PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying an A4...Help, i know nothing!

backinblackz28
01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I have been a huge american car buff, as i currently drive a 95 camaro with around 410 HP, and a lifted 95 jeep wrangler. I am in college right now, and do a lot more driving then i used to do when i was at home. I will not drive the camaro in inclement weather, and dont even insure it in the winter, so i do 80% of my driving in the jeep. The problem is that i am driving around 300-400 miles a week, and the jeep gets 13 mpg. The ride is aweful as well, because of the suspension lift and tires. I have broken down and want to sell the jeep for a more practical car. An Audi A4 with quattro will get me what i think i want. Good winter handling, better mpg, and style to boot. I can prolly sell my jeep for $7000-7500. Is this going to be enough money? I know at that price i will prolly only be able to get an A4 with a lot of miles. Anything i should look for? Some years better? Engines Better? I want a manual tranny, i know that. Any helpful insight is welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

brettuzzi
01-04-2005, 02:52 PM
every year has its troubles.. for that much you'd definately be looking at a B5.

There was a Service Action on control upper arms (Audi will only fix if there is a problem with them).. has it been performed?

Regarding engines, to each their own, but the 1.8t is widely regarded as the best choice of engine, at least compared to the 12v 2.8 and 30v 2.8 - though if you're not planning on modding at ALL, the 2.8 will definately put down more power, obviously.

Numerous reports of cats plugging up (on the 1.8t)
Coil packs going sounds like a common occurance, though I haven't dealt with it myself yet and I'm at 176,000km (100,000m)

Note: the MPG won't be any better if you love the sound and feeling of boost [:p]

I'm also not the best person to be asking about this, this is just what I've heard a lot about. I'm sure someone else will pipe up and cover the smaller stuff I left out.

LEDFoot
01-04-2005, 02:54 PM
You should be pretty close in price to maybe a 97 A4 with not too many miles for that kind of money. Newer year you would have to go with higher mileage.

Personally I would go for the 1.8T engine with a manual transmission. It's more "tunable" than the 2.8 and it's also a lot lighter wich makes a big difference when you drive it.

I don't know much about the 2.8, but the 1.8t is nearly indestructible save for the turbo wich for some reason Audi decided to make much too small. Turbo failure on the 1.8t is however very rare, but if it does happen it's pretty expensive. I wouldn't worry about it, it's more common on chipped S4s but I personally don't know of anyone who has had it happen on the 1.8t .

The sport package is pretty nice with 16 in wheels and a lower suspension. If you intend to mod any of that however I wouldn't spend money on the sports package. There is a cold weather package with heated seats and mirrors which is probably nice to have in chicago.

If you get one with higher miles > 60k or so you may want to check if the timing belt has been replaced or factor in the cost of having it replaced (~$700 to get it done) since the belt tensioners have a tendency to fail. And if your timing belt jumps or breaks you're stuck with a huge mess of an engine with bent valves and all sorts of stuff.

99.5 is usually considered the "best" year model since it was the last of the drive-by-cable throttles and it's easier to tune them, but in reality there isn't all that much difference between that and a 97.

AudiSnawb
01-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Audi's are great cars, just make sure that you can save... or have funding to do repairs... such as a costly timing belt and H2O pump... runs as cheap as 800 bucks and as expensive as 1500 (depends where you bring it)... also be aware of the control arm/suspension issues as stated above. Oil leaks/sludge problems are another thing to be careful about. If you do buy an A4 try to get one Audi certified, that way if bad things happen, it will be covered... besides that they are stylish, fun, and a blast to modify. You'll get alot more ladies in an Audi than a Chevy :) When you decide to get one, let me be the first to welcome you to the Audi familly, and the even better Audizine familly! Good luck in your search

PrequelsA4
01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
i'm that much closer to getting an A4,this forum has helped understand Euros better,and they alot different from imports.

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I enjoy my 01 A4 much more then I enjoyed my 00 Prelude VTEC. It's quite the car compaired.

greengravy
01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
with 7500 you should be able to land a nice 97, 98, or if you are really lucky even a 99 with decent miles. they are out there, you just have to search frequently. to get a price like that you would have to buy private... jsut dont get suckered and make sure, whatever you do, if it has 60XXX plus miles that the timing belt has been changed, if not youre going to want to do that asap!!! keep an open eye and you will find something very nice for the money. odds are you will end up with something in the 80k plus range as far as miles go but even still thats not bad as long as you take care of the basics, ie change oil, timing belt, sh*t like that.... good luck!