PDA

View Full Version : Been searching for hours. More turbo Questions...

EuroDriven
11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok so I have been searching for a while. I have alot more to get for the turbo set up then I thought. I am looking at using the GT2871 w/ext wg and .82 a/r

1) oil/coolant feed/return lines. Are rubber hoses ok to start with to get the car rolling with everything in?

2) if so what fittings would I need? where do I get them from.

3) How do I choose a wg? I have been told a certain kit comes with a tial 38 mm 1bar. How do you choose size and pressure?

4) whats vband?

5) whats wrong with the spa Mani?I have been told a few bad things. are there cheaper alternatives?

6) What is a dump tube?

7) how/where do I get a dp from? I am not sure what the whole deal is with the flange/fitment.

8) when can I expect boost to start kicking in strong? (ball park? I know it depends on alot of parts)

Thanks![hail] AZ

b6_quattro
11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
sounds like you should just buy a turbo kit.http://shop.dthaus.com/product.sc?productId=221

Stone825
11-15-2009, 02:12 PM
sounds like you should just buy a turbo kit.http://shop.dthaus.com/product.sc?productId=221

Yep

EuroDriven
11-15-2009, 02:13 PM

I was looking at them but wanted to see how cheap it could get it done for. For example if rubber hoses would be fine I could use them until I get more money for stainless because I am assuming the fittings would be cheap and I could easily sell them to a friend once done. This is also my first time doing this, but I dont want a elim kit.

-John

stevejones19
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
i don't own a turbo car but for my reading and research, the elim kit would be more than perfect for someone in your position. Since you don't SEEM to be a mechanic, there are A LOT of small little things that come with kit's that you may not think about when parting your own stuff together.

Soi'm sure more ppl will come in with more experience and explain it a lot better. But simply put, GET the elim kit. It's everything you'll need

b6_quattro
11-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I think rubber is a bad idea because of how close the return lines are the the exhaust manifold. lines aren't much anyway. what are you power goals and spending limits.

Seerlah
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
People will tell you it is much easier to just purchase a kit already peiced together by one of the many vendors whom make kits. Jake has one of the nicest kits out right now (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311019). There are other kits, such as the ATP kit, 034 kit, CTS kit, etc.

Rubber hoses are not used for the oil lines. Not even the stock turbo lines are as such. The coolant hose will be rubber, though. And it would be way easier to purchase an oil and coolant line kit with gaskets, adapters, and fittings for like $300. You can always resell the kit later on for $200-$250, as those resell rather easy.

You actually need to do some more researching. I searched for a long time, teaching myself, and am still undecided on what route I want to take when I have funds to support the dream. But you need to learn the basics. Most things can be better answered by your tuner. But things you should know about (or learn about) are flanges (V-band is a type of flange), difference between manifolds, difference between tunes, etc. With a custom setup, things would need to be fabricated. That is why it is easier to just purchase a kit that comes with downpipes (ATP, DW Garage, 034, etc all have downpipes for their kits). Dump tube is the routing of the exhaust gases from the wastegate. You can have an open dump which routes it to underneath the vehicle, or you can have it routed into the downpipe.

Here is the basics of a custom turbo kit:

You have the exhaust manifold (flanges determine factors), turbo charger (options on the turbo changes factors), custom intake, intercooler (piping depends on where the turbo will be located, which depends on what manifold you choose), oil and coolant lines, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, fuel pump if necessary, custom downpipe (kits usually have downpipes that are already fabricated for them), custom exhaust system, gauges (boost and A/F ratio are the minimum), clutch, gaskets, bolts, fittings, and tune. Then there are supporting mods.

lowandslow4now
11-15-2009, 03:37 PM
I think you first have to set a goal. How much power you are looking for and what you will be using the car for DD, drag, autocross,etc. Then come up with a budget. Once you have your budget add 50 percent to it. There are alot of good kits out there right now from budget to all out race. As for your questions

1. I would not cheap out on oil lines. If you buy a premade turbo kit it will usually come with all the hardware.
2. Answered ^
3.Depending on what you manifold you go with you will choose a WG. Spa mani 38mm
4.Vband is a type of flange that is used as an easy way to bolt and unbolt exhaust parts. Rather than use bolts to tighten the flange. the 2 flanges come together and are clamped together with a vband clamp.
5.I haven't heard of anything bad with the SPA manifold. I run one and I have not had an issue with it. I have over 5k miles on my setup.
6.Dump tube Seerlah answered that one.
7.Downpipe. depending on what setup you use you can probably buy one from one of the vendors or have one custom made.
8.Depends on your setup it varies by turbo and a/r size.
I hope I was able to help.

