PDA

View Full Version : Hardwiring Headlight Washers



chaua1
01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Anyone done this before? I'd like to do this since the headlight washers use too much of my fluid. I'd like it to only go up when I want it to. It seems like I'm refilling the tank every other week when it snows. Anyone have the wiring diagrams to the washers?

EuroA4
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
instead...don't hold the washer fluid down...do short burts, and the h/l washers will not spray. But interesting idea.

nramsey
01-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Also, I believe the headlight squirters only activate when the headlights are on. If you don't want them to spray just turn your headlights off for a second. May not be very good at night, but works fine during the day [:)]

SeanF
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
i do what nate said...

DDQ
01-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Huh? They have nothing to do with headlights being turned on - at least not in my car. I do not think the headlight washers are electrical at all. They just flip up from the pressure.

I permanently turned mine off, I hated them. They just spray water all over my car and make a mess. I just pulled off the washer fluid line that runs to the bumper (on the driver's side - that one fuels both headlight sprayers). I then folded it over, and clamped it shut. That's all.

k-red
01-05-2005, 06:29 AM
The headlight washers only work when the headlights turn on....
Its funny that this thread was created, because I was wondering the same thing this morning.

DDQ
01-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by k-red
The headlight washers only work when the headlights turn on....
Its funny that this thread was created, because I was wondering the same thing this morning.

Are you sure about that? I guess I just assumed since there's no wiring running to those washers that they weren't electrical. Either way, I hate those dumb things, they're pointless.

Burntaudi
01-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by DDQ
Are you sure about that? I guess I just assumed since there's no wiring running to those washers that they weren't electrical. Either way, I hate those dumb things, they're pointless.

Thats the way it is on my car they only come on when the headlights are on.
Not electrical how do you think the washer pump works?...it's electric.
I think the way it works on our cars is there is 2 washer pumps 1 for the windshield 1 for the heahlight washers...the healight washer pump only has power going to it if the headlghts are turned on.

e.van
01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that there is wiring running to the bottom of the fluid tank, where as Alex said, there is a second motor, and I've tried mine with the headlights on and off, and I am 463% sure they only work with the lights on.

I think I might disconnect mine, since only the passenger side works - driver's side was hit before I bought the car, bent the bumper frame and crumpled the washer housing thing. New bumper frame didn't fix it. And they do indeed make a mess.

chaua1
01-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by nramsey
Also, I believe the headlight squirters only activate when the headlights are on. If you don't want them to spray just turn your headlights off for a second. May not be very good at night, but works fine during the day [:)]

I do that only when im driving under 40mph, but driving at 80mph with the windows smeared is another story. I think I might just disconnect them tonight until someone finds some info on the electrical pumps.

On the plus side, I've got 7 inches of snow outside :)

k-red
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I just talked to a dealer rep out in Centenial, CO, and he said its snowing pretty good out there. We're getting your left over crap up here. lol.

chaua1
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Yea its been snowing alot over the past 36 hours. It should make for great riding this weekend. I just got new boots and I'm dying to try them out.

Mazarin
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I like my headlight aliens. I wanna turn them around a shoot the car in front of me :P

Seriously tho, how do you take the caps off of the washers? I gotta get my driver's side one painted...

Burntaudi
01-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mazarin
I like my headlight aliens. I wanna turn them around a shoot the car in front of me :P

Seriously tho, how do you take the caps off of the washers? I gotta get my driver's side one painted...

You can carefully pull up on the headlight washer...so that it's in it's extended position and then you will see that there are a couple of tabs holding it in place it will pop right off.

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I love those things, they really come in handy in heavy snow.

jefferson88
01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
If you follow the advice earlier in the post and do a few quick squirts they don't turn on... no need to cut wires or what not.