PDA

View Full Version : Attempted to tint tail lights... Help?

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
So I plan on Getting Black LED tail lights later but for now I thought I would tint my stock ones.

The tint I bought is for headlights/tail lights. It says it is to be applied dry. Well I just tried it four times and each time there were 5-7 bubbles....

Any one have any ideas on how to avoid this?!?!

I used a "squeegee" and a blowdryer.. no success.

It looks really good besides the bubbles and would really appreciate some advice so I can get this job done!

Thanks!

lowandslow4now
11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
you can try to clean them first. there may be some small amounts of dirt still on them causing your bubling.

andyrew
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Start by applying it wet to the headlight, use a heat gun to get the tint to shape properly as well as a squeege. Let it dry in the sun to retain its shape. Peal it off and clean everything properly. Use a little water and some soap and squeegie it on. Start from the center and work your way out.

Good luck! Might want to just spray them.. (tinting spray.. not paint)

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally I was going to do it like i tint everything else... A good cleaning... 2 sprays of windex then squeege out the windex. and use a blow dryer on it for 5 mins. Then let it sit for an hour and bam works perfect... Stupid a$$ instructions told me to apply it dry.

Well I ordered some more. If it turns out bubbly again ima say Fl_lCK it and get some spray. The tint is so perfect though lol I really want it to work. This time I am doing it my way god damnit lol

I was just wondering if anyone else knew a way.

xdewaynex
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
VHT Nite Shades is what everyone around my area uses. Its a spray tint, and you can pick up at most parts stores.

discontained
11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I used window tint to do mine previously. I took em off ..

Here is how i did mine.. Start by removing the light assembly from the car, cut the tint to length. Before peeling the protective film from the glued side, use the heat gun and mold the tint to the shape of the light.
Next use baby shampoo diluted well. Spray the tail light generously apply the tint and use the squeege to apply the tint on, working from the center out. Use the heat gun to mold it to fit.

If you have bubbles what I did was use a small sewing needle and poped them very carefully and let the air/solution drain out. Then heat gunned it to seal it up

Stand back and enjoy ( and post pix!)

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I used window tint to do mine previously. I took em off ..

Here is how i did mine.. Start by removing the light assembly from the car, cut the tint to length. Before peeling the protective film from the glued side, use the heat gun and mold the tint to the shape of the light.
Next use baby shampoo diluted well. Spray the tail light generously apply the tint and use the squeege to apply the tint on, working from the center out. Use the heat gun to mold it to fit.

If you have bubbles what I did was use a small sewing needle and poped them very carefully and let the air/solution drain out. Then heat gunned it to seal it up

Stand back and enjoy ( and post pix!)
I will try again when the shipment gets in. I did Center out but my dad said start at the edge... I knew that was wrong lol. I after I give it a go with windex and paint my trunk rings black I will post pix [:)]

why did you remove it?

discontained
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
to much black in the back. I used to have tinted windows (10%) and tinted lights on a black car. Didnt like the look after a week, so i pulled my tint off the car .. windows and all, the red adds a nice contrast

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I wish I would have bought a black a4 [:(] I would smoke tails headlights, black out everything... black rotors, calipers, wheels EVERYTHING lol. I love that look

biketsai
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe just tint the white part.

tar
11-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Your cars silver just do some tasteful black mods. black wheels, roof, tint and rings if you must it will look really good. taillights are overkill in my opinion unless they are lightly smoked.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
this is my goal

CF hood, Black roof, CF trunk, Tinted Tails, Black Wheels, Black Calipers, Black rotors

tar
11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Too much in my opinion, But its your car and your money do what makes you happy.[up]

JEmm
11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
this is my goal

CF hood, Black roof, CF trunk, Tinted Tails, Black Wheels, Black Calipers, Black rotors

I like how that sounds. Has anyone painted the little part under the taillight black too? Or wrap it in cf? I mean, obviously only if you have a cf/black trunk... Oooorrrrr, paint the bottom of the trunk silver on a cf trunk (under the little ridge where the bottom of the taillight is)? Wondering if anyone has done it and has pics [:D] Could look absolutely brutal, would just like to see it...

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
one thing I have been realllllly tempted to try is...

CF;
Hood, front bumper, Fenders, all doors.

Paint the middle of the cf hood silver, leave the roof, trunk and rear quarter panels silver. But i want to photoshop it first before i spend $2,000 on doors lol

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
i wanna tint just the reverse light portion of my tail lights... anyone done this?

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I would use spray... Tape off the rest. I dont think that tint would turn out verywell in that case.

I wanted to do that in my civic but didn't get around to it before it was stolen.

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
haha im glad your civic got stolen [:D]

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
ass lol... I JUST got rid of the turbo kit for that thing 2 weeks ago and I still am finding parts for it... OH and I have NSX seats in my room now because I have no honda to put them in!!!!!!!!

Can't sell the seats to save my life, Part of the reason why I am considering buying another lol

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
haha sorry i just hate hondas.... nothing against them its just personal opinion... they run forever and they are great cars but just look at it haha id much rather get into my $5k audi than a honda any day.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
5k.. i hate u lol 7.7k stock [headbang]

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
5k stock 119k miles... but i got a 98... and then another 2-2500 when i wrecked it... and that was right after i got the hood and bumpers painted

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
alright that makes me feel a tiny bit better lol

ThatA4T
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
haha [headbang] so i basically paid 7500 for a 98 with a blue hood and bumper haha but it was worth re building it for sure

cdowns13
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally I was going to do it like i tint everything else... A good cleaning... 2 sprays of windex then squeege out the windex. and use a blow dryer on it for 5 mins. Then let it sit for an hour and bam works perfect... Stupid a$$ instructions told me to apply it dry.

Well I ordered some more. If it turns out bubbly again ima say Fl_lCK it and get some spray. The tint is so perfect though lol I really want it to work. This time I am doing it my way god damnit lol

I was just wondering if anyone else knew a way.

dont use windex, the alcohol in it causes it not to stick as well.. use baby shampoo and water (told that is the best) but dish soap works very well too..

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
dont use windex, the alcohol in it causes it not to stick as well.. use baby shampoo and water (told that is the best) but dish soap works very well too..

thanks for the input didnt realize that! appreciate it!

4ringAR
11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
this is my goal

black rotors, eh?[rolleyes]

what happened to this forum....

and yea, dont use windex on your tinted windows, it will cause them to bubble. so using windex immediately before applying the tint to the taillights is definantly not going to be beneficial.

soundspeedstyle
11-12-2009, 10:21 PM
adams rotors :)

A4 Jarrid
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
There is a lot of judging going on in this forum lol dish soap and water for the win

DS1LLAR1
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
So I plan on Getting Black LED tail lights later but for now I thought I would tint my stock ones.

The tint I bought is for headlights/tail lights. It says it is to be applied dry. Well I just tried it four times and each time there were 5-7 bubbles....

Any one have any ideas on how to avoid this?!?!

I used a "squeegee" and a blowdryer.. no success.

It looks really good besides the bubbles and would really appreciate some advice so I can get this job done!

Thanks!

some pictures are gone but here is the idea on how to do them, i did it came out like it was professionally done, the wet dry sanding is the most important part that makes them like a mirror. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2181389