that I have swapped to a bigger turbo setup. You should be fine with a gt2871r and stock motor as long as you go with a good tune. Just remember, do it once, the right way.

viceprp
11-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Same here. I'm a college student and pushing 40+ hours during the work season (Mar-Nov) and I understand the money crunch. I would first look around for the best deals (piece together your mods, if you must) and make small purchases along the way. That way are progressing BT and also have some cash in your pocket for other things: Books, Food, Beer.. ect.

I'm doing the same thing right now. Every 3 paychecks I'll throw down ~500 towards parts that I will need for BT. Next purchase will be a Racetec FMIC. Its hard to go through college with $400 car, $40 phone, and $200 apartment payments each month. PLUS food and Booze

blkaudi98
11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, i will more than likely start buying parts here and there.

1. Clutch (need it the most right now)
2. FMIC (wont hurt before BT)
3. BT kit
4. etc.

estimate of how much HP am i gonna have with the GTRS?

Lowdaily
11-23-2009, 03:02 AM
I dont know why people are listing a GTRS is 300 because a 1.8t engine with a K04 with a soft tune is good for 270+ a K04 hybrid would be good for 300 and then a GTRS would be good for 310-330.

GTRS 300+ at the crank it depends how much you do to the engine that gets you more power i could list a few things ive done even with a 2871r eliminator kit...

Forged Pistons/Rods
High lifted cams (Undecided what to get yet)
Forge Recirculating DV
630cc Siemens Injectors
BOSCH RS4 Fuel Pump
FMOC oil cooler
FMIC BoostBrothers
CM Clutch and Aluminium Flywheel
ATP 3" intake adapter and piping kit
2871r Turbo
THS High flow exhaust manifold
Decat THS pipe
Miltek NON res full system

Thats just for a 2871r Elim not sure on power but the list gets heavy even if you get the GTRS you still going to need quite a few things to get big power.

gmx
11-23-2009, 03:45 AM
I dont know why people are listing a GTRS is 300 because a 1.8t engine with a K04 with a soft tune is good for 270+ a K04 hybrid would be good for 300 and then a GTRS would be good for 310-330.

GTRS 300+ at the crank it depends how much you do to the engine that gets you more power i could list a few things ive done even with a 2871r eliminator kit...

Forged Pistons/Rods
High lifted cams (Undecided what to get yet)
Forge Recirculating DV
630cc Siemens Injectors
BOSCH RS4 Fuel Pump
FMOC oil cooler
FMIC BoostBrothers
CM Clutch and Aluminium Flywheel
ATP 3" intake adapter and piping kit
2871r Turbo
THS High flow exhaust manifold
Decat THS pipe
Miltek NON res full system

Thats just for a 2871r Elim not sure on power but the list gets heavy even if you get the GTRS you still going to need quite a few things to get big power.

link?

A k04-015 with a soft tune will be hard pressed to make over 240-250

A hybrid K04, now that's 275+ as it's more similar to the TT/S3 K04-023.

A GTRS is close to 300 at all wheels. Aka 370-400.

Lowdaily
11-23-2009, 06:21 AM
link?

It all depends on whats done to the engine and tuner how the power is higher than just sticking a turbo on and done. Its about what else you do to it for big power.

PoormansA4
11-23-2009, 11:31 AM
a gtrs is rated at like 350chp, at least thats what it says on ATP's website, and most people usually say if your gonna do rods you might as well just go with a 3076....but ive been curious about a heavily built 2871r

blkaudi98
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
a whole new twist on things....

Well today at work, i had a guy that works a couple doors down come up to me and ask me how much i wanted for my car. I laughed and said are you serious? We got to talking and he is interested in buying my car. I told him i would sell it for the right price.
...and he kept asking me how much?

So im asking you guys, how much can i sell my car for? (im not asking, how much you would buy it for? because i know most of us here are pretty car-smart and know we would want it for cheap)

1998 audi a4 fwd
123,xxx (i know it says 127,xxx on the top...typo)
Black
20% tint
Apr downpipe
Miltek cat-back
Wett. chip
Bilstein shocks/eibach springs
17" MB Italia Rims
Boost Gauge
1-piece headlights
rs4 grill

Bad:

1 rip on driver seat
Avg amount of scratches....it is a 10yr old black car!

Doug@FrankenTurbo
11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
link?

A K04 can't get you much over 200hp to the wheels. Look at this thread. Lots of pertinent info on this topic:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179590

gmx
11-26-2009, 07:08 AM
A K04 can't get you much over 200hp to the wheels. Look at this thread. Lots of pertinent info on this topic:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179590

I didn't say wheel.

GetBoosted84
11-26-2009, 07:49 AM
So you go from wanting a GTRS to wanting a K04 to selling the car? Interesting... [headbang]

blkaudi98
11-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, ive been wanting a GTRS. I understand a ko4 would be much cheaper by the end. But to me a GTRS is what i really want.

I wasnt looking to sell my car, but lets be honest. MOST people would sell there car for the right price.
Ive been looking into getting a new car in the future, because at this point in time, i much rather spend 4-5k on my car. Than 12-18k on a new car.

Whats my car worth...anyone?

PoormansA4
11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
all im going to say is wow, but as for your cars worth check out kbb.com to get a general idea, and in this economy don't be too optimistic

viceprp
11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
1998 audi a4 fwd
123,xxx (i know it says 127,xxx on the top...typo)
Black
20% tint
Apr downpipe
Miltek cat-back
Wett. chip
Bilstein shocks/eibach springs
17" MB Italia Rims
Boost Gauge
1-piece headlights
rs4 grill

Bad:

1 rip on driver seat
Avg amount of scratches....it is a 10yr old black car!

SELL IT and get a 1.8TQM!