PDA

View Full Version : I want it LOUDER!!!!!

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Alright. So I installed my Forge SPLT-R last night and I am happy with it, BUT, want it louder [:D].

Tonight I am ordering my Eurodyne/Ctapp Software[hail]. So my boost levels will be pushed up to around 18lbs and I was just curious, would more boost make the blow off louder?

Also I have a bad T-stat should I fix that before I turn up the boost? basically will that cause avoidable damage? or can I get by for now. The car just doesn't get to twelve o'clock. I don't give it any boost untill the car gets 1/3 the way up but... I guess I should just do the tstat. [headbang]

Roupin
11-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Mount it closer to the turbo if you want a louder blow off valve.

andyrew
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Not enough of a difference for what you want.

You going to do a different intake like we told you earlier or you going to continue to try and do your own thing again?[>_<]

It can only be heard through the intake, the stock box barely makes any noise.. Either go custom intake or cut some big holes in the bottom/front of your stock box.

andyrew
11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Mount it closer to the turbo if you want a louder blow off valve.

Ignore him....

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Ignore him....
lol.. so with the splitter 70% circulation and 30% bov... the blow off is heard through the intake... wierd I don't see that lol. Well as I think you know I am going BT in 8-12 months so spending 300 on an intake is dumb so I might just have to settle for how the splitter is for now.

I just thought there might be some other horn I could put on inplace of the one that came with the splitter or something to get it to speak up, I wanna hear it over my radio!

thanks for the input!

bandit
11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
if you want it to sound like a bov....buy a bov

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I love the sound i just want it louder... and to lose all the pressure when I can keep 70% just seems retarded.

thanks for the comment though

Seerlah
11-12-2009, 07:12 PM
if you want it to sound like a bov....buy a bov

lol

To the OP, just do a custom intake. As people told you before, it is rather pointless unless you want to hear the dv. Which in this case, you do. I read that it does increase your gas mileage, though.

Stone825
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Okay you know what I'll be the first one to say this. The B5 A4 forum is slightly turning into a "ricer" area. I don't care if you all down rep me I'm just observing. You pretty much want a loud BOV that does nothing.

a. Audi's aren't supposed to have BOV's
b. When you actually NEED a BOV it's acceptable (for those running 450hp+ custom builds).

Seerlah
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
^I will not negative rep you, but you are wrong. The majority of us like to mod our vehicle conservatively with applications meant for the B5 A4. There are a few whom come from other scenes whom have old habits that follow. Hence, the yearn for a BOV. I myself run a Forge 007 and will upgrade to a BOV when I have funds to support a BT application (and by BT, I mean GT3xxx series). I even still run the srock airbox, and mod with taste. Well, try at least.

andyrew
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
lol.. so with the splitter 70% circulation and 30% bov... the blow off is heard through the intake... wierd I don't see that lol. Well as I think you know I am going BT in 8-12 months so spending 300 on an intake is dumb so I might just have to settle for how the splitter is for now.

I just thought there might be some other horn I could put on inplace of the one that came with the splitter or something to get it to speak up, I wanna hear it over my radio!

thanks for the input!

Mmmkay, then cut a freeking hole in your airbox.

Seriously, get a drill and a 2" holesaw. Start drilling till the front of the box is swiss cheeze. Then test it out. It cant do anything negative to your car.

Dont like it? Duct tape the holes.

1NaudiA4
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Really what is a louder BOV/DV going to do other than make it SEEM like your car is faster when it really isnt?

If you want a louder BOV you should buy a civic with a huge wing and altezzas to go with it.

Nebone
11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
If you want it loud, buy my 2.5" GHL exhaust. PM me if you are interested.

.Mad Hatter.
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Really what is a louder BOV/DV going to do other than make it SEEM like your car is faster when it really isnt?

If you want a louder BOV you should buy a civic with a huge wing and altezzas to go with it.

dude are you serious? if a civic has a BOV it means its faster than 90% of the A4s on this board, dont be ignorant.

OP, you need to realize that our cars are well insulated, and you will never hear it over your radio. it is however, louder outside the car than you think. drive through a tunnel with your windows down and try it out.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
lol wo wo wo... Easy there guys I just like the sound lol. No need to go hatred on my ass.

