PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp sensor and boost issues.

JRMSLINEA4
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Guys, my brother drives a 01 A4 1.8T with APR's 93 flash. The coolant gauge does not work at all. I searched and looks like temp sensor but what's weird is that sometimes the car will only boost to 5psi an all gears and then for no reason the boost will come back.(15-20psi) The oil temp gauge and all others are working fine. Could the coolant temp sensor be related to the low boost? Thanks from a B7 guy. [:)]

CzechA4
11-13-2009, 06:41 AM
It could possibly be throwing you into soft limp mode, just replace the temp sensor there like 15 bucks and you can do the job in less than 5 minutes.

bw86
11-13-2009, 08:40 AM
yeah i got my temp sensor from ecs. it literally took 5 minutes to install and i did it at night with just a flashlight.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
yeah i got my temp sensor from ecs. it literally took 5 minutes to install and i did it at night with just a flashlight.

Indeed, very easy and very cheap. Also very likely to fix your problem:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Electrical/Senders_-_Sensors/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply

thenofjboy
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
will a faulty CTS cause isses with boost levels?

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
will a faulty CTS cause isses with boost levels?

Yes it can. It can be forcing your car into limp mode.

Does the car still have heat if you turn the blower on? IE: Is the thermostat opening and closing properly?

thenofjboy
11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes it can. It can be forcing your car into limp mode.

Does the car still have heat if you turn the blower on? IE: Is the thermostat opening and closing properly?

not to thread jack but it is about the concerning topic.
no limp mode problems & the car has heat, but not as hot as it was last year IIRC
but i replaced the thermostat & other misc coolant hoes etc - a couple months ago

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
not to thread jack but it is about the concerning topic.
no limp mode problems & the car has heat, but not as hot as it was last year IIRC
but i replaced the thermostat & other misc coolant hoes etc - a couple months ago

If you've done the thermostat and your heat is weak, you should probably do a full coolant flush. You'd be surprised how much that wakes up your heating system!

Get some new coolant! (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Coolant/ES550/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply )

JRMSLINEA4
11-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Guys, thanks for all the replys. [up] Were replacing the CTS.

JRMSLINEA4
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Update. Car fixed! Thanks again.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Update. Car fixed! Thanks again.

Glad to hear it! It was the CTS then?