PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement

MrPibb
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok, so i've been doing some searching, and i've still got some questions about clutchs.
Most of them are pretty basic, and i know i'll get flamed but maybe someone will be nice enough to help me out here.
Ok so im almost positive my clutch is shot, it still holds and shifting into gear is "difficult" but not hard. While in gear if i mash the gas the RPM's fly up but the speed only increases by like 1-2Mph before it redlines.
If i replace my clutch with an OEM will i need a new Flywheel?
What are a few good brand name clutches, I'd like something that's OEM cause i dont want to replace my Flywheel, any suggestions?

Deep6ed
11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
If you're just doing an oem replacement clutch, you can just get your flywheel resurfaced.

MrPibb
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
If you're just doing an oem replacement clutch, you can just get your flywheel resurfaced.
Well i mean i want to get better then OEM, dont they make one's that are OEM speccs but hold a little better, like a "sport" clutch.

BlackLock_A4
11-17-2009, 03:20 PM
rs4 clutch!!! jk, I dont know anything about clutches, but I will soon be in the market. So I hope people have some good advice for this guy + me.

Also wondering why you want an OEM clutch? Your not thinking about EVER upgrading your car?

Eric

mr.awesome
11-17-2009, 03:34 PM
is it a 2.8 or a 1.8? http://www.ecstuning.com/ they have kits for sale. as well as some other sites.

DUDEFROMRI
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I just put a Clutchmasters FX300 and Billet Steel lightweight flywheel in my B6, and if you plan on doing this yourself. I hope you have a ton of tools, another car to drive, and lots of beer.....

vortexjunkie
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Talked with Mike at Ringer-Racing and was thrilled to find the wealth of knowledge from this guy. they have clutches on there for a reasonable prices that beat out ECS by a lot and he is having a sale on them... here is the link to the thread on Vwvortex.com.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4550098

I myself am going with the stage III which is the FX300 kit with the lightweight STEEL flywheel because on a Quattro a Aluminum flywheel isnt strong enough to hold the stress... Call and talk to him he will point you in the right direction...here is the number 951-440-3540 and he is on the West coast so take the time change into account

+++ Rep Points for Me?

skian
11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I got the Southbend stg4 clutch with the steel flywheel. You can get it without the flywheel if you select the clutch designed for a dual mass flywheel. It holds real solid but still drivable as a dd. Its heavier than stock, but you could go with the stg 3 which supposedly isn't heavier peddle feel than stock.

BlackLock_A4
11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I just put a Clutchmasters FX300 and Billet Steel lightweight flywheel in my B6, and if you plan on doing this yourself. I hope you have a ton of tools, another car to drive, and lots of beer.....

Definitely have that! [up]

Thanks guys, I will do some research on those sites.

Eric

MrPibb
11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm looking for a quick fix just to get the car back on the road, I'm not looking to upgrade my flywheel, cause that looks like it moves the package up to almost a grand.
I just need a clutch that will replace my stock without support mods and addons because i dont have the cash for that right now.
It's a 1.8T Quattro.

vortexjunkie
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Clutchmasters fx300 without the flywheel... its like 590.00

MrPibb
11-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Awesome thank you.

geeky
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
I went with an OEM Valeo replacement setup that replaces the Dual Mass Flywheel for a single mass flywheel and apparently it holds better than stock. It came with new hardware, new pilot bearing, etc. the only thing you'll need to purchase on top of that is the clutch alignment tool. I believe I paid $450 for my setup.

Now when I say that it holds better than stock, don't be expecting to do dry launches from a stand still etc.

but here is a link of the review I had posted

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301979

b5andm3
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I paid 600 shipped for my clutchmasters fx400 6 puck. Perfect combo for the street. Its still pretty much on/off though.

biketsai
11-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I got the FX400 kit from Mike at Ringer-Racing, I am very happy with the product and his service, great prices

MrPibb
11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Could someone link me Mike's racing site? I know it's Ringer racing or something like that but i cant seem to find it.

frameshift18
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Could someone link me Mike's racing site? I know it's Ringer racing or something like that but i cant seem to find it.

http://www.ringer-racing.com/

flynnr
11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
since we are on the topic... i have a few questions

(i am going elim turbo soon, have evoms fmic, atp high flow elim mani, and aftermarket DP / exhaust, so i hope to be putting down 275 to the wheels at best...)

1) will the fx300 hold up to 275 for more than 20k miles?
2) since they are the same price, would it be smarter to go with the fx400 since it holds 170% over stock as opposed to the fx300 only having 110%,
3) if you answered yes to question 2, would i loose a lot of ease of use/ smoothness? (will be my DD obviously)
4) there are 3 options for the fx400 (8 pad, 6 puck, 4 puck) what is the difference?

