PDA

View Full Version : B5 S4 6spd Problem with 1st

pipemitten
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I have looked through the whole Transmission & Drivetrain Forum and haven't found my problem happening to anyone else. I have had this issue since temperatures locally have began to drop to near freezing. Since I felt this may be fluid related I have since checked my fluid level and quality. My fluid is clean and at the correct level.

My vehicle is a 2000 B5 S4 6spd with 115k miles and has been making a loud clunk and grind sound when going from clutch out neutral to clutch in 1st when vehicle is cold. This sound only happens when you shift at normal or faster than normal time. If you "granny" shift or shift slowly noise does not happen. Also the sound doesn't happen in any other gears. I have researched about the synchronizer blocking ring issues our cars have, does this fit into that, I sure hope not.

Can this issue be a hydraulic issue and maybe a lazy or bad slave cylinder? Pumping the clutch has no change.
Please help. Experts Wanted.

pipemitten
11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I forgot to add that the problem goes away after engine warms and car is driven around for a few minutes.

can't anyone help or add something to this?

pipemitten
11-08-2009, 07:54 AM
no one has any ideas???

Scotty@Advanced
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
It could be your first gear syncro but I'd try a fluid drain and fill to see if it helps.

pipemitten
11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
What Fluid should I use? Redline Mt-09 gear lube, OEM Audi lube (rape lube), generic API Gl-5 with any LSD additives?

Scotty@Advanced
11-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd use an inexpensive GL4 fluid. If it changes the behavior then swap in the good stuff, Redline MT90 or the factory fluid. That way if the problem isn't corrected your out $15 bucks instead of $40.

pipemitten
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm going to go ahead and swap out the fluid for the redline mt-90. If I am in need a rebuilt unit or parts to rebuild the trans myself, what services or parts does your company offer scotty.
On a side note, anyone have any tricks to bleeding the clutch? I cant even see the slave cylinder.

Scotty@Advanced
11-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm going to go ahead and swap out the fluid for the redline mt-90. If I am in need a rebuilt unit or parts to rebuild the trans myself, what services or parts does your company offer scotty.
On a side note, anyone have any tricks to bleeding the clutch? I cant even see the slave cylinder.

We offer just about everything you need to service, rebuild or replace your trans, send me a PM, call, or email when you find out what the transmission issue is to discuss.

The slave cylinder is located on the top of the trans towards the drivers side. Best way to get to it is from underneath the car

pipemitten
11-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I ordered the Redline Mt-90. I'll keep you posted. If I need to replace the 1-2 synchronizer what presses or vices will i need? specialty tools? I am more than willing to do the rebuild myself.

Scotty@Advanced
11-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I ordered the Redline Mt-90. I'll keep you posted. If I need to replace the 1-2 synchronizer what presses or vices will i need? specialty tools? I am more than willing to do the rebuild myself.

You'll need a decent shop press to get the shift hubs off, and a good medium sized 3 jaw gear puller. You can use a 2 jaw puller if you get it square on the gears. It really helps to have the special internal bearing puller to get the main shaft thrust bearing race off the shaft but you can pry the case up gently to get it out.

pipemitten
11-14-2009, 01:38 PM
can i buy a overhaul manual any where? like the ones like TranStar sells for many gm's? Should I get the dvd from JHMotorsports?