I have searched around and ~75% of the people that do the swiss cheese mod say they regret it because it isnt practical and you have to avoid puddles like its Compton... So I am kind of hesitant to go that route.

I like the sound outside the car its loud enough to be make me happy, but inside its quiet. Wish I could drill holes in my firewall lmfao would never do that but wish I could.

But should I change my tstat before I turn up the boost or is it not really going to change that much jsut turnin up the boost

.Mad Hatter.
11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
i would do it anyway.

Seerlah
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
If you your thermostat needs to be replaced, change it anyways.

Edit: unorthadoxa4 beat me to it

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
oh btw I am buying an INTEGRA or 98-99 hatch(some nice ones in my area for under $4,000) and plan on using it as a DD cuz they are gods on gas milage, but I'm keeping the a4 for winter.

then prolly buy an old chevy and put a ls2 in it :)

I plan on wasting a lot of money on my cars, but all come after the audi

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
i would do it anyway.
I know...... I'm just so damn annoyed. It's below 50 degrees and I don't have a heated garage. When i work on my car there is no room so I have to leave the garage door open. And I am gonna get collllllddddddd. Lol I am being the ultimate protagonist on the tstat. Plus I gotta buy more tools that I will prolly never use again.

I am just complaining lol I need to just shut up & do it. Maybe Monday. I work thrusday- sunday 230-11pm

.Mad Hatter.
11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
t stat should take like an hour man

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I am plannin on flushing the radiator at the same time

andyrew
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I have searched around and ~75% of the people that do the swiss cheese mod say they regret it because it isnt practical and you have to avoid puddles like its Compton... So I am kind of hesitant to go that route.

Those people are idiots. What do you think water injection is?

All your possibly doing is splashing water ON your filter. Which if you cut the front of your airbox (and not the bottom) you physically CANT do that.

There is NO harm in doing this mod. Honestly.

Besides what are you going to do when you go BT? Keep the stock filter? I dont think so.

Stop being a pansy, seriously.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Stop being a pansy, seriously.

lmfao I like your attitude! [up]

Seerlah
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.rapidparts.com/prod/INTKA418T00-Evolution-Motorsports-Cold-Air-Intake-Audi-A4-B5-01-18T/2571/
http://www.lltek.com/aik_a4_B5.htm

Or build your own custom intake. Heat sheild is important.

SpeedWorksAuto
11-12-2009, 08:59 PM
When I switched up my intake, cone filter, I could hear the STOCK diverter hissing away really good inside the car. ALso you can run a line directly from the intake mani and bypass the n249 and get a bit more responsiveness out of it.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Well as I think you know I am going BT in 8-12 months so spending 300 on an intake is dumb

i would but it would be poinltess

SpeedWorksAuto
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
cone filter costedme like 45ish....and I am still using it w/BT

andyrew
11-12-2009, 09:08 PM
How? You realize that you can just put a cone filter right on the MAF and be done, right? Oh and you can use that cone filter for the BT...

Yes you will need a heatshield. You dont have one yet? Im using the same heatshield I used on my stock turbo as my GT28RS.

Coopa
11-12-2009, 09:12 PM
My gawd this is heated..

Don't fret about it. Louder just makes you sound fast. Odds are, you'll get sick of it after a few months. If you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk. (i know..terrible quote) When you go big turbo, keep it sleeper! It'll catch everyone off guard.

SpeedWorksAuto
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
yup, what andrew said^ same thing I did....easy as pie.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I didn't know. I thought I would have to fab something up so why spend money twice. But it's the same heatshield and cone filter as K03 app as a hta35r app might as well do it now :P

andyrew
11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
It took us HOW long for us to convince you?

GAWD!

I predict 2 weeks later "I love the cone filter!! I cant believe how big a difference a proper heat shield makes! Its like night and day! I put my hand on the exhaust side and im burning up, but on the intake side its almost ambient! WOW! EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A HEAT SHIELD!"

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:28 PM
It took us HOW long for us to convince you?

GAWD!

I predict 2 weeks later "I love the cone filter!! I cant believe how big a difference a proper heat shield makes! Its like night and day! I put my hand on the exhaust side and im burning up, but on the intake side its almost ambient! WOW! EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A HEAT SHIELD!"
lmfao I love this guy!!

