PDA

View Full Version : Tips for timing belt change

Quattrocket
01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Im about to tackle my timing belt soon, does anybody have any tips for me? things to watch out for do's and donts, etc. this is my first time doing a TB myself. Also, why is it a belt and not a chain??? wut up wit dat!

timdtracey
01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Best Tip: Get the ultimate timing kit from ECS and a factory water pump gasket. The gasket supplied with the replacement pump is total junk. The factory gasket is aluminum with a silicone bonded to the outer edge to seal. This helps the gasket keep it's shape when tightening WP bolts. The aftermarket gasket is some flimsy rubber thing and no matter how careful you are to evenly torque the pump, it still ends up squirting out the sides of the pump flange.

Second best tip: Follow the write-up on AW and you will have no problems.

Also, get G12 coolant from dealer and mix with distilled water. You will only need one gallon if you mix 50:50 with water. Don't even think about reusing coolant!

The trickiest part of this job is installing the new thermostat and gasket. If you are patient it will work out fine. I used an extremely thin layer of silicone to hold the gasket while installing and it went much easier.

I also did an APR snub when I did the TB. It is the best time to do it and it makes a world of difference when it comes to drivability. Shifting action is greatly improved and the on/off throttle surge is all but eliminated.

As for the chain versus belt debate: The reason most manufacturers use a belt is to reduce noise. If our cars had chains they'd sound as if they had roots blowers on them. The other, maybe even more important reason, is cost. Another benefit of the belt is that it is lighter weight and thus robs less engine power to rotate equaling more power to the wheels!

I'm actually impressed with the Audi timing setup. It is well engineered for serviceability. Just look how many entry level mechanics have done this in their own garages. I did a timing belt on a honda and it was a nightmare compared.

pigpen
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Take pictures as you go along.. not for posting online or showing, but for reference.. so you can remember how it looked and where things go before it all comes apart.

G-low
01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
i 2nd the pictures deff. comes in handy

Wholsea
01-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Put all of your bolts in one place.

Audi did an awesome job using different bolts for EVERYTHING, Parts don't go back on without the right bolts/screws... So you know for sure everything went back in the right place.

Also, MARK THE TEETH on your belt.

I marked the belt at the timing mark on the cam sprocket, and two places on the crank. Count the teeth and mark the new belt in the same place.

Once you have the new belt on, turn the motor clockwise (Use a large socket on the crank and turn clockwise) to check for interferience....

I've done two 1.8ts and a 30v V6. Its a piece of cake.

The hardest thing on the B5 is getting the damned bumper off!

alen
01-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Yes, the bumper might give you hard time, but be patient and it will come off. Put your parts and screws in order so you know what needs to go where and when. Remember where your horns go (if you take them off) because I had a hard time putting them back on and I did it when I put the bumper back on.

The two tech articles available on AW should be helpfull enough that you should do the whole thing w/o any problems. Just make sure you have all the tools and that will make your job so much easier.

fridge
01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I did my seals why i did my timing belt. It's a good idea to replace em so u won't have to deal with leaky seals for a long time.

OUTKASTBIL
01-08-2005, 10:01 PM
i did my clutch on my nissan, and there was alot of bolts...heres a good tip...instead of keeping the bolts in on spot of the garage or box or whatever, get a alot of zip lock bags and a sharpie...its alot easier when its all labeld instead of looking at 2 boxes of bolts that look the same.

Wholsea
01-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by OUTKASTBIL
i did my clutch on my nissan, and there was alot of bolts...heres a good tip...instead of keeping the bolts in on spot of the garage or box or whatever, get a alot of zip lock bags and a sharpie...its alot easier when its all labeld instead of looking at 2 boxes of bolts that look the same.

That look the same? Heheehehe, yeah labeling them would be a good idea as well...

But like I said, each part is put on with different bolts. Some use allen style bolts, some have 10mm bolts, some have bigger, some have smaller. Its strange, but it all works out. No two parts go on with the same bolts.