RockyMountainB5
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
If you are looking for clutches, you should also check out South Bend Clutches.
http://www.southbendclutch.com/
The website sux - if you want to order you should call.
Cheaper than ClutchMasters, but the same thing.
Try a lighter flywheel. SBC sells a 20lb steel one - the OEM is 22 (i think).

MrPibb
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Hmmm, does anyone know exactly what goes into resurfacing a flywheel?

Oceanside
11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
They lock down the flywheel to a spinning plate and then a blade cuts a very small layer off the top of the flywheel face as it spins

MrPibb
11-20-2009, 11:29 PM
They lock down the flywheel to a spinning plate and then a blade cuts a very small layer off the top of the flywheel face as it spins

Oh cool. So all you'd really need is a CNC machine.
Epic so that means i dont need to pay for that.

GypsySmash
01-24-2010, 01:32 PM
since we are on the topic... i have a few questions

(i am going elim turbo soon, have evoms fmic, atp high flow elim mani, and aftermarket DP / exhaust, so i hope to be putting down 275 to the wheels at best...)

1) will the fx300 hold up to 275 for more than 20k miles?
2) since they are the same price, would it be smarter to go with the fx400 since it holds 170% over stock as opposed to the fx300 only having 110%,
3) if you answered yes to question 2, would i loose a lot of ease of use/ smoothness? (will be my DD obviously)
4) there are 3 options for the fx400 (8 pad, 6 puck, 4 puck) what is the difference?

Can anyone address these questions?
I pretty much want to know the same exact thing

donraja84
01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I changed my clutch about three weeks ago, and wanted the exact same thing you want. You should pm mike-2ptzero. He can get you a deal on the south bend clutches. I went for the basic south bend Stage I clutch because I don't want see me increasing the power of the car beyond chipping it. I, like you, wanted to use the stock flywheel which is dual mass. Apparently if you choose to go with a flywheel that isn't, you get some amount of chatter - which i did not want. Mike will sell you just the clutch, pressure plate, bolts and alignment tool.

There is some misinformation out there about machining dual mass flywheels. A lot of people say it can't be done. That's nonsense. Mike assured me that it can be done, and infact, my local Audi dealership said they just have them machined (not replaced). I had the dealership put in the clutch for me and this is exactly what they did.

So far the clutch is amazing. No slipping at all with really aggressive driving. I definitely recommend it over the OEM clutch. Highly recommend you go this route. PM me if you have any questions.

b5andm3
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I got the FX400 kit from Mike at Ringer-Racing, I am very happy with the product and his service, great prices

Same. You can' beat mike's prices

JEmm
01-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I got the ecs stage 1 and I'm happy with it [up]

No complaints so far at all.

b5andm3
01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I got the ecs stage 1 and I'm happy with it [up]

No complaints so far at all.

I guess thats good if you're not going any bigger then a k04

GR-RALLYE
01-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I changed my clutch about three weeks ago, and wanted the exact same thing you want. You should pm mike-2ptzero. He can get you a deal on the south bend clutches. I went for the basic south bend Stage I clutch because I don't want see me increasing the power of the car beyond chipping it. I, like you, wanted to use the stock flywheel which is dual mass. Apparently if you choose to go with a flywheel that isn't, you get some amount of chatter - which i did not want. Mike will sell you just the clutch, pressure plate, bolts and alignment tool.

There is some misinformation out there about machining dual mass flywheels. A lot of people say it can't be done. That's nonsense. Mike assured me that it can be done, and infact, my local Audi dealership said they just have them machined (not replaced). I had the dealership put in the clutch for me and this is exactly what they did.

So far the clutch is amazing. No slipping at all with really aggressive driving. I definitely recommend it over the OEM clutch. Highly recommend you go this route. PM me if you have any questions.

Its not that they can't be machined its that a lot of shops dont have the equipment to do it.. Southbend will do it for you, you just have to ship yours out to them.

Gypsy - having a fx400 I would hate to use it as a DD I can't stand having to drive in traffic with it. But I didnt know clutchmasters had a 8pad one? I would get that, the 6 puck will bite hard and the 4 puck will grab even harder

JEmm
01-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess thats good if you're not going any bigger then a k04

Eh I'm really not. And if I do go more power than a k04 it would be a swap and I would get a new clutch anyway. Gonna go low and slow for a little while [:D]

Kyle H
01-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Gypsy - having a fx400 I would hate to use it as a DD I can't stand having to drive in traffic with it. But I didnt know clutchmasters had a 8pad one? I would get that, the 6 puck will bite hard and the 4 puck will grab even harder

I have a chipped k03 with the 6-puck fx400 and 16lb fw and DD it just fine in San Diego traffic. I've driven through LA traffic twice and it wasn't really a big deal. It gets kind of annoying on steep hills from a stop, but other than that it is fine.