Jake39454
11-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Ok so I have been searching for a while. I have alot more to get for the turbo set up then I thought. I am looking at using the GT2871 w/ext wg and .82 a/r

1) oil/coolant feed/return lines. Are rubber hoses ok to start with to get the car rolling with everything in? Don't suggest it but if you must... Quality rubber for coolant feed and oil return only, oil feed is too high pressure and coolant return is too close to the manifold

2) if so what fittings would I need? where do I get them from. Depends on your turbo choice

3) How do I choose a wg? I have been told a certain kit comes with a tial 38 mm 1bar. How do you choose size and pressure? 1 bar sounds good for you

4) whats vband? Sooo much better than studs that can break or flanges to leak, see this link http://www.pacificp.com/store/images/V_band_flange-Store_display.jpg

5) whats wrong with the spa Mani?I have been told a few bad things. are there cheaper alternatives? Casting is pretty low quality, sucks to put on and you need to modify the bottom studs/grind manifold to fit middle studs. Last but not least, GT turbos short CHRA makes the return line very shady, I was worried for my 35R's life the entire time I ran that manifold. I'm moving on to Vband now [up]

6) What is a dump tube? Wastegate dump tube

7) how/where do I get a dp from? I am not sure what the whole deal is with the flange/fitment. You get a downpipe with a kit, every kit is different

8) when can I expect boost to start kicking in strong? (ball park? I know it depends on alot of parts) 2871R .82 is a stupid setup, I would much rather you run a .63 3071R. But regardless, the setup you want should hit 20psi around 4500rpm

Thanks![hail] AZ

My .02 [;)]

A4Rob
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Sent you a PM back John.

-Rob

EuroDriven
11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Few things...

I don't really want the elim kit because I have been convinced its almost just as cheap to go with the full frame setup.

I would love this to be as cheap as possible but money really doesn't matter. I have enough of it to put on any setup while keeping goals reasonable.

I want as stated many times in earlier threads my goals is to be able to hit 350 chp.

I am a mechanic and very well with tools. I am sure I have as much if not as much tool training as many people here. I have been trained in a full machine shop, cnc mill/lathe and turn style bridgeports. Almost every hand tool imaginable. Spent 5 years building precision robots. I may not seem like a mechanic but I just need info. I dont see anywhere I can run to and see that oil is too hot to run through rubber. I have been searching alot.

I have no real strong opposition to an elim, mainly just have the lack of expanability in my eyes. If someone wants to post an argument for this I am willing to listen.

I have been looking at kits such as from DW who posted in this thread, but have that kit, plus things like injectors and the MAF, and intake, fuel pump, fpr, tuen and intercooler, and ic piping. So for this said setup it is looking to run about $5000. I am no expert but it seems expensive for what seems to be such a simple, basic setup. Or is this sticker shock since i am migrating from subaru?

thoughts? suggestions?

-John

Lou_B5
11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
As DW mentioned, 3071 moar betta.

EuroDriven
11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
As DW mentioned, 3071 moar betta.

I am speaking to a4rob about his [:d] [hail] BAT

Jake39454
11-15-2009, 07:08 PM
My T25 3071 was probably my favorite turbo I've had on my A4. I'm sure the T3 version will spool a bit slower and make some more top end, but should be just as fun [up]

H8URV8
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
If your good at fabing stuff up or know someone who can hook you up go for it. Peiceing a kit together is cheaper but getting it all to fit together is a different story. Having a shop fab up a downpipe and charge pipes etc could get expensive which is why its sometimes easier to just buy a complete kit

A4Rob
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I am speaking to a4rob about his [:d] [hail] BAT

[:p] Agreed with Jake. The 3071 is an awesome setup. Since I am not DD'ing my A4 anymore I am going bigger. Boost is like crack.

Sales@RAI
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey man, I'd say 5k is reasonable for a turbo setup, you can squeeze rods in there for an extra $1k if you do it yourself

EuroDriven
11-15-2009, 09:12 PM
How low did you build boost with the .63 a/r?

A4Rob
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
How low did you build boost with the .63 a/r?

Mine?
3500 full boost roughly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvYJ8NWeQwA