Seerlah
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Ideally, you would want your filter inlet (any piping/turbong associated) and MAF to be the same size. When going BT with a MAF, you want the same size on compressor inlet, piping/tubing, MAF, and filter inlet.

You could always do a custom intake with a 2.75" MAF now (2.75" filter inlet), and slap that onto your compressor of your BT with a 2.75" to 3" reducer on a MAFless tune (or would that be 4"). Would I recommend it? No. Can it be done? Yes.

cdowns13
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
this will cost around 80$ and you will def get a louder sound without having to change much and run the risk of getting water in there..
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2507093
i have a aftermarket dv but not a splitter, it is decently loud (not obnoxious) but loud enough for me without going to a splitter.. but it is a VERY noticeable difference.. the best diy intake mod out there i think with out cutting holes into anything..

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 09:38 PM
this with the stock dv is almost too loud haha trust me just shut up and do it you wont regret it
http://i34.tinypic.com/5cktt.jpg

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought when you go bat the only tune that is any good is a mafless tune.

So as of right now I am planning on getting a heat shield and just a cone to throw on the maf, Then worst case scenario I have to buy a new cone when I go bat?

$45 isn't anything I am going to worry about. As long as I get to reuse the heat shield then it's a done deal I will order tomorrow.

Only thing I am concerned about is I don't have a belly pan, would that make a difference? I just can see that filter getting dirty alot and needing cleaned/replaced like every 3 months.

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
i dont have my belly pan on right now... havent for a month or so but i plan on throwing t on before winter... or maybe its just time for a skid plate [:D]

1NaudiA4
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Im using the same heatshield I used on my stock turbo as my GT28RS

You upgraded to a RS Andrew? I thought APR didn't make software for the NDBW's?

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Alright, so plan is order heat shield. monday- tstat & flush radiator and buy cone intake filter, then whever heatshield arrives put it on. It's gonna be so cold!!!!

discontained
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Here you go soundspeedstyle.. K&N Cone filter, 15lbs of boost, almost stock everything else.. damn that was along time ago, anywho. this is what mine sounded like on the stock DV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3io-IwIDpfQ

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 10:38 PM
^^^ thats what mine sounds like

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
i cant check it out rite now i am at work but i will in 20 mins when im off :>

B5turbo
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Dont like it? Duct tape the holes.

[headbang] fail in the making [down] dont do it [headbang]

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM

whats wrong with that? dont we all use duct tape to fix our audis? [:D] haha thats the worst idea ive ever heard [confused]

cdowns13
11-12-2009, 11:21 PM
make sure you order the breather tube and not just the cone filter
and that's what mine sounds like too in the vid.. surprised the camera picked that up!

b5andm3
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8tEmjqaO0

That is before my BT upgrade.

SpeedWorksAuto
11-13-2009, 01:13 AM
I have never seen a heatshield like that w/intake on BT. GL with that. Lucky just to fit the intake in there.

Seerlah
11-13-2009, 04:33 AM
I thought when you go bat the only tune that is any good is a mafless tune.

No. There are MAF tunes and MAFless tunes for the wideband (AWM+). The MAFless tunes are just simple as it cancels out the most difficult thing it comes to when trying to make a nice idle, cause no misfires, etc. People would say that MAF tunes are better (for precise load calculations), but MAFless tunes are just waayy much easier. If you look at the build threads of individuals, the most annoying part is making a custom intake setup. Making proper bends that fit, having proper flow, and proper location of the MAF can be a task when there is little to no room to work with.

I was the one that mentioned that you would need to do a whole other intake setup when you go BT. Which is true, because you would more than likely have a 3" or 4" compressor inlet. I made that comment before I realised you would be going MAFless. But since you are going MAFless on a BT tune later, and want your current dv to be more audibile, then do a custom setup now with a heat sheild. Then when you get your MAFless tune, just sell your custom intake setup, slap on a new different sized filter matching the compressor inlet of the turbo charger, and call it a day. As I stated, you ideally want everything to be the same size when it comes to an intake.

andyrew
11-13-2009, 08:01 AM

You dont trust the allmightly power of duck tape? [>_<]

Actually i've done it before, and as long as you cover as much as you can (like the whole box) and overlap its pretty much good.

SpeedWorksAuto
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I am using the same filter with my GT3071r that I did when I was k03s. You dont have to buy-sell-buy, unless you get a compressor housing that has a really big intake.