PDA

View Full Version : Changing battery on B5



godwine
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

I apologize for being so ignorant, being a car guy, I should know this, but the mechanic at the local Audi dealership scared me somewhat.

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T, B5 platform (am I just repeating myself? :P). The car is 5 years old, and it has the original battery, given the bloody weather here in Toronto, the battery probably won't last more than 2 months. The dealership said that the battery needs to be replaced by a certified Audi mechanic, the reason is that the computer needs to be reset, otherwise the air bags may pop when i disconnect the existing battery or if I reconnect it with the new battery, or some other electronics part will fail.

So my question is, how reliable is that statement? I wanted to change it myself, and if the above statement is false, can someone suggest a brand of battery for the best performance on the B5?

Thanks!

AudiBoy808
01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I changed mine out myself and had no problems. I'm now running a Optima yellow top the only thing is you have to have a custom battery tie down made for it. My friend did mine since he owns a stereo shop. Hope this helps.

Quattrocket
01-06-2005, 06:36 PM
yeah, that mechanic is full of shit, i disconnected and reconnected mine a dozen times and changed the battery. you'll be fine

godwine
01-06-2005, 06:49 PM
thanks guys, really appreciate this, so i guess i am going shopping for batteries this weekend :)

jjjoe
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Sears carries a battery for your car. About $100-110 U.S.

Burntaudi
01-06-2005, 08:03 PM
I recommend Interstate batteries if your going for stock size. One of my buddies works for them and told me that Interstate is very picky about the construction and materials that go into their batterys. Apparantly it's not the same for other brands they just go with the lowest bidder to make their batterys (including Sears)

1.8teeezy
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
go to Sams club Optima Red Top is only 120 CAD

greengravy
01-06-2005, 10:20 PM
my battery actually died while my car was in the shop and i got her back yesterday... so i got it jumped and took it down to sears and just got the international battery because it was what they recommeded since the optima batteries require a tie down and i didnt feel like getting inot all that for a battery when the other one had an 8 year warranty on it and im already running 2 dry cell batteries for my stereo so im not worried about it.... and the mechanic is full of shit... he just wants to beat you for money... prick.... you can do it yourself wihtout a problem

pismojeff
01-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by AudiBoy808
I changed mine out myself and had no problems. I'm now running a Optima yellow top the only thing is you have to have a custom battery tie down made for it. My friend did mine since he owns a stereo shop. Hope this helps.

Where did you get the yellow top and how much did you pay. Can you tell me the exact model as I need to get one of these as well. Thanks,

Jeff

jefferson88
01-07-2005, 05:02 AM
got mine at Crappy tire for 109.99... fits great did it myself.

buck
01-07-2005, 06:29 AM
I just had my battery changed. I ended up with an Interstate battery.

When you disconnect and reconnect your battery, you will have to:

Reset the radio code
Reset your one-touch windows

These can both be done easily by yourself.

If you want to avoid having to reset anything - put jumper cables attached to another battery onto your battery leads before disconnecting so your car never loses power.

godwine
01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
hmm.. can someone refresh my memory? how do i reset the one touch window thing and where is my radio code? now that you mention it, i think there was something written in the user manual.. only if i can find it.... so nobody object to interstate? or optima? what about energizer? does it keep the car going like the bloody bunny?

A4_Andre
01-08-2005, 09:24 AM
u can get the red or yellow top one at sears

pismojeff
01-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by A4_Andre
u can get the red or yellow top one at sears

I called my local Sears and they said they don't make one for our cars. Anyone have the exact model that fits?

buck
01-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by godwine
hmm.. can someone refresh my memory? how do i reset the one touch window thing and where is my radio code? now that you mention it, i think there was something written in the user manual.. only if i can find it.... so nobody object to interstate? or optima? what about energizer? does it keep the car going like the bloody bunny?

your radio code should be in your manual. it tells you how to do it (very easy).

as for the one-touch windows, all you do is open the windows and close them all the way once (by holding the button down). very easy.

I was thinking about the optima as a replacement, but decided against it. Unless you're running a deep repetitive cycle application, it just doesn't seem necessary.

for example - if you are always running your battery down because you play your high powered stereo often without the car running - that's cycling your battery power up and down. This will prematurely wear down regular sealed lead acid (regular type) batteries.

If you just run a regular stereo - a regular lead acid such as interstate, sears or energizer will do you fine. you don't need to spend the extra $$$$$ on a drycell (optima).

They also don't make a perfect fit optima battery for our cars. The terminals are reversed on our cars from conventional north american cars - and optima doesn't make a reversed terminal battery (anymore - was called 'orange-top').

pigpen
01-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by godwine
hmm.. can someone refresh my memory? how do i reset the one touch window thing and where is my radio code? now that you mention it, i think there was something written in the user manual.. only if i can find it.... so nobody object to interstate? or optima? what about energizer? does it keep the car going like the bloody bunny? With the car at idle, just hold the two front window switches (as if you're closing them) for 5 seconds or so.

I think it also works with the key ON, but car not running.

Radio code should be in your owner's manual set, in the little audio supplementary booklet.

I got an Interstate battery as well, fit perfect in my 99.5. I didn't need to make a custome tie down or anything...

buck
01-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by pismojeff
I called my local Sears and they said they don't make one for our cars. Anyone have the exact model that fits?

unfortunately there isn't an exact fit anymore - Optima stopped producing the reversed terminal batteries for our cars which were called 'orange top'. you need to make a custom tie-down to hold the optima in place. shouldn't be too difficult to make. I havent' actually had an optima in my car - but from reading up on it, some guys had some difficulties crossing the cables around (due to the reversed terminals on our cars).

Burntaudi
01-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by buck
unfortunately there isn't an exact fit anymore - Optima stopped producing the reversed terminal batteries for our cars which were called 'orange top'. you need to make a custom tie-down to hold the optima in place. shouldn't be too difficult to make. I havent' actually had an optima in my car - but from reading up on it, some guys had some difficulties crossing the cables around (due to the reversed terminals on our cars).

Thats not completly true. Yes they did dicountinued the orange top. But they now make a red top with reversed terminals. I believe it's the group size 34R part# 8003-151 that you want.

pismojeff
01-08-2005, 10:34 AM
thanks burnt

buck
01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Burntaudi
Thats not completly true. Yes they did dicountinued the orange top. But they now make a red top with reversed terminals. I believe it's the group size 34R part# 8003-151 that you want.

well for heavens sake - I just looked it up and they do have reversed terminal one in red top!.... it is however not a perfect fit.

I read up on the website and refreshed my memory:

The redtop is comparable to the usage of a regular lead acid battery.

The yellowtop is specific to deep cycle applications.

Redtop has high cold cranking amps.

once again - the cheap and easy route is to stick with a lead acid. if you don't mind spending the extra $$$, go for the redtop. If you have a winch on your car (joking) or a crazy stereo with gigawattage - yellowtop may be the better choice.

Burntaudi
01-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by pismojeff
thanks burnt

NP....keep in mind like Buck said it is not a perfect fit. It will work but if you want a perfect fit get a OEM fitment like Sears Diehard International or like I said earlier get a Interstate MTP-91